Menu

Not how I wanted to spend my Saturday...

sweet2ndchance

I got up yesterday and first thing on my to do list was to figure out what all I would need to change the spark plugs and wires on our main traveling vehicle. I've changed them before on other cars and this one has the plugs accessible from the top so I was pretty confident it was a job I could handle with just a little help from dh if the plugs got stubborn.

So getting everyone up and ready for the day, start gathering wayward dishes that didn't make it to the sink. I notice that ds 6yo, didn't put the plate he made s'mores on the night before in the sink when he was done and he had made more mess making himself breakfast. So I tell him he needs to clean up the table before he goes outside. But he is my stubborn little negotiator and starts giving me 50 reasons why he thinks it is more important to go outside. I pick up the s'mores plate and pull a knife out to start trying to loosen the petrified marshmallow (he nuked it in the microwave to try and get the marshmallow more melty sigh). We live in the country on septic with no garbage disposal so I was trying to avoid just soaking it and then have to strain the chunks out to keep them from clogging the drain. Pulling the knife out to loosen the s'more shall henceforth be known as mistake #1

While I'm digging at the marshmallow with a knife, ds is still going on about how he shouldn't have to clean on such a warm sunny day and I finally get tired of it and turn my head to tell him he can clean the mess he made or stand in the corner for 5 minutes and then clean the mess he made. Turning my head to look at him while I told him that shall henceforth be known as mistake #2.

I felt the knife slip and immediately tried to drop the plate and the knife but it was too late. It didn't hurt at all (it was a very sharp knife, one of my newer ones) but I knew it was bad. I faint at the sight of gushing blood and I've been first aid certified several times in my life so my first instinct is to grab my hand and put pressure on it. Then I yell to dh that I cut myself again (yes this happens a lot and for some reason I'm still allow to play with.. I mean, use sharp objects). I let the pressure off for a second for dh to look and all he says is "Yup, we're spending the day in the ER."

Now, remember, we live in the country and it's a twenty minute drive to the nearest small town with a tiny hospital that everyone local refers to as the "Band-Aid station". Anything more than simple stitches and you are going out by ambulance or life flight to the university hospital 3 hours away doing the speed limit on the highways. I talk dh into taking me to urgent care on the edge of town since it is closer and on our way into town. They should be able to do stitches, they have before for me anyways. I'm holding so much pressure on it that my fingers I'm using to hold pressure are going numb.

We get to urgent care, the nurse takes one look at my hand and says, "Yeah, you need to go to the ER. We cannot treat that here." Okey dokey then, we keep going into town to the ER. I still haven't looked at the wound myself but there is blood on my hand, blood on my shirt, blood on my pants... you get the picture. We get to the ER and come to find out, I didn't just stab my palm, I went through my hand!

They took x-rays and said they think they are going to have to life flight me if I sliced any tendons or chipped the bone. It dumbfounded everyone that I somehow missed everything and still had complete movement of all my fingers. So all it needed was deep stitches.

Now, the most interesting part to me was the doctor who did the stitches. He is an amputee. His left hand, his wrist and part of his forearm were missing. And yet he put one stitch in the back of my hand and 4 stitches in the palm of my hand faster than the doctor that put 3 stitches in my finger about 5 years ago when I was playing with scissors! I couldn't watch him do it, because blood, but he did it, by himself with only a nurse to cut the tails which most doctors I've seen do even when they have use of both hands. It was the most amazing thing dh has ever described to me when I couldn't look myself lol!

So, I guess the spark plugs and wires are going to have to wait for another day but I have figured out how to fix the dressing so I can type and play games on the computer lol.

Just wanted to share about the amazing doctor in the ER and figure it required a little back story as to why we were in the ER in the first place lol

Edited by sweet2ndchance
Can I blame the stitches for bad English contained in this post?? lol
  • Like 6
  • Sad 4

That is seriously impressive. I have a relative who works in the emergency department AND a relative that makes prosthetics that will both find that doctor's ability fascinating!

I hope you heal really well, and I'm glad you didn't damage anything that required surgery.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PrincessMommy said:

what an interesting story, except it had involve your injuring yourself and going to the ER.  What a bother.  Hope the pain isn't too bad.  

Just the normal twinging from stitches. And hurt feelings/ego that dh is making me take it easy for the rest of the weekend lol. ;-)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Ouch! I can't look at my own blood either so I totally understand. I'm also one of those known to hurt themselves. It's not a great club to be in. LOL I hope it heals fully and quickly! How is your ds doing? Does he feel guilty since it was his plate?

5 hours ago, school17777 said:

So did your ds clean up his dishes yet?

Hope your hand heals quickly.

No, he doesn't feel guilty but he thinks my stitches are "cool". Lol He was to young to remember the last time anyone in the house had stitches. And despite the fact we told her not to worry about it, grandma (lives next door to us) and ds came up and "washed" all the dishes while we were at the er. I saw "washed" because I don't know if her eye sight is just getting really bad or I'm just crazy particular about the dishes but I'm in the process of rewashing them all one handed lol. So far every one she "washed" either still feels greasy or still had bits of food on it. I just keep tell myself she just wanted to help, she just wanted to help, she just wanted to help, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

That reminds me of the time we hired a driver to take us to the airport. The driver had just one arm, which was a little surprising, but when his cell phone rang and he answered it while driving down the freeway?!!!! I was sitting behind him and have no idea how he did that! (This was before using a phone while driving became illegal.)

I hope your hand heals quickly!!

• Like 3