Menu

What's with the ads?

Ordinary Shoes

Finding a More Liberal Church

2 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Resurrecting (ha!) this one with a follow up question. 

Do Episcopalians dress up on Sunday? Catholics don't dress up at all, at least in my experience. Orthodox Christians are dressier than Catholics but it's basically work casual with more skirts. Men don't wear suits, for example. 

I want to check out the Episcopal church but have no idea what to wear on Sunday. 

I have this weird idea of Episcopalians (or is it Episcopals?) as either like the family in Life With Father (old fashioned, proper, society-ish) or Stuff White People Like-ish. I know neither is based in reality. 

Perhaps other ex or current Catholics can understand this. 'Doxing' (converting to Orthodoxy) was fine. But Protestant? Oh my! It's taking the soup! It feels like a betrayal of something, IDK. 

More dressy than Catholic Mass, but not suits or anything. Men in khaki pants and dress shirt, women in slacks and a decent top or a dress of some kind. Work casual is probably fine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chiguirre said:

Wow, no. In my family of origin it would be the complete opposite. My Hungarian, Polish and Slovak Habsburg ancestors had a deep distrust of Russians and Serbs. It wouldn't be a big deal to be Lutheran but to have anything to do with the menacing empire on their doorstep would be completely unacceptable.

In dh's Venezuelan family, converting is akin to renouncing your entire social standing. Protestants who are not recent immigrants who brought their faith with them are perceived as selling out their traditions for free stuff (because foreign missionaries often offer precisely that.)

I know these views sounds harsh to American ears, but I think they may allow you to shift your perspective and see that these are just cultural prejudices, not real substantive issues that should influence your choice.

The way your Eastern European ancestors feel about Russians, isn't that dissimilar to the way my Irish Catholic in laws' ancestors felt about English Protestants.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Resurrecting (ha!) this one with a follow up question. 

Do Episcopalians dress up on Sunday? Catholics don't dress up at all, at least in my experience. Orthodox Christians are dressier than Catholics but it's basically work casual with more skirts. Men don't wear suits, for example. 

I want to check out the Episcopal church but have no idea what to wear on Sunday. 

I have this weird idea of Episcopalians (or is it Episcopals?) as either like the family in Life With Father (old fashioned, proper, society-ish) or Stuff White People Like-ish. I know neither is based in reality. 

Perhaps other ex or current Catholics can understand this. 'Doxing' (converting to Orthodoxy) was fine. But Protestant? Oh my! It's taking the soup! It feels like a betrayal of something, IDK. 

There’s a big range of dress possible for Episcopal churches.  Episcopal is the adjective; Episcopalian is the noun “I am an Episcopalian.” “”When I was at an Episcopal high school our Episcopal school headmaster, who was not himself an Episcopalian, emphasized getting that usage right since wrong usage would look bad on college applications.”   I suggest calling the church office or going by to see what people are wearing.   If you care.  Otherwise, something like dressy slacks or a casual dress should be fine whether it’s a mostly jeans wearing or mostly more dressed up church/service.  

Some Episcopal churches have more than one service on Sundays with different levels of formality (and sometimes different versions of the Book of Common Prayer) used at different ones.   Services can range from chanting and swinging censors and all boy choristers (snd Vathedral type buildings) to quite plain, with just the attendees singing the hymns, and little country chapel type buildings.  

Edited by Pen

We have a beautiful Anglican Episcopal church around the corner. My in laws had attended this church when my wife was a child.

When they passed with had both their funerals there. This particular church calls itself "Anglo-Catholic," but is Episcopal with a more "Catholic flavor" than some. The Priest is a lifelong Catholic who converted so he could become a priest and be married.

At the funeral I became aware that some of the more distant relations on my wife's side (who are Catholic) were delighted the service was at a Catholic church. It wan't. And also heard some rumblings that some of the distant relatives who were die-hard Protestants from non-liturgical churches were wondering why the services were being held in a Catholic church. They were not.

The Episcopal church tends to be very liberal and oriented towards social justice, but varies. Sounds like something to consider.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Yes, just like Episcopalian theology and stances on social issues run the gamut from fairly conservative to extremely liberal (but most commonly moderately liberal), Episcopalian liturgy and theology varies from quite Anglo-Catholic to very low church.