Menu

Anyone use My Homeschool Math Class?

3 hours ago, kand said:

We had great experiences with it for Algebra 1 and Geometry. The Algebra 2 class was not sufficient to prepare my dd well for precalculus (she got an A in Algebra 2 and found it quite easy), and she followed it with another Algebra 2 class when she saw how much more was covered in the other class. I have no regrets about it for Algebra 1 and Geometry, though. And if I had a kid that only needed math through Algebra 2, this would work for us. 

We only took the algebra 2 class and found this to be true. My daughter was not ready for precalc. 

• Like 1

I have my second child enrolled in the geometry class this year.  DS needs to focus on writing this year, so we are taking a break from WHA.  The Holt book (with the honors option) is sufficient for our needs in geometry.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, melmichigan said:

I have my second child enrolled in the geometry class this year.  DS needs to focus on writing this year, so we are taking a break from WHA.  The Holt book (with the honors option) is sufficient for our needs in geometry.

We are following a similar path with my Dd, taking Geometry locally instead of at WHA. 

• Like 2

My DS did Pre-A and is enrolled in Algebra. It has worked well for him, so we’re hoping for another good math year. Likes: live, online; clear expectations on homework; access to teacher if extra help is needed. Dislikes: none so far!

My son used it for Alg 2 and Pre-Calc. He loved myhsmc and thanks me for signing him up for it! He learned solid study skills in addition to the actual math.

He is a rising college sophomore and I would say that he was well-prepared ...but you may interpret this differently.

After he was accepted to his college, in the spring of 12th grade, he took a math placement test. He missed placement into Calc 1 by one point. He was annoyed because he knew that if he had taken the same test about 6 weeks later he would have done better, but it was too late. He took Pre-Calc over the summer and aced it with an A+. And we were both pleased after he took the class, as he got used to the college atmosphere and made a few friends.

He took Calc 1 fall semester, Calc 2 spring semester, and just finished Calc 3 this summer. He got an A in all three classes. He found Calculus fascinating, and a little challenging in the best kind of way. He's torn between majoring in Engineering and double majoring in Physics and Music

• Like 2

I would say not for the child going into stem majors.  My son took one year I believe it was Algebra and it was just not where we needed it to be.  He enjoyed the class but it just didn't cover what it needed.  I think the year he took it there were some kids really behind and so they had to keep reviewing which just didn't work for us.