Menu

Do making ADDENDUM look bad?

Miguelsmom

So my son was going to get his AS and AA this May. So we filled out his application and planned classes as such. He wasn't able to apply to the degree that he wanted as a FTIC student so he applied as a similar program that has the same classes as the first semester in his intended program. Well after debating for months and asking my husband for his opinion (before applying) he saw that my son was taking chemistry this semester and does not want him to take it. We're at the point where we can no longer add classes just withdraw. If my son does not take chemistry this semester he will not get his AA. So now my son will not be taking Science in DE. Leaving him only requiring to take 1 class in the spring instead of 5+lab. So my son should do an ADDENDUM right? Since he is not taking those AA classes. Will that look bad? Should he include that he's going to switch major after receiving his AS degree?  I don't want him to get in then get it rescinded for something like untaken classes or major change. We've emailed his future major advisor and have not gotten a response yet. I want to drop the science soon so that someone else can have the spot.

• Sad 1

I’m not understanding everything you are explaining, but I think waiting for a reply from his future major adviser is the best bet. I wouldn’t worry about dropping until you get into a situation where you have to pay or a “W” will go on his transcript. While it’s nice to be considerate of others, your focus needs to be what’s best for your son in this situation.

I’m not understanding why his dad not wanting him to take chemistry means he can’t take it or why he still might not take other classes besides the one, unless you don’t want to pay for anything that won’t fulfill degree requirements.

• Like 2

We dropped him from Chem. So now we have find out whether we have to do an amendment in his application as he will no longer be taking the classes towards the AA program. He'll have an extra math and English but not his sciences or other classes needed for the AA.  Unfortunately this means he will be in school for longer but this is best.

• Like 1

So if I'm understanding correctly, he was getting both an AS and an AA, but now he's just getting the AS?  And he's still transferring to the 4-year in the fall?

I don't know what ADDENDUM is - is that a Florida thing?  I'm guessing the PP is right that you probably have to ask the advisor...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

So if I'm understanding correctly, he was getting both an AS and an AA, but now he's just getting the AS? 

Yes, but on his application we put that he was getting both and we put all the classes he was suppose to take this year and now that has changed.

45 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

he's still transferring to the 4-year in the fall?

He would start University in Fall 2020.

• Like 1

So, I would likely wait until the mid-year update to let the college know that Chem was dropped & what the second semester classes will be if they even ask for a mid year update.

He submitted his app super early, IMO. Most places just opened theirs up. I wouldn't want to almost immediately follow it with a modification. Unless it is a selective U (which your prior posts don't seem to indicate), it isn't going to matter what changes he makes to his senior schedule.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Miguelsmom said:

Yes, but on his application we put that he was getting both and we put all the classes he was suppose to take this year and now that has changed.

He would start University in Fall 2020.

Okay, I had thought from your previous post that he was transferring with some kind of state articulation agreement after an Associates of some kind, and since he'd already applied (and been accepted??), it would be this fall.  Usually for Transfer students, you apply in the spring and attend that same fall.  I've never heard of applying a whole year ahead of that.  Is that some kind of special Florida thing?    My dd's doing an AS and then a Transfer, and we didn't have to worry about her coursework like that, because she couldn't even apply to the 4-year till halfway through her last semester.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Okay, I had thought from your previous post that he was transferring with some kind of state articulation agreement after an Associates of some kind, and since he'd already applied (and been accepted??), it would be this fall.  Usually for Transfer students, you apply in the spring and attend that same fall.  I've never heard of applying a whole year ahead of that.  Is that some kind of special Florida thing?    My dd's doing an AS and then a Transfer, and we didn't have to worry about her coursework like that, because she couldn't even apply to the 4-year till halfway through her last semester.

It sounds like he's not applying as a transfer, but as a freshman. 

OP - My dd dropped a chemistry class spring of her senior year. She was put on academic probation for her first semester at the university. She was very insulted, but they did feel that it was a significant change to her senior year to drop a DE chemistry class that she listed as a senior class on her application.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Melissa B said:

It sounds like he's not applying as a transfer, but as a freshman. 

He is applying as a freshman because he's a FTIC student. When his AS degree transfers (which he's getting DE.) he's going to switch majors to a "capstone" degree as a junior. There was no spot to put that he is switching majors and we've been told not to worry about that just to get accepted and then they will deal with that. However now with the dropped courses I'm worried that if we don't do an addendum it'll look bad but WITH the addendum he looks wishy-washy at least it will make his application truthful though.

I am not sure why your DH did not want him to take Chem but IMO that may have been a big mistake.   IMO I think the best thing for your DS  to do would be  to contact the Admissions Dept. and ask them if they can add a Note in his file about this issue.     Your DS should be the one to contact the  Admissions Dept. You should not contact them.  ×

ETA: If he qualified as a "National Hispanic Scholar" when he took the PSAT/NMSQT he should be sure the university knows about that.

Edited by Lanny
add ETA

3 hours ago, Miguelsmom said:

He is applying as a freshman because he's a FTIC student. When his AS degree transfers (which he's getting DE.) he's going to switch majors to a "capstone" degree as a junior. There was no spot to put that he is switching majors and we've been told not to worry about that just to get accepted and then they will deal with that. However now with the dropped courses I'm worried that if we don't do an addendum it'll look bad but WITH the addendum he looks wishy-washy at least it will make his application truthful though.

What does the bolded mean? Never heard of that.

Edit: Answered my own question, but will post here for others who are also unfamiliar. Looks like a commonly referenced term in Florida and maybe a few other places. FTIC = first time in college = first-time, first year (freshman) student.

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lanny said:

ETA: If he qualified as a "National Hispanic Scholar" when he took the PSAT/NMSQT he should be sure the university knows about that.

He did not take the PSAT just the SAT.

15 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I am not sure why your DH did not want him to take Chem but IMO that may have been a big mistake.

DH had trouble with chem so he views it as a very hard class (It was intro to chem not general chem. so easier). DH wants my son only taking 12-13 credits at a time to keep his GPA up. This semester one of the courses require an internship which will take up more time then a regular class. Science is not my son's strong point but he likes chemistry. He wants my son to take classes that will make him more career ready in his field vs. knocking out General ED courses. However we agreed to knocking out general ed courses months before putting in his application. I can't help but feel DH wasn't listening or didn't really grasp it until seeing my sons finalized schedule which was after the add period. If I was told this was happening the day before I could have dropped science and added another GE class he needed.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Miguelsmom said:

take classes that will make him more career ready in his field vs. knocking out General ED courses. However we agreed to knocking out general ed courses months before putting in his application. I can't help but feel DH wasn't listening or didn't really grasp it until seeing my sons finalized schedule which was after the add period. If I was told this was happening the day before I could have dropped science and added another GE class he needed.  

I'm not really able to follow this conversation, so take with a grain of salt.

Out here, many of the GE classes are fairly easy.  If you strive to take them all at CC, then leave the more challenging STEM courses for your last 2 years of college, then your student will be stuck either taking lots of hard classes without an easy GE class to balance, or classes with prerequisites that will make it difficult to graduate in 2 years.  This is particularly an issue for students pursuing a STEM field.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Miguelsmom said:

I’m not clear what switching majors once at the university has to do with dropping chemistry, dropping the AA degree, and sending an addendum, but I think it’s always best to be truthful. I would still wait to hear from the advisor or contact someone in admissions at the university if you are not getting a timely response from the advisor to know if an addendum is needed.

Just out of curiosity, what’s a capstone degree? I’ve heard of capstone classes before, but never a degree. What is your son’s intended major at university?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Frances said:

dropping chemistry, dropping the AA degree,

Dropping chemistry means he drops the AA because there's not enough time to make up that class next semester. The switching of the major just makes it look more suspicious.

24 minutes ago, Frances said:

what’s a capstone degree?

"capstone" degrees "capstone" degree offering A.S. degree holders an efficient pathway to a Bachelor's degree.

25 minutes ago, Frances said:

What is your son’s intended major at university?

His intended major is only offered at this school so I'm cautious about saying what major it is. He wants to go into data system development. 

• Like 1

Full Disclosure is required.  How the DS of the OP does that is a question he should ask the Admissions Department. Addendum?  Some more informal way they can add this to his information in their system?

Sad, because from what I read, the DH had a bad time with Chem, but the DS is good with Science and this could have been avoided had the DS taken Chem as I understand it at the moment. Possibly I misunderstand.

IMO anything related to his Major, Math, etc. should be taken in the university. They will teach it the way they want it taught.

ETA: Is he positive they will allow him to change to the Major he wants? What if he cannot change to that Major?

Edited by Lanny
add ETA
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Is he positive they will allow him to change to the Major he wants?

They said they will but nothing is in writing. It's a transfer degree so it wasn't an option to select originally. They have no extra entrance requirements accept having an AS. 

47 minutes ago, Lanny said:

What if he cannot change to that Major?

I just asked him and he has no idea. He'll probably stay with his current major (if he likes the school) or transfer back to our local college for his BS. If he does not get in he will continue to try to get in while staying at our local college.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Miguelsmom said:

They said they will but nothing is in writing. It's a transfer degree so it wasn't an option to select originally. They have no extra entrance requirements accept having an AS. 

I just asked him and he has no idea. He'll probably stay with his current major (if he likes the school) or transfer back to our local college for his BS. If he does not get in he will continue to try to get in while staying at our local college.

If you are in Florida and your son doesn't get accepted as a freshman, he can choose to have his application resubmitted for Fall 2020 as an AS transfer student. I do know a couple of people that had to do it that way. I do not know how that changes any state scholarships.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Melissa B said:

If you are in Florida and your son doesn't get accepted as a freshman, he can choose to have his application resubmitted for Fall 2020 as an AS transfer student. I do know a couple of people that had to do it that way. I do not know how that changes any state scholarships.

I didn't know this. That helps a lot.

• Like 1

The student should update his application by whatever means the college has available. The advisor should be able to tell him that when he contacts the person. Sometimes a simple e mail to the advisor is sufficient for an update.

I have no clue how selective the university is. If this is a tough program as far as admissions and his intended major is in the sciences, I'd be concerned about dropping the chemistry if that means he won't have four years of sciences. Otherwise, I doubt that that change and only having an AA as opposed to both an AA and AS will be significant.