Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

Where to start- need a dyslexia eval

Sounds good! So even a hint of the outcome or nothing? They always keep it close to the vest, sigh.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Sounds good! So even a hint of the outcome or nothing? They always keep it close to the vest, sigh.

So, she said dd just kept climbing and climbing on the cognitive end to the point she was thinking “why is this kid here?” but then on the reading and memory part she could see some things. She said she isn’t sure if it will come back as dyslexia. Apparently someone else is who compiles it into the report with any Dx? She kept saying it might be a learning disability instead of dyslexia, so I’m not sure what that means exactly. But then she said they may put it as dyslexia? Idk. It was hard to talk too because dd was right there and dh was trying to distract her over somewhere so we weren’t  talking about her in front of her to make her more self conscious....

Points she made- had we waited two more months- so dd was actually INTO the age of 7, she may have scored more apparent/definitively  on whatever the reading issues  were as far as dyslexia  (sorry my head is swimming after sitting there over 4 hours- they got a bit of a late start- and then being in the car two hours each way!). I wish the guy I booked with had mentioned that. She said dd was really young. I guess they don’t test a ton of kids this young maybe? 

Mentioned memory as being the biggest flag for her. Attention was good- easy to redirect the couple of times she faded. They only took one short break to stretch through the whole 4 hours, which I took as a good sign in the attention end. Meanwhile dh and I made numerous trips to vending machines and bathrooms, LOL. She said what I was doing was great in that it has gotten dd as far as she’s at, but from her perspective we need a lot of drill/repetition on the reading and math. 

Oh and said dd did great on nonsense words and terrible on sight words. Riddle me that. Memory again? 

Thats all I can remember, LOL. My brain is fried. Can’t imagine dd’s! 

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan
  • Like 1

I’m glad it went well 🙂. I hope you can find out soon.

Okay — here’s what I think of the comment about dyslexia or learning disability.  

First — different areas do use different terms in different ways.  You can’t be sure exactly what people mean sometimes.  That is a thing.

Second, the recently updated DSM 5 changed some labels.  For example — before DSM 5, at least in DSM 4, there were 3 different diagnoses Autistic Disorder, Pervasive Developmental Disorder — Not Otherwise Specified, and Aspergers.  Then in DSM 5, for the most part those were all combined into Autism Spectrum Disorder.

That is what (usually) will go on paperwork, because (for the most part) they need to be consistent with DSM 5 and have a diagnostic code that gets written on paperwork.  

My google is failing to find me a link to what it says in DSM 5.  Off the top of my head it says Specific Learning Disability — Reading and then within the blurb it mentions dyslexia. But maybe not or I would be able to google it???  

• Like 2

https://psychcentral.com/disorders/specific-learning-disorder/

Okay — I just skimmed down and it does look like they quote the DSM 5 on this.  No idea about this particular website in general but it came up in google.

Good luck 🙂. It really does sound like it went well!  It sounds like a nice place and like you will get some good information 🙂

• Like 1

Which is to say — I think the person may have meant — if there an a diagnosis made it may come back saying SLD — Reading 315.00 instead of saying Dyslexia.  Or it might say dyslexia in the body of the report but then it might say SLD Reading 315.00 somewhere on the report.  

• Thanks 1

For nonsense words or sight words — in general,  you are going to “sound out” nonsense words.  But a lot of sight words (depending on the kind of sight words they used) are words that don’t sound out regularly (like — said, it is so common but it doesn’t sound out in a usual way... or have, it is another one).  But these are really common words.  I think it’s kind-of a way to look at the sight words known compared to what would be expected, and then the same for nonsense words.

It’s good news on the nonsense words, I bet that is where the person thought “I can tell you have been working with her.”  Just my guess.  

• Like 1

That is fast on the report, the phone call sounds like a nice option 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

She kept saying it might be a learning disability instead of dyslexia

So dyslexia is the term everyone knows, but it's pretty narrow and refers to phonological processing deficits. SLD Reading is your bigger umbrella term and it can encompass comprehension, etc. as well. So yes, DSM5 currently says SLD Reading, which is why a psych might say SLD Reading and then specify specifically dyslexia. We had a couple psychs do that. They'll do it because parents know what to do with dyslexia as a term and don't know what to do with SLD Reading. 

31 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

She said 7-10 days for the report and they’re going to send it and then set up a call to go over it with me

Nice! So what I did with my first eval, on the advice of the ladies here, was to WRITE OUT every single question. Start now, hehe. I had so many, I had a page for every category/topic. Then I'd just put questions on the page for that topic as they came to me. I swear I had 8-10 pages, hahahaha. I'm so bad. And that poor psych was SO worn out, lol. But I learned a ton that way! Don't be afraid to do that. 

You'll have intervention questions, etc., but also think long-term and strengths. At the time my dd was 11/12 and we talked high school and college. I told him how for every subject I have a range of options (very structured textbooks to very out of the box) and asked him for each subject how I should approach it. OVER AND OVER his response was OUT OF THE BOX. That conversation lasted me all through high school, because every time I got squirrelly I was like nope, phd psych told me to go out of the box, lol. And we went out so far it was crazy. 

It's fair game to ask about home life too! If they're looking at executive function, then absolutely you can be asking about chores, home life, sibling interactions. I asked about babysitting. My dh asked about chores. If you have things to get off your chest, that's the time. Of course I did that at the first appointment, not the end, but still. Like really, this is the private time where you can has it out.

That would be a good call to have the kids OUT OF THE HOUSE for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can’t imagine dd’s! 

Yes!!! Give her a milkshake and let her rest tomorrow. She did a total mental marathon today. She might want to watch Beverly Hillbillies all day, lol. That's what my dd would do.

• Haha 1

Oh and said dd did great on nonsense words and terrible on sight words. Riddle me that. Memory again? 

Well, as another point.....you have purposefully not done sight words.  Kids in public school kinder and first spend HOURS drilling the damned things.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

Well, as another point.....you have purposefully not done sight words.  Kids in public school kinder and first spend HOURS drilling the damned things.  

I did make a point of telling them that both on the intake and reiterating to the tester today afterward! I’ll make sure to make a note to discuss on results. 

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Yes!!! Give her a milkshake and let her rest tomorrow. She did a total mental marathon today. She might want to watch Beverly Hillbillies all day, lol. That's what my dd would do.

She asked for a “Three Mousekateer “ bar 😂 she saw in the vending machine while we were waiting, LOL. We had that sucker ready for her the second she came out with lots of hugs. 

Gma has come surprisingly onboard with all of this so we went back there afterward and little kids are staying the night there tonight as a reward. Gma is dd’s Favorite person on earth, and this is the first overnight since my Mom got out of the hospital, so it’s a big deal for them. (And my Dad is there and fine and my Mom seems better than in years with new pulm so dh and I are feeling like we are getting a break tonight after a long day and dd and ds are getting spoiled rotten. Nice end to a very long day. 

• Like 2

And again, thank you all for all the insight and support. Y’all are amazing. I tell dh all the time and read him what y’all say and we are both just amazed with the generosity and support here. Thank you all. Sincerely. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Points she made- had we waited two more months- so dd was actually INTO the age of 7, she may have scored more apparent/definitively  on whatever the reading issues  were as far as dyslexia  (sorry my head is swimming after sitting there over 4 hours- they got a bit of a late start- and then being in the car two hours each way!). I wish the guy I booked with had mentioned that. She said dd was really young. I guess they don’t test a ton of kids this young maybe? 

Some of it might not be that she's young--it can be where the breaks in the scoring norms are between tests. They need to leave enough ceiling on a test to be confident you're getting good results. 

As for sight words--you did do sight words with A Beka, but with A Beka, it's not a sight word unless it can't be sounded out. That makes for a much shorter list. 

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Some of it might not be that she's young--it can be where the breaks in the scoring norms are between tests. They need to leave enough ceiling on a test to be confident you're getting good results. 

As for sight words--you did do sight words with A Beka, but with A Beka, it's not a sight word unless it can't be sounded out. That makes for a much shorter list. 

Yes- I think the breaks thing is what she was getting at, although she said a million times “she’s so young” which I took to mean was unusual for at least who they get to be screened at this place. 

This whole thing has been an eye opener. I honestly never had a clue how subjective all of this was as far as testing and how much debate there was around SLD’s as far as hard research.