Menu

Newport RI or Newburyport MA?

Teaching3bears

My hometown is Newport, RI, so I'm happy to answer questions about it! Newport isn't too hectic after labor day, but it can still be crowded. There is a ton to do if it's raining - visiting the mansions is a great thing to try to do. It's beautiful there and there is plenty to do and tons of great restaurants. It should be relatively affordable in the fall as well. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Teaching3bears said:

Anyone been to Newburyport?

Yes, it’s super cute. In the summer it can be crazy busy like all of the Boston area, but otherwise it’s very sweet, very picturesque. The village core is compact and walkable, and the harbour is lovely.

We stop there semi regularly for burritos and coffee when we have to go into Boston or beyond, but I’m not sure what sorts of indoor things there are to do because we are never there that long. 

If you go to Newburyport, you could also explore Portsmouth NH or Cape Ann (Gloucester, Ipswich, Salem, beaches). We’ve been in all those areas quite a lot in the fall and have never found them all that busy. 

Have fun! I love that entire region. 

• Like 1

I would vote for Newburyport.  We haven't been there directly, but we've been to the area.  The fall has apple picking farms and if you wanted to travel a bit, Salem doesn't get crazy-crazy until the beginning of October.
But I don't think you could go wrong with either place.  🙂

• Like 2