Menu

Chemistry

I could really use some help figuring out what to do for dd for chemistry this year. It's coming down to the wire and I just can't decide. My dh lost his main job so I really need to be careful with expenses. I have the Spectrum Chemistry set, would need to buy the consumable set - chemicals etc, that oldest dd used. However, we did not have a great year with that because, although dd got good grades on the tests etc, she felt like she wasn't really understanding things well. So now I am pretty intimidated about trying to use it again with youngest dd. 

I have looked at the parent graded Clover Valley option and both my dd and I thought the honors class looked good. However, even though the parent graded option is significantly cheaper, you also need the textbook, not cheap, and the lab kit, so adds up to quite a bit.

I've looked and looked at the pinned Chemistry thread but can't seem to come up with good ideas. What would you do if you were me?

I should add that I have only rudimentary chemistry knowledge myself.

I would use Georgia Public Broadcasting System's original Chemistry program (there is a newer, much dumbed down version also). There is a student workbook you can print out and answers as well. Given the price (cost of printing) it's a great deal. I can't remember how much I had to purchase in the way of equipment/supplies, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

I would use Georgia Public Broadcasting System's original Chemistry program (there is a newer, much dumbed down version also). There is a student workbook you can print out and answers as well. Given the price (cost of printing) it's a great deal. I can't remember how much I had to purchase in the way of equipment/supplies, though.

TCB, it's called Chemistry: A Study of Matter.  Here are the free videos:  http://www.gpb.org/chemistry-study-of-matter   Student worksheets are available on the individual video topic pages, if you want to take a look at them.  Here's the contact info for the teacher materials ($20 download): https://sellfy.com/p/SVTQ/   The blank student materials should be included in that, as well.  If I remember correctly, there are not keys to the student note-taking guides, but there are keys to all worksheets, labs, quizzes, and tests.  To save ink, you don't have to print out all the keys; you could just grade from the computer.  I do encourage you to watch alongside your dd so that you can understand the material well, too.  It will make helping her - or finding other resources to help her - that much easier.  

• Like 2

Most of the labs are video labs for GPB. There's some prep ("cut this out "or have a "clock on hand" type prep). ETA- Having a textbook of some sort on hand for more explanation is good. The answers are just answers, though, not step-by-step solutions if you need that.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 2