Menu

Any experience with epiphysiodesis when your child has one leg longer than the other?

Kari C in SC

Okay, who knows anything about epiphysiodesis? Basically, my 14 year old onson’s scoliosis has gotten much better. I think he has a 10 degree curve or maybe if was 12... whatever it’s been getting better. But he’s an inch shorter on one leg and I think the curve goes towards that leg and the doc is concerned and wants to do this epiphysiodesis on him and remove the growth plate from his knee and I’m not gonna lie, that makes my knees weak. I get it’s not a big procedure and he should be fine. But is it necessary? I’m an inch shorter on one leg and never even knew until my chiropractor told me. Anyone been there and done this?

My daughter had a similar situation. She had a slight curve in her spine (but not enough to be treated) and one leg was shorter than the other. I think she was about 12 when they diagnosed it. They also recommended removing growth plates, etc., but only if it got really bad. I, too, was horrified at the concept of such an invasive surgery. I also worried that the recovery process would be months and months!

She is now 22 and fine. It did hinder her a bit when she was younger because she could not run as smoothly as other kids. She played softball extremely well but usually was replaced by a base runner. It made her running more like "ground pounding" than running. But if it wasn't for the high level of play through high school i'm not sure we would've noticed it holding her back in any way. 

• Thanks 1

First, IMO if you ask a chiropractor, they will tell pretty much every person one leg is longer/shorter than the other so please take that with a grain of salt.  

You are describing a medical issue I'm guessing diagnosed by X-ray from a MD for your child.  Completely different.  My daughter has congenital  LLD (leg length difference) of her femur and fibula.    Among other things she had the growth plates 'removed' when she was younger but it was in conjunction with a much bigger surgery.  

• Thanks 1