Menu

Help with Social Sciences/History!

Help please! Planning for my 2nd in line is presenting its challenges. This dd cannot handle quite the workload her older brother could... so what do I do? She is college-bound, so it is important for us to have her take APs as we can. So here's what I'm wondering.

9th - AP Human Geography (could not take the AP exam due to illness, will try to brush up and take it this year)
10th- AP Macro / AP Micro - (I was planning on USH with Macro/Micro, but that pushes her to 7 credits. Can Macro/Micro count as her 'history'?)
11th - Hon US History - planned to do in 10th - not sure if she can handle with Macro/Micro - but these are 2 APs I think she can handle
12th - Hon World History

This is what I wanted for 10th grade but don't think she can handle it - it would be 4 core subject outsourced courses (Math/Sci/Hist/AP Macro):
Eng - Lightning Lit + WAH
Math - Alg II (Myhomeschoolmathclass)
Sci - Physics (Clover Creek)
Hist - US History (Funda Funda)
Lang - Span 2 (HomeschoolSpanishAcademy)
Elec - Intro to Photography (1/2 credit)
Elec - AP Macro (fall) / AP Micro (spring)

**and in case you're wondering why I'm jamming in AP Macro/Micro instead of leaving that off - it's because I'd like her to have a handful of APs under her belt by end of junior year, and these 2 I feel she can handle. APUSH on th other hand, she could not yet. 

Edited by mirabillis

3 hours ago, mirabillis said:

... She is college-bound, so it is important for us to have her take APs as we can...
...  I'd like her to have a handful of APs under her belt by end of junior year...

Just so you know -- AP tests are not a requirement for college acceptance, and don't guarantee acceptance into a college of choice. Even if shooting for top tier / selective / competitive colleges, there are other ways beyond AP tests to show rigor/high academics. And there are other ways to "dip a toe in the water" of college level work while still in high school than from AP testing. 😉

... This dd cannot handle quite the workload her older brother could... so what do I do? ... This is what I wanted for 10th grade but don't think she can handle it - it would be 4 core subject outsourced courses (Math/Sci/Hist/AP Macro)... 

Gently -- since she is not her brother, lol 😉 , and doesn't have his same workload ability or drive, I would ask her what SHE would like to do for classes next year. 

The two of you could be guided in planning for next year/rest of high school by talking about what general career area is she interested in at this time -- Fine Arts? STEM? Medical/Therapy related? Professional (business, law, teaching, etc.)? Ministry?  Trades related? -- and also talk about what type of college might be a good fit for her interests and abilities and your family budget -- 2-year AAS degree and start working? community college and transfer? "big fish in a little pond" (school with lower ACT/SAT scores so her potentially higher test scores would place her in the top 5% of incoming freshmen to land her scholarships)?

9th - AP Human Geography (could not take the AP exam due to illness, will try to brush up and take it this year)
10th- AP Macro / AP Micro - (I was planning on USH with Macro/Micro, but that pushes her to 7 credits. Can Macro/Micro count as her 'history'?)
11th - Hon US History - planned to do in 10th - not sure if she can handle with Macro/Micro - but these are 2 APs I think she can handle
12th - Hon World History

Social Science credits typically wanted by colleges for admission:
1.0 credit = American History (frequently required by most colleges)
1.0 credit = World History and/or World Geography  (sometimes required by some colleges)
0.5 credit each = Econ and Gov't  (occasionally required by some colleges)

Colleges also are very accepting of other Social Science credits in Philosophy, Anthropology, Archeology, Sociology, Psychology, Religious Studies, Political Science, etc. So once you knock out a credit of U.S. History, and possibly a credit of World History, you are largely free to explore more Social Sciences as your student desires -- or not. 😁

Eng - Lightning Lit + WAH
Math - Alg II (Myhomeschoolmathclass)
Sci - Physics (Clover Creek)
Lang - Span 2 (HomeschoolSpanishAcademy)
Elec - Intro to Photography (1/2 credit)
Elec - AP Macro (fall) / AP Micro (spring)

Agreeing with Roadrunner's post above -- no need for additional History this year, if doing the needed U.S. History in 11th grade, and World History in 12th grade. So if dropping out the U.S. History credit, you have a do-able set of credits for a student who is not up for a heavy workload.

Also, I personally would only go with AP Macro & Micro Econ if DD is INTERESTED in doing these. If not, then just a regular 1 semester of Econ would be fine, which would open up a slot for 0.5 credit Elective for DD to explore more interests/options.  😁

Totally just my opinion, so take or leave as works for your family. 😉 BEST of luck to you both as you plan and move into 10th grade! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

to roadrunner: you're absolutely right. i just always assumed we'd do 4 english / 4 math / 4 science / 4 history / 4 language to max out and help be competitive for colleges... but even UC A-G says thus. So I think we may need to wait on US History until 11th grade so as not to stress her out!:
Two years of college-preparatory history/social science required, including: one year of world history, cultures or historical geography, and one year of U.S. history; or one-half year of U.S. history and one-half year of civics or American government.

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 2

to lori: thanks for your thoughts. we're going the AP route personally as even our backups are UC schools and highly competitive. there aren't many i think she can handle in 10th grade, but she'll be able to pick up a couple more in 11th grade so that will be good (maybe some of these: ap eng lang/apush/ap psychology). she will love AP Macro/micro - she'll love US History too, but too many outsourced core classes is too many, i know. it's hard schooling diff kids though as ds#1 took 11 aps from 9th-11th. different strokes for different folks!

i feel better already... no us history this year. ahhh, can breathe a little easier already. 🙂

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 1