Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

What to buy for Hands on Equations

I want to buy HOE to use with ds as a supplement after seeing so many recs here. I am not sure what all I need to buy though. Can someone tell me what all I should get, and is this website the best place to purchase from? 

http://www.borenson.com/Products/Parent-Materials

I'm assuming the learning system, but not sure what else- like the DVDs and the fractions? 

The Verbal Book is the best part of the program in my opinion. I have never seen or used the fraction materials, though.

How old is your ds? I was thinking that your little guy's were young, like 2nd grade down. I wouldn't recommend HOE until 3rd grade for advanced students, 4th grade for avg students.

• Like 1

I bought the whole kit and have made use of it all. If the dvd wasn't so horribly made, I could have made further use of it. As it was, once was enough. I don't remember which year we used the fractions supplement, but I used the rest in grade three with my dyscalculic kid and she did very well with it. 

Thank you both! I ended up ordering the deluxe kit off of Rainbow Resource yesterday- I had given up anyone was going to reply! It does come with the Verbal problems so that's good.  I didn't order the fractions yet. I figured we'd see how we do with the straightforward part first. 

He is fresh turned 8 but he's a bit accelerated on math and picks things up fast. They had a video with a young girl demonstrating and from seeing that part,  I think he'll be able to do at least the beginner level of it, but I couldn't see any samples, so if he's not I'll shelve it for 6 months. I've already been showing him single variables on a white board, so I think he'll really like this. 

1 hour ago, Homeschoolmom3 said:

Wondering how it is going with this curriculum and how you all liked it.  Is it worth it? 

I am not who you were asking, but I will answer anyway.  😉

We LOVE HOE here.  I did not buy all the bells and whistles, and I have not missed them.

My kids always start with the apps.  I have no interest in buying and storing all the special dice, balance scales and pawns, so for a few bucks the apps work beautifully to introduce the system.  By that point my kids have already gone through Dragonbox algebra, so they move through all the HOE apps fairly quickly.

Next I bought the Hands-On Equations Verbal Problems Book Digital Download.  Since the kids are familiar with the balance scales from the apps, they just draw their own to work on.  For numbers we use a base ten set (the little plastic cubes, sticks and "flats" representing 1, 10 and 100).  HOE uses dice, but I prefer the base ten set because I feel it more intuitively represents the actual quantities involved.  When we get to negatives I paint some of the cubes and sticks with black tempera paint to make them "anti-cubes" and "anti-sticks".  The paint washes off down the road.  For the pawns we just use...whatever identical objects we have on hand...poker chips, unifix cubes, beads, M+Ms if we need a little motivation.

HOE, especially the verbal problems book, has been a boon for our family.

• Like 1

Another who loves the HOE Verbal Problems book.  My 4th grader just writes the problems out on a dry erase board as equations.  My kids are not big manipulative fans, so even though we have a laminated balance beam and pawns, I have no idea where they are.  

• Like 1

Great, thanks!  We have used Strayer-Upton and it has worked great but he has moved on quite quickly and I thought adding in HOE and possibly the fractions for grade 4&5 would add some more variations to our lessons and slow his speed down a bit.  He is technically finishing 3rd grade but we finished book 1 this year. (for grades 3-4)  We teach concrete to abstract and master based with review.  I would love to hear any other things you like or how you implement the program....thanks for those who have responded!!