Menu

What is your favorite website to purchase curriculum?

CHSgirl

I'm so interested in where you seasoned homeschool parents purchase curriculum and which websites have the best return policy? I'd like to purchase a several different math curricula to compare and then return the ones that I don't want. I so wish there were a homeschool store near me! 

• Like 1

Christianbook.com has the best samples, it and Rainbow Resources have the best prices. But I've found that the return policys are often best directly with the publisher-they often have a try it for 30 days type of thing-usually if they are a homeschool mainly store. But it really depends on what exactly you're looking at. If it's a basic book, thriftbooks.com has the best prices IF they have it in stock, but they're a thrift store, so don't always have the book to sell you. 

• Like 2

There are usually plenty of samples online for math, so I don't bother ordering math until I know what we want.  Plus, there's the Math Curriculum Selector to help narrow it down.   And if I still can't decide, I'll ask in my local group to see what others have bought and if they'd be willing to let me look it over if it's on my list.

That said, we use Rainbow Resource for most curriculum.  I like that I can have a running wishlist.

• Like 2

I first look for things used on Amazon or Abebooks so that even if I decide not to use something, I'm only out a few dollars. I do try to find out enough ahead of time so that my uncertainty is mostly about depth level rather than anything else. It's not a good option for workbooks, of course.

I did benefit from being able to go to a homeschool store to make the math decision this year. I bought Oak Meadow English and history from the publisher, which has good enough previews.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

There are usually plenty of samples online for math, so I don't bother ordering math until I know what we want.  Plus, there's the Math Curriculum Selector to help narrow it down.   And if I still can't decide, I'll ask in my local group to see what others have bought and if they'd be willing to let me look it over if it's on my list.

That said, we use Rainbow Resource for most curriculum.  I like that I can have a running wishlist.

HomeAgain that math curriculum selector is amazing! I just took the test and my top score is the curriculum we’re using, so that’s encouraging 😉 

I’ve also been using Rainbow Resource and peeking around on Amazon. I do like to give Rainbow Resource the business because their curriculum advisors have been so incredibly helpful.

Another option is to buy used and then resell what you don't want.  I rarely buy new.  I use the public library to see things, but we also have a homeschool library in our area which is a huge blessing.

www.homeschoolclassifieds.com is a good place for buying used.  They have a great search engine.

• Like 3

Rainbow Resource, Thrift Books, Amazon, and from the publishers themselves--I feel like companies try to compete with Amazon now days, so I can often get a better deal ordering directly form the publishers!  I order teacher guides and cores from Memoria Press so I can get download PDFs of tests & quizzes, plus they will replace their materials if they are changed drastically. 

Christianbook is my go to website. I'll order from Rainbow, but I had an issue with them a few years ago and still haven't quite forgiven them for it. So, I prefer Christianbook.

I paid for rush shipping on an order with Rainbow because I needed it quickly. The item was backordered, but the website did not specify that. They did not ship the item for a month and refused to refund the rush shipping. I've never had an issue with Christianbook and I've ordered a lot of curriculum over the years!