Menu

If your child is in the list for commended National Merit....

Janeway

16 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

End of the road as far as National Merit.

From National Merit's website: "Although Commended Students do not continue in the competition for National Merit® Scholarships, some of these students do become candidates for Special Scholarships sponsored by corporations and businesses."

The school my son attends has him on the list for commended scholars, but has no list of semifinalists. His index score was 220 so I figured it was not a huge chance, but there was a chance. I guess the high school has no semifinalists then.

National merit semi-finalists have not yet been announced. The list released to schools in the spring will have included both commended students and semi-finalists (because, obviously, semi-finalists' scores qualify as commended, as well.) The list posted by Hoggirl is, in my opinion, the best indicator of what the cutoffs will be. So, to answer your question, yes, it is still possible that a student on the commended list released to schools will be designated a semi-finalist.

Edited for clarity: The list released in the spring was not "the commended list," but sort of a precursor allowing school administrators to ensure proper spelling of names, etc. I cannot find my principal's letter right now, or I'd quote it for you. 🙄 So, not surprisingly, Lori D. is absolutely correct that designated "Commended Scholars" are out of the competition. It's just that no one has been designated yet. 🙂 Because Lori D. is the nearest thing to perfect this side of Heaven! 💞

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

...So, not surprisingly, Lori D. is absolutely correct that designated "Commended Scholars" are out of the competition. It's just that no one has been designated yet. 🙂 Because Lori D. is the nearest thing to perfect this side of Heaven! 

💞

But she also makes her more-than-fair-share of mistakes, lol! [as she talks about herself in the third person... 😂 ]