Menu

Painting kitchen cabinets

bethben

I used Advance (Ben Moore, I think). It's about $60 per gallon (a few years ago anyway) but well worth it. I sanded first, primed, and used small foam roller and brush. It has lasted fairly well.

We don't have handles on the doors, they have indentions routed into the bottoms. This area has chipped and needs touched up on the most used cabinets. If there were handles I don't think this would be an issue. 

The silverware drawer has chipped. 

We have a very small kitchen, so everything gets a lot of use. Considering that, I think it has held up quite well. It would have been better if I had sprayed it, but at the time I wasn't willing to do that or hire it out. Also, I did a great job sanding the doors, bc I took them off.  I could have done a better job on the frames. There are some spots where i didn't get the previous poly sanded down enough and the poly was uneven to start with. I wasn't willing to use the electric sander in there and accepted the tradeoff. Frames I sanded by hand and cleaned very, very well first bc some had a lot of grease buildup when we moved in.

First you clean the cabinets really well using a degreaser.  Typically TSP substitute.

Then you sand to remove any clear gloss finish.  Wash down the cabinets again or use a sticky cloth to get all traces of sanding dust gone.

Then you use a very good primer. Kilz is a good option. So is Zinnser Bullseye 123. You can have the primer tinted if you are painting a dark color so it will take less coats.

Then you use the paint.  Many companies have cabinet specific paint lines.  As far as I know oil is still longer lasting than a water base, but obviously there are fumes and it is much more difficult to clean up.

After 2-3 coats you can use a top coat or not.  What kind depends on what kind and color of paint you use because many top coats yellow over time, changing the color of the paint. It's probably best to ask at your paint store.

I think it's worth it to spend more on Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams paints for something like cabinets that will see a lot of use.

I almost hate to paint them.  They are only nine years old (we’re the second owners)  But they are dark brown and the floor is dark brown- almost the same color.  The whole house was so dark when we bought it.  The walls were a dark greige/olive color also.  I painted all that, but the kitchen is so dark to me also.  I also have my son in the wheelchair who tends to scuff one cabinet and I have no good way to cover that up.  All those furniture correction pens can’t really mask it.

D0E44829-2A38-430C-829F-988393DE6777.jpeg

054AB203-71A4-4671-8A77-B9DB7A83FE3B.jpeg

I didn’t use a particularly special paint, just one of the big brand names (but I don’t remember which.). I didn’t sand, either, which I only regret a little bit.  The original finish had been pretty well worn by then.  I degreased every square inch and did multiple coats of Kilz, then 2 coats of paint. Rolled, not sprayed.

I think it’s been... 3 years? Maybe 4. There are some spots around handles that need to be touched up once I finally finish this year’s kitchen updates. It’s a small kitchen with heavy use by the 8yo on up.

If you know one cabinet is currently getting scuffed, that is not something that will improve with painting. It'll just get scuffed and chipped (and possibly look worse because it's paint.)

(I painted my kitchen -- for the 2nd time -- this past year. I did the whole shebang: clean, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint. It's a pain and takes forever. I used Benjamin Moore Advance which is meant for cabinets but takes a while to cure.)

I have a table and a bookshelf that I want to finish first.  The table especially will be my practice since it has varnish and stain on it.  I think I figured out what I would need to use on the cabinets so I’ll just go with those paints and see what happens and how much of a pain it is.  I just have some time on my hands and a desire to make things pretty.

• Like 1