Menu

What's with the ads?

soror

August Well-Trained Bodies

Husband took a comic video of me Nordic walking a while back.  I was a bit distracted by our dog because I was afraid of hitting her with the poles.  It was useful because it showed me that I was leaning forward too much, I needed to pull my shoulders back:

• Like 5

@Laura Corin Lovely beach! Wish I could join you on your walks! 

No formal exercise for me today, but I helped set-up and organize water games for my dc's music summer camp. I'm exhausted! I'm not used to lots of littles anymore. They are so adorable and they have way too much energy! 😄

• Like 4

@Laura Corin what a lovely place to walk!  I'd have to drive an hour for such a nice flat sandy spot!

Just got back from my class, oh so thankfully it was all legs and core today, so my shoulders got a break.  It was an ESP day; we had a bunch of progressive hills on the tread, and we also had some 90 sec rowing pieces (which for me is about 400m).

• Like 3

Laura thank you fro the video to see it in action and I'm jealous of your beach too! I generally walk on the pavement b/c that is what is right out the door. I have a wooded trail but it is too overgrown and full of lyme carrying ticks in the summer. 

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

It's a big step. Is that at home or B&M?

He went to public last year in 8th for the first time and that was so hard, I thought this year would be ok after the adjustment last year but there is the nerves of the fact that it counts for credit for college and he is in all honor's classes (although he did well last year, A's with just one B). But this counts for scholarships and college. And they messed up his schedule, the bus was 20 minutes early so he didn't eat breakfast, and I forgot to load his lunch card and you can't buy it with cash. I felt like the worst mother today.

And dd1 was sad and cried b/c she made a really good friend in her 3 month stint in PS last year and she's missing out on getting to see her as much. She chose to come home and stay home but it is not without its minuses, ps just had more minuses. And it weighs heavy on me as I've worked so hard to build a group in our area but there are so few older ones and they get busy. 

My workout at the gym left me a bit discouraged, I was hoping to start gaining back some ground but I'm still stuck, the trainer thinks my form is a bit off after hurting myself and we've got to retrain it. IDK I've built so much muscle.

I'm trying to focus on the positive but today was one of those terrible, no good, very bad days exacerbated my period hormones. 

But I got ds off to school off on time (despite the bus runnign early), taught my classes, we got school done, the girls did fabulous on their African geography tests today. I'm at 11.5 k steps so I'll hit my minimum goal on steps, I hit the gym and gave it what I had. I got some groceries (even though I didn't get my menu or list or menu made I just winged it). 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

45 min in the yard. Pretty sure mowing counts as upper body workout with the slopes I had to go up and down + resistance ha 

Dh offered to pick up items for me yesterday at Sam’s because he was nearby. I had 3 on my list (yogurt, water, bananas). Now we have a box of 24 cans of root beer. Are you kidding me?! Oh and he knows I love to bake and gave me discounted cookie stamps from Home Goods. I think I’ll save the cookie stamps for the next potluck so I don’t eat half a batch myself. We go to a ton of potlucks. 

Told the kids we need some form of PE daily so we’re trying to work it into our daily routine. I figured out how to get the stubborn lock to work so I can get into the basketball court. I’ll let the kids run around and dribble basketballs or something some days. Ds has an archery set and dd has a toy set. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 3

On 8/13/2019 at 9:29 PM, heartlikealion said:

I’ve eaten terribly the past few days. Dh bought tortilla chips and velveeta. Then he asked me to pick him up soda. I ended up eating nachos and soda. Ugh. I have little self control when items get into the house. 

That junk food dessert? Didn’t come out like I wanted. Waste of good ice cream. 

I think I took my medication way too late last night. I was so sleepy and sluggish today. Tonight I went to the gym and did 30 min on the treadmill. Really need to reset my internal clock. 

I've had a bad couple of days, too. My dd's birthday became a slippery slope. 

But today I was back to the right choices. 

• Like 4

Made it to my Piloxing class today. Highly recommend if you ever get a chance to try it!

That makes 4 days in a row. I'm signed up for an Insanity class tomorrow.

My big up and down this week was eating. I had an excellent couple of days, then went way off course on dd's bday, didn't recover well yesterday, but I'm back on track today.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I think I’ll be back on track tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, sassenach said:

Made it to my Piloxing class today. Highly recommend if you ever get a chance to try it!

My big up and down this week was eating. I had an excellent couple of days, then went way off course on dd's bday, didn't recover well yesterday, but I'm back on track today.

Wow that’s a lot of exercise going on this week. How long are the piloxing sessions? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sassenach said:

I've never even heard of that, sounds fun though, I live in a rural area so everything takes forever to make it where I live.

9 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

45 min in the yard. Pretty sure mowing counts as upper body workout with the slopes I had to go up and down + resistance ha 

Dh offered to pick up items for me yesterday at Sam’s because he was nearby. I had 3 on my list (yogurt, water, bananas). Now we have a box of 24 cans of root beer. Are you kidding me?! Oh and he knows I love to bake and gave me discounted cookie stamps from Home Goods. I think I’ll save the cookie stamps for the next potluck so I don’t eat half a batch myself. We go to a ton of potlucks. 

Told the kids we need some form of PE daily so we’re trying to work it into our daily routine. I figured out how to get the stubborn lock to work so I can get into the basketball court. I’ll let the kids run around and dribble basketballs or something some days. Ds has an archery set and dd has a toy set. 

Push mowing up hills is a butt kicker!!! Good plan to stay away from the junk food and get some daily activity in!!

8 hours ago, sassenach said:

Good job!

Today feels much more doable. I got ds off with a hot breakfast in his belly(cooked by 6 am 🙂 and got the kitchen cleaned up along with my 5 minutes of meditation before classes this am. 

I'm currently waiting for a student to show up, this morning will be 4 classes(2 hrs) then some house cleaning. And FINALLY shopping that has been put off all week, another trip to the library, and I have to get ds' scrip to take to the school, which makes me nervous, so I'm trying not to think about it. Dd1 has a sleepover tonight and I'm considering inviting some friends over to play this afternoon, we'll see.

No official exercise but I'd like to get in a walk, some stretching, and hit a minimum of 12k steps.

I'm focusing on lots of fruits and veggies today and meal planning.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I think I’ll be back on track tomorrow. 

Wow that’s a lot of exercise going on this week. How long are the piloxing sessions? 

The classes are about 50 min. On Mon/Wed I take regular Pilates. Tues/Thur is Piloxing. Today is a class called Insanity, which kept me from trying it for a long time. Really, it’s just 40 min of HIIT.  This has been my summer pattern but I don’t think I’ll be able to keep up with it when school starts. 

• Like 3

Today the kids did archery outside (ok dd used her plastic set like 3 seconds). Then we walked to the basketball court and played there a while. Then after the kids got settled and ate lunch I mowed the front yard (figured I'd do it then since I was already sweaty. Dh asked me to mow that section). I didn't time it or have a tracker today but I'm satisfied with my exercise today. 

• Like 2

I have a little more than a week before the Business Suit Conference.

I think I have made progress, but still have a ways to go.  It is hard to keep saying no to temptation.  Also my daily exercise has gotten wimpier and wimpier each day.  😕  I need to stay inspired.

I'm going to try to be ready for the TKD belt test in September.  If I pass, then I will have two more belts (roughly 4 months) before I can join my kids' higher level class.  If I'm going with them, I will probably be more consistent about it.

• Like 4

I ran 2 miserable miles yesterday morning. I didn’t start my Garmin properly (I can’t wear my glasses while running I sweat too much and I can’t see the clock face without them 😢). So while running I was thinking I know it’s been more than a mile but no beep reset the watch and ran another mile. I felt terrible the entire run. I dropped my ds off at xc practice and by that time felt pretty good. I went ahead and ran a decent 3 miles when I got home. 

Today I went to yoga and ran a very slow 5 miles this afternoon.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, hshibley said:

I ran 2 miserable miles yesterday morning. I didn’t start my Garmin properly (I can’t wear my glasses while running I sweat too much and I can’t see the clock face without them 😢). So while running I was thinking I know it’s been more than a mile but no beep reset the watch and ran another mile. I felt terrible the entire run. I dropped my ds off at xc practice and by that time felt pretty good. I went ahead and ran a decent 3 miles when I got home. 

If the watch doesn't record it, it's like it never happened!  😂  I love my Garmin, but I do find the number of times I have to press the forward button before actually "launching" could somehow have been better programmed.  

-------

My SIL asked me to run a half-marathon relay with her while we're in CA in early Oct (so we'd each do a  quarter marathon, approx 11km/6.5 miles) and so now we're all signed up.  Then I took a look at a race page from a race I'd been considering last year before falling off the wagon, and I see they also offer a quarter marathon.  It's Sept 7th.  So, I am tentatively planning to run that with my son (12) if we manage to do a 10k a couple of times beforehand.  I've done a few 10-11k runs in the last few weeks, and he comfortably runs 7km right now, so I think we can do it.  Luckily we can enter up to 3 days beforehand, so I can see how he does over 10k a couple of times.  He's pretty excited though.  

I'm still fiddling with HR zones, finding various formulas online that "allow" slightly higher percentages in each zone, lol.  So I think we'll look to run about 4-5 zone 2 runs according to the Runner's World calculation, which puts Z2 at up to 75% (and based on my personal effort perception, this "feels" more right to me as I can definitely still converse at 75%) and 1-2 runs in Z4 (85%+) efforts mixed with Z3 recoveries (hills and fartleks and such).  We'll see how that goes!  As I've learned with homeschooling, I'm incapable of following other people's plans.  I study them until I know how to build my own.    

• Like 4

On 8/11/2019 at 6:01 AM, soror said:

re: stretching- I stretch at the end of weight training or sometimes between sets if I'm getting too hot. 

I do some dynamic stretching after warm-up before hitting the weights and also when going heavy we'll do some practice sets at lower weights.

Last week I hit 96,800 steps and 469 active minutes; Walks every day; 3 days strength work- 3 hrs Ninja Gym Mon/3 hrs Rock Climbing Wed/Lower Body Thurs @ home; Mon- dance workout at home and 3 days with some run intervals

This week's goals:

Avg 10k+ steps a day

3 strength training sessions; watching my breathing; Starting Beautiful Badass this week but will be doing upper body work with the trainer Tuesday

Walks 5+ days a week (1 mile min)

1 day sprints

1 day+ intervals walk/run

So far, so good the body is responding well to adding in some running so I'm going to add a bit by bit. 

Keep on, keeping on with food, I had some splurges on vaca and never get as many veggies at home but eating is back to normal now; Today's bfast is plain steelcut oats w/ fresh peach and turkey bacon; lunch- baked chicken wrap w/ salad; dinner- baked eggplant and roasted veggies w/ marinara; snacks- square dark chocolate; homemade pumpkin superhero muffins

So, I hit:

4 walks (Sun, Wed, Thurs, Sat)

3 strength sessions (2 done already 1 today)

10k+ steps (I wished for more but at least got that much)

No sprints or intervals yet, I'll have to get those today.

I also got in yoga and foam rolling.

6 days of mindfulness

So, I felt like it wasn't that good of a week but not so horrible when looking at my goals. I felt tired a lot this week and some dizzyness. My sleep is better now that my period has passed but I've just got to catch up, tomorrow I actually get to sleep in(this week I've been up by 5 most days and 5:30 on the "late" days) and I should get to take a nap today.

Edited by soror
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

If the watch doesn't record it, it's like it never happened!  😂  I love my Garmin, but I do find the number of times I have to press the forward button before actually "launching" could somehow have been better programmed.  

-------

My SIL asked me to run a half-marathon relay with her while we're in CA in early Oct (so we'd each do a  quarter marathon, approx 11km/6.5 miles) and so now we're all signed up.  Then I took a look at a race page from a race I'd been considering last year before falling off the wagon, and I see they also offer a quarter marathon.  It's Sept 7th.  So, I am tentatively planning to run that with my son (12) if we manage to do a 10k a couple of times beforehand.  I've done a few 10-11k runs in the last few weeks, and he comfortably runs 7km right now, so I think we can do it.  Luckily we can enter up to 3 days beforehand, so I can see how he does over 10k a couple of times.  He's pretty excited though.  

I'm still fiddling with HR zones, finding various formulas online that "allow" slightly higher percentages in each zone, lol.  So I think we'll look to run about 4-5 zone 2 runs according to the Runner's World calculation, which puts Z2 at up to 75% (and based on my personal effort perception, this "feels" more right to me as I can definitely still converse at 75%) and 1-2 runs in Z4 (85%+) efforts mixed with Z3 recoveries (hills and fartleks and such).  We'll see how that goes!  As I've learned with homeschooling, I'm incapable of following other people's plans.  I study them until I know how to build my own.    

Wow, good for you, and that will be great motivation.

12 hours ago, hshibley said:

Oh, that is annoying about the watch and stinks that your runs we're crappy, hopefully next time you have a better time of it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, soror said:

So, I hit:

4 walks (Sun, Wed, Thurs, Sat)

3 strength sessions (2 done already 1 today)

10k+ steps (I wished for more but at least got that much)

No sprints or intervals yet, I'll have to get those today.

I also got in yoga and foam rolling.

6 days of mindfulness

So, I felt like it wasn't that good of a week but not so horrible when looking at my goals. I felt tired a lot this week and some dizzyness. My sleep is better now that my period has passed but I've just got to catch up, tomorrow I actually get to sleep in(this week I've been up by 5 most days and 5:30 on the "late" days) and I should get to take a nap today.

That sounds like a very good week!  I'm especially impressed by all that mindfulness! 

I had a very potato day yesterday - sure it was a rest day, but my fitbit tells me I barely moved, even though I did go out in the morning, it was to tutor, so I still really only got the walk to/from the car...  This morning I've already got my OT workout in and a trip to the grocery store and I've already got almost as many way more steps as all day yesterday. :blush: 

Do you guys mostly do yoga at home?   I can't afford more classes, even though that's what really gets me to do things.  I'm already in my workout clothes this morning, though, I'm thinking maybe I should try some yoga and/or pilates later...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

That sounds like a very good week!  I'm especially impressed by all that mindfulness! 

I had a very potato day yesterday - sure it was a rest day, but my fitbit tells me I barely moved, even though I did go out in the morning, it was to tutor, so I still really only got the walk to/from the car...  This morning I've already got my OT workout in and a trip to the grocery store and I've already got almost as many way more steps as all day yesterday. :blush: 

Do you guys mostly do yoga at home?   I can't afford more classes, even though that's what really gets me to do things.  I'm already in my workout clothes this morning, though, I'm thinking maybe I should try some yoga and/or pilates later...

My place of work has a gym and my cheap employee membership includes classes. They work out at about £3 to £5 a class. I like Adrienne's classes on YouTube, but I don't have the self discipline to exercise at home.

• Like 3

This has been a good week.  I've averaged over 10,000 steps a day and only missed doing 10,000 one day. I've done two long and five short mindfulness sessions. Three Nordic walks and a bunch of brisk walks. Two yoga classes. Weight has stayed steady.

I recalibrated my maximum heart rate on my Fitbit half way through the week. It shows 170 minutes of cardio and peak combined. Sleep was a bit erratic. Okay on average but not very consistent.

This week one of my yoga teachers is away, so I'll try to force myself to do at least one session at home.

Tomorrow I'll spend most of the day in the garden.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

My place of work has a gym and my cheap employee membership includes classes. They work out at about £3 to £5 a class. I like Adrienne's classes on YouTube, but I don't have the self discipline to exercise at home.

Similar here, I have a membership at the gym by where the kids do TKD, dh's work subsidizes membership. I pay $8 a month they have a great weight room with cardio machines and the classes they have come with membership. Now before I used to workout exclusively at a yoga studio and at home, at the yoga studio they had class passes. As of late I've just been doing yoga on my own but my friend and I are planning on hitting a yoga class Monday night together.

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

This has been a good week.  I've averaged over 10,000 steps a day and only missed doing 10,000 one day. I've done two long and five short mindfulness sessions. Three Nordic walks and a bunch of brisk walks. Two yoga classes. Weight has stayed steady.

I recalibrated my maximum heart rate on my Fitbit half way through the week. It shows 170 minutes of cardio and peak combined. Sleep was a bit erratic. Okay on average but not very consistent.

This week one of my yoga teachers is away, so I'll try to force myself to do at least one session at home.

Tomorrow I'll spend most of the day in the garden.

WTG meeting your goals! Good luck getting yoga done at home on your own.

I lifted with my friend, I really, really didn't feel like working out at all but it was good as always with my friend. We talked about life, family, and fitness goals and plans. 

I need to get in some steps, so not feeling it today.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, soror said:

WTG meeting your goals! Good luck getting yoga done at home on your own.

Ended the day by scrubbing the shower. Bending, stretching.....

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Ended the day by scrubbing the shower. Bending, stretching.....

LOL, cleaning out the tubs and showers is always a workout!!

It's time for goals for the week. 

I realized talking to my friend that I'd been a bit hard on myself. Last week was full of stress with ds starting school and as Moms we take care of everything. Now this week ds will be really getting in the swing of school(and his schedule is still not exactly right which might mean another trip up there) and dh's college semester starts, putting even more on me. Along with that we have our first homeschool meeting(my group and I've still got some loose ends to tie up) and recruitment for my girl's Troop. Along, with of course schooling the girls and working Mon-Sat mornings. 

So, with that in mind I'm going for keeping steady and not adding anything on, except relaxing and self-care.

This week's goals:

-5 walks (short is fine- just want to get out the door and outside); 10k+ steps a day

-3 strength sessions and 1 session w/ some interval training of some sort

-1 yoga session/class (plan to go with my friend to a class Mon night but if that falls through at home on Wed)

-7 days mindfullness

-foam rolling and/or epsom salt bath on Wed.

I started today with sleeping in, and got about 9!! hours of sleep. I had some mindfulness this morning. Today we'll be doing some work outside, we've got a fence post to replace from a storm. I also need to get some meal prep done to prep for busy days and finish up laundry. That will be enough activity for me today! 

• Like 4

Goals for this week

Two sessions of yoga, one at home

At least two Nordic walks

Brisk walks and mindfulness every workday

Maintain weight

Lots of water drunk at weekend

ETA: lots of daily back stretches.  Worried that this back problem could become chronic.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

All I got to do yesterday was go on a walk with dd. Dh was gone most of my waking hours so I didn’t go to the fitness center like I’d originally planned. 

Oh well. Time outside was good. 

• Like 4

This is back to school week, so I’m anticipating the pains of finding a new normal. I wish summer was always.

Goals:

3 pilates/barre classes

1 run

continue strict no dairy, no grains

lose 1-2lb

Exercise is going to be challenging because my Y is shutdown for the week. I’m doing a free trial of Class Pass and hoping I can patch something together. 

• Like 4

This last week I walked a total of 1/2 hour on Sunday, rowed on Monday, and did OT workouts T/W/Th/Sat.  Not entirely sure what this week will hold, as I still haven't heard what's up with rowing going forward.  I already have workouts scheduled at OT T/Th/Sat/Sun - if rowing falls through I will add M, W or maybe both.  Weight is pretty much holding steady.  My BMI at this point is 23, so decently in the healthy range, and my body fat percentage, while not great for a 20-something, also is apparently in a healthy range for 54-year-old me.  At this point I'm putting more focus on maybe readjusting that percentage lower (and adding muscle) than worrying about weight as an absolute number.

Goals, hmmm.. I would like to add some mindfulness, yoga and/or pilates, and something else outside, esp. if rowing doesn't continue.  I guess for next week, if any one of those happens on top of what I'm already doing would be a good goal.  And maybe to get 10K steps at least one day? (Yeah, that didn't happen this week...)  I'd say 10K every day, but I'd rather set achievable goals... one step at a time! 😄  I know myself enough that incremental goals are the only ones that have any hope of success...

• Like 1