Menu

Is it valid? ... Homeschool Spanish Academy https://www.spanish.academy/

Agreeing you might want to to ask WTM company.  But when I clicked, the words do say "well trained mind community".  I don't know what WTM or HSA intended, but all it means to me is that someone on the internet liked their service and talked about it on this forum.  I see one of the other logos on that click point shows MFW.  At one point, I heard that MFW was getting referral proceeds with HSA with an affiliated link.  If I sound  snarky with that reply, I don't intend to. 

I don't know what the logo means, but we've used them for the past year for a fairly advanced Spanish student (had completed her college Spanish requirement as DE) who wanted more conversational practice, and we've been very happy with them. 

• Like 1

I can't speak to an official stamp of approval, but yes, they're trustworthy. We've just signed up for a second year with them (beginner/middle-school level). It's not perfect IMO in the order in which things are taught and the design of the written materials, but the teaching has been very good, and I consider it worth what I'm paying.

I like the way they do scheduling. You buy a block of lessons and then can either schedule them all at once or just a few at a time, selecting both your teacher and the time slot(s) you prefer. They have bilingual customer service representatives available via a toll-free number, too.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1

My oldest DD used HSA as additional practice & reinforcement during summers and when a particular online class was a disaster. She had one teacher that was her favorite (and he was my favorite because he knew how to see if she knew the material already or if she needed more practice with it before moving on) but had others who were fun and interesting

My advice is to try some different teachers at the beginning and settle on one. Then, schedule as far as as you can to get the best availability for that teacher. Consistency, for my dd, meant goingbthrpigh the lessons at a good pace for her & cementing the material.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RootAnn said:

My oldest DD used HSA as additional practice & reinforcement during summers and when a particular online class was a disaster. She had one teacher that was her favorite (and he was my favorite because he knew how to see if she knew the material already or if she needed more practice with it before moving on) but had others who were fun and interesting

My advice is to try some different teachers at the beginning and settle on one. Then, schedule as far as as you can to get the best availability for that teacher. Consistency, for my dd, meant goingbthrpigh the lessons at a good pace for her & cementing the material.

We only tried one teacher and she didn't click with my son. After more experience with online language tutors, I realize that fit is important. I bet it would have worked well had we tried three and stuck with whoever clicked with him.

• Like 1

We tried it and the teachers struggled with how to effectively handle two students. I also couldn't get enough homework assigned to fill in the rest of the week. I ended up sticking with a provider who completely offloaded Spanish for me. Clearly YMMV

It's legit. I recommend doing the trial lesson and then deciding. It wasn't a fit for us. DS got dropped twice during the trial and he couldn't stand being able to hear other conversations in the background. It's call center style on their end, unless things have changed.

• Like 2

Fit matters-absolutely.

Homework was light-absolutely. I thought the price was high, but for one-on-one instruction with a clear scope & sequence, it was & is cheap. [The regular] Pace was slow for my kid but we used it for review & reinforcement, not original instruction. [So part of the reason I liked the one teacher was that he knew to go quickly except when she struggled with a concept. He also knew I wanted him to assign more homework than normal.]

For Spanish 1-3, she loved Sr. Gamache at La Class Divertida / The Fun Clase. His Spanish 1 class was pretty big (15-20 kids) and heavy on homework. I have reviewed it elsewhere on these boards. Like many providers & curriculum, one size does not match all. (And Sr. Gamache has some negatives!)

For Spanish 4, she had a poor teacher in a class that was not a fit for her. In her words, she regressed in ability. That's when we added HSA more regularly.

She'd also done some conversation practice using italki. There, too, fit matters. Her Italki tutors did not use a set scope & sequence but focused on building her comfort with everyday conversational vocabulary. It was not unusual to hear her laughing during those sessions. She used Italki for Spanish & German conversation practice and once we found a good fit, we tended to stay with them for continuity. But, again, we didn't use it for main teaching.

Edited by RootAnn
Add clarification.
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, extendedforecast said:

Quick question. Are they accredited? My daughter is most likely staying home this year, and when she goes back, I’d like for most of her homeschool classes to transfer to public school. 

If you are enrolled with North Atlantic Regional High School (NARHS), then NARHS will count it on that transcript.  NARHS is a school that is supposed to be regionally accredited, so it would transfer if you are a NARHS student.  But if you are not a NARHS student, then it is uhmm. ..  how do I be polite about this?  I really do not like the way HSA words it on their website. I think it's a little misleading that it is "accredited everywhere throughout the US".   You will have to ask the public school if they will accept the transfer or not.  Maybe there are others on this forum who want to take that part of HSA's FAQ and explain it.  here https://hsa.ladesk.com/049037-Are-you-accredited