Menu

Am I crazy for starting AAS with my rising 6th grader?

alisoncooks

Younger DD was a very late reader (late 4th grade). We currently use CLE Reading a year behind and she does fine; standardized testing showed her close to grade level in reading now. (She isn't a voracious reader, though; she prefers to read *only* graphic novels/comics.)

We've been using Apples & Pears for several years but it's just not carrying over. She spells very phonetically ("excyoos me") but she also leaves out sounds (though she can tell that she left out something when I ask her to read what she wrote).

I tried All About Spelling many years ago...and it was a disaster. The girls were little(and in the midst of their reading struggles), the tiles were annoying, the whiteboard was a bulky nuisance, etc. I'm reconsidering it because I feel DD needs something drastic,  but also because I see they have a letter tile APP! I'm even thinking of starting with Level 1, just to cover all the basics (she's inconsistent in using c/k to spell the /k/ sound...)

Is this crazy? The thought of starting a multilevel program at this stage of the game makes me...cringe. Anyone have success with an older student starting from the beginning?

I would be afraid that AAS, especially at the lowest levels, would seem too juvenile to a preteen or teenager. I would be more inclined to use something like Logic of English Essentials with an older child. It's never too late to learn good phonics skills but I wouldn't use a program aimed at a young child with an older child or adult without significant modification. And at that point, why not use a program that teaches the same skills in a fashion that is more appropriate for older children and adults? Some other programs you might consider are Spalding, Spell to Write and Read or any other Orton-Gillingham based program.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

She spells very phonetically ("excyoos me") but she also leaves out sounds (though she can tell that she left out something when I ask her to read what she wrote).

Good for you, having her re-read is a great way to help her find and fix errors when she leaves a sound out of a word. Some kids get really confused about long U! I think reviewing the sounds for U would really help with this. I would directly teach it--show the word and ask questions--see if she knows that long U says /y/ + /oo/ for example, and if she knows it's there because of the silent E, and so on. 

7 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I tried All About Spelling many years ago...and it was a disaster. The girls were little(and in the midst of their reading struggles), the tiles were annoying, the whiteboard was a bulky nuisance, etc. I'm reconsidering it because I feel DD needs something drastic,  but also because I see they have a letter tile APP! I'm even thinking of starting with Level 1, just to cover all the basics (she's inconsistent in using c/k to spell the /k/ sound...)

Is this crazy? The thought of starting a multilevel program at this stage of the game makes me...cringe. Anyone have success with an older student starting from the beginning?

Actually, that's just what I did. My kids were 4th and 6th grades when we started. They needed to be directly walked through a lot of things. Level 1 would be an excellent place to start with her too because you can use it to review any sounds (like the long U) that she needs to work on, and because the segmenting exercises are really good for kids who tend to either add sounds or leave sounds out of words. And it will clarify things like when to use C or K for the /k/ sound as you said. 

You can "fast track" though--you don't have to spend time on things she already knows. This article shows what I did with my kids. Level 1 only took us a few weeks, but it was important for that foundation. My oldest got through levels 1, 2, and most of 3 that first year, so you can make a lot of progress. HTH!

• Like 3

I did AAS with my dyslexic son when he was 13 and in 8th grade.  We got through four levels that year, and I think it helped his spelling quite a bit.  That said, the reason we stopped is because he thought it was babyish.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

Not crazy.   It's a program that I think will not come off as babyish, and I'm learning how to spell better while using it to teach my son (and I was an English major in college...not that that means anything when it comes to spelling).  So I think it would be one that would work well with older kids.

• Like 1

I started it when my kids were older too. They learned to read with sight words in ps and it was really becoming apparent that they didn't know phonics. They didn't think it was baby-ish but  they didn't like that they had to start at level 1 and so that motivated them to work hard to get quickly up to grade level.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the thoughts!

I don't feel AAS is babyish (obviously I would accelerate where needed, and I'll probably use the tile app instead of tiles). I guess I was more wondering if there was something similar but more concise. 

I actually have Spelling Through Morphographs, but lesson 1 assumes skills that I think DD lacks. I may come back to that after we cover some basics...?

I used AAS for my oldest when she was in 7th.  She was a fantastic reader, but she went to school for the first few years and they didn't do much phonics.  Her spelling was terrible.  We just did one level and that seemed to boost her to good enough spelling.  We used a spelling workbook for a year or two after that. 

• Like 1

Have you looked at SRA's Spelling Mastery https://www.nifdi.org/programs/spelling/spelling-mastery ?

I don't have very favorable opinions of AAS for an older student. (no offense intended for those you like it.  I just think that there are better options out there.)  The word lists are very simple (low level) and you spend a lot of $$ for what words are covered in a single level.  

Spelling Mastery has a placement test: https://www.nifdi.org/resources/free-downloads/programs/spelling-1/spelling-mastery-1/placement-testing-17/705-spelling-mastery-placement-test/file.html

I think it just depends on the student and how significant their needs are. Some older students really need to start over with the basics and have a lot of gaps to fill in, especially if they are still leaving sounds out of words. Higher level words are covered eventually (AAS includes 9th-12th grade level words), but they are introduced gradually and by pattern rather than grade level. Words that are more complex generally use multiple concepts at once, and while many older students are ready for that, some really need things to be more incremental. It definitely takes time to build up to the higher level words, and you're right that many older students won't need that. It can be really successful for kids like mine who did need that level of help and instruction though! 

• Like 1

I will add that I am dealing with another one who can't remember spelling and it's been 7 years since I used AAS and I do remember that it was a bit time intensive so this time with a 7 year old i'm giving Apples and Pears a try.  It is much easier to use from a teacher perspective. We are only on Level 18 so we shall see how it goes this year.  He is only 7, so really he could just be an average speller, but having had one bad speller and another one who could spell everything and never needed a single spelling lesson, I'm uncertain what normal spelling ability actually is.

Idk, but I'm starting near the beginning with Apples and Pears for a 6th grader. 

He's done AAS for years and has hit a stalling point, so we are going to try a different approach.

Fwiw, I don't think AAS is babyish, but neither is it independent. Love the homophones list, the silent E book, the constant review, and the phonics based approach. We add words that he comes across in reading or misspells is daily use, applying the rules to help him analyze the word. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Idk, but I'm starting near the beginning with Apples and Pears for a 6th grader. 

He's done AAS for years and has hit a stalling point, so we are going to try a different approach.

Fwiw, I don't think AAS is babyish, but neither is it independent. Love the homophones list, the silent E book, the constant review, and the phonics based approach. We add words that he comes across in reading or misspells is daily use, applying the rules to help him analyze the word. 

Ha, we're opposite. We've used A&P for years and are needing a new approach.

I bought the tile app and plan on working with her (we already do spelling together - A&P isn't independent either). 🙂 I'm hoping that going back to the beginning will fill in some gaps...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Ha, we're opposite. We've used A&P for years and are needing a new approach.

I bought the tile app and plan on working with her (we already do spelling together - A&P isn't independent either). 🙂 I'm hoping that going back to the beginning will fill in some gaps...

Marking this thread so we can compare at the end of the year! 

Sometimes a fresh approach is good, esp with an argumentative middle schooler! 😉

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3