Menu

I finally got to visit UAH :)

teachermom2834

After all the talk here about UAH I finally got to visit. I think it is absolutely perfect for my rising 11th grader and at the moment he qualifies for the full tuition scholarship. 

So here is to hoping those merit scholarships don’t decrease too much over the next admissions cycle until it is his year. 😬

My ds did really like it it but my dc so far have not chosen where I would like them to go. So maybe I should pretend I want him to go somewhere else. Lol. 

I am sure I would never have heard of or considered UAH if not for this board. 

• Like 10

There is a very good chance that my DD, who is also a rising junior, will end up there. It is her favorite among the schools she’s visited so far (well, that seem like viable options, anyway). 

• Like 3

I hope it works out for you both with the merit!  The school my dc wanted to attend just changed from full tuition to $1000 for NMF, and now it's not on the table anymore.  ETA:  Not that we know if dc will be a NMF, or even that it's likely to happen, but it was the only way dc could have attended.

Edited by klmama
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, klmama said:

I hope it works out for you both with the merit!  The school my dc wanted to attend just changed from full tuition to $1000 for NMF, and now it's not on the table anymore.  

Oh man. That stinks! I know that is a possibility. We try so hard to research and find options but there is no guarantee the school won’t change it up. Hopefully some other great school decides to up their NMF award. 

Full tuition to $1000 is a drastic change. 

Edited by teachermom2834

27 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I think they did make a change either last year or this year already. 

And this year they recalculate the homeschool GPA. I guess before they did not, and just took whatever the transcript said for weighting? 

@Penelope Can you explain the GPA recalc? How did you know that happened? Or do you mean for 2020 freshmen?

Nevermind, I found it:

• For home schooled students not following the curriculum of a cover school, weighted credit will only be given to AP, IB, dual enrollment courses, or other college courses as long as they are reflective of a higher earned credit.
  • The Office of Admissions will begin recalculating the cumulative GPA for all home school transcripts effective July 1, 2019.

Their scholarship matrix changed a bit for the 2020-2021 class. They now have slightly different matrices for in state & OOS. A bigger change was for the incoming Freshmen so you have to have a 36/1600 to get 2 years of housing included with fill tuition. Before that, their change went from 4 yrs of housing (for an ACT of 34+, I think) to 2 yrs of housing.

They now only require one year of on campus living if you don't live close instead of 2 (as of this fall) so I won't be surprised if their scholarship matrix drops the housing scholarship down to 1 yr. It will depend on how many top scholars they lose with the changes that already got put into place.

Their housing is chock full for this fall with the huge freshman class they admitted. They are going to have over 10,000 students, overall, for the first time this fall. They put students on a housing waitlist if they lived within 30 minutes (miles??) of campus. It sounds like they, like many campuses across the nation, have had trouble providing housing for upper classmen who want to stay on campus. 

Make sure you are aware of the fees that their generous scholarship doesn't cover. Some parents were surprised to see them on their tuition bill. Depending on the classes taken each semester, they can really add up. Music, health/physical education, and education classes, for example, have high fees. Engineering classes have a fee of $45 per credit hour. Music is $125 per credit hour, and some upper level education classes are $400 per class. And there is the $12 per credit hour facilities fee on top of all those. So, free tuition does not mean completely free.

So far, however, as far as I know, their NMF package is the same as previous years (100% tuition, 4 yrs of housing, $1000 toward fees per year).

Edited by RootAnn
Added answer to my own question
  • Like 4

I was aware of the changes they made for this year and will be watching for next year’s changes. Definitely always need to read the fine print and be aware of fees and hidden expenses.

When we spoke with the admissions rep for our state I asked about anything extra they need from homeschoolers. (I had seen they had started requiring course descriptions). He said as long as we were with a cover school ,as most in our state are, that they didn’t need course descriptions or anything extra. He made it sound like they had gotten some transcripts from parents that were really hard to understand or incomplete and that is why they are making some changes. But as long as we had a cover school preparing and sending our transcripts they don’t need anything else. I thought that was interesting. It isn’t as if they doubt homeschooling, just want the transcript to come in a standard form. It sounds as if they take the cover school transcript at face value and don’t recalculate. Interesting. 

I think I figured out, using the current numbers, that unless DD gets NMF or a competitive scholarship, it comes to about 60k that we would need to pay in not covered costs, over 4 years. That puts it on par with the cheapest in-state options, since the school where she can live at home does not offer as much merit aid as some of the others do. 

We had a similar response on cover school transcripts. I suspect one reason why they don’t recalculate is that at the biggest cover school is super conservative about allowing honors designations, so usually the only classes labeled honors and weighted will be DE or through outside providers that provide said designation. I checked another one, and as far as I can tell, it’s similar (and they are much more prescribed as to what materials they accept for high school, down to an approved textbook/online class list). I’m guessing their experience is that cover schools tend to be, if anything, more conservative at weighting grades than the local school district would be! (I figured DD’s on the schools district scale just for fun. At the time, she had a 4.0 unweighted, a 4.52 on the cover school’s weighting scale, and a 5.12 on the school district’s). 

• Like 1

I agree about the cover school and weighting @dmmetler

We are with HLA and I haven’t bothered to get honors weighting for anything figuring ds would do enough de to make up for not weighting his earlier grades. But it is definitely much stricter than public school weighting. 

I haven’t ever really figured HLA did anything but keep us legal and make a transcript. I still don’t think they are doing anything I couldn’t do for myself but the last two visits (UAH and Tennessee Tech) both the admissions folks mentioned straight away they are glad we are with HLA because it makes everything easier for them. I don’t remember any such conversations when visiting with my two older boys. 

Even with all the fees UAH is pretty close to our cheapest in state options and for my ds, UAH is more appealing. So hopefully even with creeping fees it will remain in the ballpark of the in state options (which also have creeping fees). We’ll see how it all shakes out.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is the school referred to above or not, but FYI, Baylor University has eliminated its automatic National Merit aid. Now a student needs to apply, attend one of their scholarship events, and then hold his or her breath. That's a big nope here. I can see throwing the spaghetti at the wall for Rice, but it ain't gonna happen for Baylor.

On the bright side, our trip to Texas just got a skosh easier to schedule.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2019 at 5:57 AM, RootAnn said:

@Penelope Can you explain the GPA recalc? How did you know that happened? Or do you mean for 2020 freshmen?

Nevermind, I found it:

• For home schooled students not following the curriculum of a cover school, weighted credit will only be given to AP, IB, dual enrollment courses, or other college courses as long as they are reflective of a higher earned credit.
  • The Office of Admissions will begin recalculating the cumulative GPA for all home school transcripts effective July 1, 2019.

Their scholarship matrix changed a bit for the 2020-2021 class. They now have slightly different matrices for in state & OOS. A bigger change was for the incoming Freshmen so you have to have a 36/1600 to get 2 years of housing included with fill tuition. Before that, their change went from 4 yrs of housing (for an ACT of 34+, I think) to 2 yrs of housing.

They now only require one year of on campus living if you don't live close instead of 2 (as of this fall) so I won't be surprised if their scholarship matrix drops the housing scholarship down to 1 yr. It will depend on how many top scholars they lose with the changes that already got put into place.

Their housing is chock full for this fall with the huge freshman class they admitted. They are going to have over 10,000 students, overall, for the first time this fall. They put students on a housing waitlist if they lived within 30 minutes (miles??) of campus. It sounds like they, like many campuses across the nation, have had trouble providing housing for upper classmen who want to stay on campus. 

I do have concerns about the housing to the point I wonder if my son would have been better off at a more expensive school. If he has to get a car and off campus housing that may totally negate the difference in scholarship money between MS&T and UAH. Sigh. 

Side note: The school district our charter school is run through does not weight college classes. My AP Biology would be weighted but my son's Calc 2 class was not. Go figure.