Menu

I Hate The College Board

Does anyone by chance have a copy of last year's list of AP testing centers? My DD is taking AoPS Calc this year, and I would like to preserve for her the option of taking the AP BC exam. Which means she needs to be signed up by September. Which means I need to identify a test center. For which I called the College Board. Who informed me that that list will not be released until January. And, no, I cannot have last year's list. 😑 So, since I live rurally and am facing the joy of cold calling every school district in a 400 mile radius, I thought I'd give the Hive a try.

AIso, is 9 am too early for wine? Asking for a friend.

• Like 7
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

Let me get this straight. You followed the College Board's recommended process for homeschoolers & they refused to follow their own instructions?

AP Process

Your first step is to contact AP Services for Students at 888-225-5427 (toll free in the United States and Canada) or +1-212-632-1780 or apstudents@info. collegeboard.org. That office can give you contact information for local AP coordinators who may be willing to test outside students. We recommend you do this no later than September 4.

You are then responsible for contacting coordinators on that list to see if one of them can arrange testing for you. You should do this no later than October 4. Note that schools may have their own local deadlines for receiving requests from outside students to test at their school.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

I am feeling the same anxiety. Thinking how to get on my knees and crawl to local schools with my hand out begging for a spot. I hate it.

Oh, pish. Begging I can handle! Lemme know when and where, and I'll be there to help you, sister. I just need to know where to go beg!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

Wine will be a necessity. Hating the College Board is something that can start early and continue for your child's whole life!

And it unites a diverse group of people, forging us into a beautiful, cohesive whole! Yay, College Board!

• Haha 4

Just now, JoJosMom said:

And it unites a diverse group of people, forging us into a beautiful, cohesive whole! Yay, College Board!

Oh, I knew they had a purpose! They're like invading aliens in a scifi film... they'll unite society yet!

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Hey, thanks a lot. 🤨

It is a lot easier to find a testing center for CLEP because no begging required, just try your nearest colleges. My nearest state university (CSU) does CLEP testing. Unfortunately UC (California) does not accept CLEP for credits which is why we opt to do APs.

CLEP test center locator https://clep.collegeboard.org/test-center-search

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kokotg said:

On the upside, I've always found the list the college board gives you to be completely useless (out of date and/or incomplete) anyway 😡

They're consistent! Is there no end to the magnificence that is the College Board? Quick! Someone catch me; I fear that I shall swoon!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Try the AP Course Ledger searchable lists from previous years to get you started.

48 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Thank you! I'll give this a try.

I think this is going to help ENORMOUSLY. Thank you again!

(But keep the College Board ire going! I'm finding it incredibly therapeutic! 😄)

10 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I followed College Board on FB so I could get reminders about SAT registration deadlines. But I sure didn’t want to “like” them.

Today I am aggravated that College Board makes us deal with the local schools to access the PSAT. Grrr. 

We need to request a "stalking" button for them!

• Haha 1

Can old-timer CB haters join? 

When I was a high school junior they LOST my AP Modern European History score. A 5! I had my copy, mailed directly ftom them, but somehow that didn't count to be sent to colleges?! So no credit and no placement. 

• Sad 7

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Can old-timer CB haters join? 

When I was a high school junior they LOST my AP Modern European History score. A 5! I had my copy, mailed directly ftom them, but somehow that didn't count to be sent to colleges?! So no credit and no placement. 

Wow. How the heck did they think you got that? Did they at least refund you the money?

47 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Wow. How the heck did they think you got that? Did they at least refund you the money?

Well, I was at an elite boarding school on scholarship, so no money issues. But my mom (a private school headmistress at the time) and my school gave them heck! Apparently a batch of 12 exams, all graded by the same person, disappeared and the records were not there when I needed my score sent to colleges six months or so after the exam. I got my score in the mail.  (WAY before computers!) But they had had issues with students submitting fraudulent score sheets (remember the old typewriter print/font - so easily duplicated) years before so only scores sent directly from CB were valid for credit or placement at most universities. History is not a subject that typically has placement exams. My university would not give me credit, so I took Western Civ with a very engaging professor, didn't crack a book, and  made an A for both semesters of the 4 credit course. Not the worst thing ever to have an easy and interesting, course as a first year college student, but I was super angry at the time. 

APME was my hardest class in high school and my favorite. When I turned the page of the exam and read the essay question, I knew I had a 5. I had focused my research papers on the Reformation era and the essay was, "Was Martin Luther a revolutionary or a conservative? Defend your answer."

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Well, I was at an elite boarding school on scholarship, so no money issues. But my mom (a private school headmistress at the time) and my school gave them heck! Apparently a batch of 12 exams, all graded by the same person, disappeared and the records were not there when I needed my score sent to colleges six months or so after the exam. I got my score in the mail.  (WAY before computers!) But they had had issues with students submitting fraudulent score sheets (remember the old typewriter print/font - so easily duplicated) years before so only scores sent directly from CB were valid for credit or placement at most universities. History is not a subject that typically has placement exams. My university would not give me credit, so I took Western Civ with a very engaging professor, didn't crack a book, and  made an A for both semesters of the 4 credit course. Not the worst thing ever to have an easy and interesting, course as a first year college student, but I was super angry at the time. 

APME was my hardest class in high school and my favorite. When I turned the page of the exam and read the essay question, I knew I had a 5. I had focused my research papers on the Reformation era and the essay was, "Was Martin Luther a revolutionary or a conservative? Defend your answer."

I literally took up a collection for the cash for my AP European exam, so that was my first thought! I also knew I’d made a 5 the second I finished the exam. And I remember my essay topic - comparing Elizabeth I and Maria de Medici. It must just be a memorable exam!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

We need to request a "stalking" button for them!

Not to mention a "shaking fist" at them button... [Or perhaps other hand gesture buttons when feeling a particularly large amount of ire toward them ..]. 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Plum said:

I had oldest skip the SAT's altogether and went with just ACT because The College Board was such a pain. 😎

Hey! This is a gloating-free zone here, sister! 🤨

🤭

19 hours ago, daijobu said:

I have a list that was made available to parents at Stanford OHS.  It's organized by state, if you want to PM your location to me.  

Can the anti-CB club have a secret handshake?  

Yes, and yes! Thank you very much!

15 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

We’re gonna make you an Honorary Member. You get a free t shirt AND a free David Coleman voodoo doll. 

You make a most excellent co-chair, Tex! (Can I have the toys, too?)

13 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Not to mention a "shaking fist" at them button... [Or perhaps other hand gesture buttons when feeling a particularly large amount of ire toward them ..]. 😁

And, again, it's Lori D. for the win! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

I took AP Europe and that was hard!  

So, don't leave me hanging.  Which one was he?

Edited by daijobu
  • Haha 1

Maybe we can start a pinned thread with a list of homeschool-friendly AP exam sites, listed by location?  I don't think I have the authority to pin anything, so I'll just put it up there to start and we'll see if others can add to it and we'll edit the master list.  

• Like 1