Menu

After Precalculus for non-STEM student

My dd, now in 10th grade, wants to major in English. She’ll do Precalculus in 11th. What should she do in 12th? Is there a point in her taking AP Calculus? (Note that she’ll already be doing AP English). So what other DE or AP can she take that would count toward her general education math requirement in college? 

Edited by Maryam

AP Statistics would be my pick. My older girls are nursing majors, so not only did AP Stats fulfill their math gen ed, it satisfied their stats requirement for nursing school.

Beyond ‘checking boxes’, I think statistics is just a very useful topic of study generally. Understanding stats helps the average person make sense of our data-driven world.

• Like 7

AP Stats may. not fill the math requirement. Ds’s school counted it as a general elective.  I am pretty sure the pre-calculus CLEP would have, though. So, you might look at possible colleges and see what they do.  My ds did do calc and AP stats ( but not AP Calc.).   I thought AP stats was a good class.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, freesia said:

AP Stats may. not fill the math requirement. Ds’s school counted it as a general elective.  I am pretty sure the pre-calculus CLEP would have, though. So, you might look at possible colleges and see what they do.  My ds did do calc and AP stats ( but not AP Calc.).   I thought AP stats was a good class.

Is community college Precalculus different than high school Precalculus? I mean is t taken after high school Precalculus or instead of? 

And what online AP Statistics class do you all recommend?

It’s only different in that it is covered in a semester rather than a year.  Otherwise it should cover the same topics.

We did Edhesive, which was fine, but didn’t include grading the FRQs, so I didn’t love it. I think he got a 4 on the exam.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Beyond ‘checking boxes’, I think statistics is just a very useful topic of study generally. Understanding stats helps the average person make sense of our data-driven world.

I agree wholeheartedly! My older son took AP Stats through PAH and my younger son took DE Statistics at our local community college. Both sons gleaned everyday-useful information (and dare I say...wisdom and discernment) from the course. The material from the AP and the DE courses was very similar. 

My older son is a math/stats major, so his AP credit was useless for college, but my younger son's DE class counts as his gen ed math requirement (non-stem) at his university. He was SO pleased! lol

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

. Both sons gleaned everyday-useful information (and dare I say...wisdom and discernment) from the course.

All of a sudden you realize that all those studies in articles they are citing might not be telling you what they are saying they are telling you. You start to really question what you are reading.... I had a data analysis/stats class once in grad school and that's all we did - deconstruct other people's scientific studies in social sciences. 

Everybody should learn stats! 

• Like 5

My daughter majored in Classics/Latin and minored in Geology at college.

I (not she) was vaguely regretful that she did not take Calculus as she had to forgo taking several Geology classes which had a Calculus prerequisite; however, she commented several times that she was grateful for having taken Statistics as that knowledge has been useful.  In fact, she named Statistics as one of the two most valuable classes she took in high school!  The Statistics class she took was an AP class offered by Pennsylvania Homeschoolers and taught by Carole Matheny.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3