Menu

I was prayerful when I stabbed you in the back, so it's ok

Janeway

Seriously heard this today. Long version..enrolled my child in two classes through a local place that does outsourced classes. I had trouble getting my payment to go through. I went looking and found the phone number for the person in charge. I called her (9:20am about) and spoke to her on the phone and she explained the credit card payment system was down and she would email someone to get it fixed. I asked her if in the meantime, could she hold the spot for my son. She said no, she cannot, she cannot hold the spot for anyone. The first person to pay is given the spot. Then she suggested I used e-check to pay. I did not want to, but she said if I did not and someone else did, then the spot would go to the other person. So I did it while on the phone with her and she verified that the payment went though and my son was in the classes. Fine. Then, at 1:50pm, she sends me an email stating that she got an email from a staff member at the outsourced place who has changed her mind about the classes she put her child in and wants my child's class, so therefore, she is removing my child from that class and I am welcome to pick a different class. She offered me a class for 5-8 graders. My child is in 4th grade and has ASD.  I told her I would talk to my husband. I posted about it here. And, I felt I should sleep on it as I think decisions need sleep. In the morning, discussed with my husband again and then sent her an email telling her no thank you, we do not want our child in a class for the older kids and would like a full refund. The woman waits until this afternoon and then sends me an email saying she was stuck in a hard spot and I just need to understand how hard it was on this new teacher when who only wants the best for her child and that she realized later that she wanted another class for her child and so she (the woman in charge) decided to be prayerful and then realize she needed to replace my child with this other child. She goes on to explain since she prayed about it, she knows this is okay. And then throws in and the end "I will pray that you find something else for your child." Ummm......well..I find her email to be super offensive. I feel she is using Christ as an excuse for her bad behavior. Then, she sends me a receipt for the refund stating she has to send me a check for the refund, but it is only for a partial refund and she is keeping my $175 registration fee. She claims this is okay because I could have enrolled my 4th grader in to a class for older kids. She mentioned she prayed about this three times in her short email and ends with "blessings" and her name. This just disgusts me. I feel like she is slandering the Lord. I feel like she she using Christ as an excuse for her bad behavior and for stealing $175 from me. I hear so much from some people that they have left being a Christian over seeing this behavior over and over again. 

Also, my husband is pointing out to me that we have never heard that sort of excuse, blaming Christ for bad behavior, claiming to have prayed about it, therefore, it is okay, before we lived in this part of the country. An old family friend called, she is in her 70's and very faithful and religious and very involved in her church, and I asked her what she thought. I read the email to her and she said she has never heard such a thing. She thinks it is terrible. I am disgusted. I already called the bank and told them what happened. I saw they did not actually put in the e-check until today even though they told me yesterday that my son was not in the class. The bank is going to try to stop payment. If that does not work, I will have to take legal action. 

I am seriously miffed. I am wondering if this is a thing in the part of the country I live in now. It really bothers me.

edited to clarify the time

Edited by Janeway
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 7

I would take legal action.  Or at least send a letter to the company stating that you plan to do so (and then do so if they say fine go ahead).  That is nonsense.  I would also leave all manner of review everywhere; I might not go into all the details about being prayerful about it, just say you paid with the express understanding your son was enrolled in a particular class, you were disenrolled from that class when a teacher wanted the space for her child instead, and you weren't issued a full refund.  

The prayerful thing - I dunno.  I think selfish people use whatever excuse is part of their worldview; if they're selfish Christians they use God's Will to justify bad behavior; if they're selfish liberal atheists they use intersectionality or white privilege or some similar argument to justify bad behavior; if they're selfish nationalists they use the good of the state to justify bad behavior; if they're selfish capitalists they use free markets to justify bad behavior.  I've seen it all.

• Like 20

So God told you to steal my son's spot in the class for your personal gain, and then he told you to steal my money for your personal gain.

rrrriiiiigggghhhhttttt.

I am disgusted by quite a few things "Christians" do these days, and I am a Christian.  

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, moonflower said:

I would take legal action.  Or at least send a letter to the company stating that you plan to do so (and then do so if they say fine go ahead).  That is nonsense.  I would also leave all manner of review everywhere; I might not go into all the details about being prayerful about it, just say you paid with the express understanding your son was enrolled in a particular class, you were disenrolled from that class when a teacher wanted the space for her child instead, and you weren't issued a full refund.  

The prayerful thing - I dunno.  I think selfish people use whatever excuse is part of their worldview; if they're selfish Christians they use God's Will to justify bad behavior; if they're selfish liberal atheists they use intersectionality or white privilege or some similar argument to justify bad behavior; if they're selfish nationalists they use the good of the state to justify bad behavior; if they're selfish capitalists they use free markets to justify bad behavior.  I've seen it all.

I agree..what you say about selfish people using whatever excuse. I will say though, this email and these reactions left my faith shaken and I have struggled with my feelings regarding church and my own faith over this. And if I could feel this shaken, I know this unsettles so many others.

My current plan is to take legal action. I am thinking, hoping, that because I have the emails and I used my cell phone when I called yesterday about the registration stuff, that it would not be hard to prove what happened in court. 

• Like 5

Sadly, I have heard that before.  Used by what I call the creepy used car salesman Christians.  Somehow they can twist parts of the Bible to make sense always in their favor to them and hurt others.   

Send a certified letter letting them know they either refund the money based on deceit ( send copies of the emails) or you will have no choice but to take legal action against them.  

Print out your emails now and put in a folder Incase they accidentally get deleted. 

• Like 5

You are going to take legal action for what?  What is your goal?  Do you want your son in that class?  With that teacher?  Who is going to be miffed (to say the least) that you've brought legal action?

I get your frustration but that does not sound like a good plan to me.

16 minutes ago, EKS said:

You are going to take legal action for what?  What is your goal?  Do you want your son in that class?  With that teacher?  Who is going to be miffed (to say the least) that you've brought legal action?

To get the registration fee back that they are refusing to return.

Edited by school17777
  • Like 10

4 minutes ago, EKS said:

My goal is to get my money back. That is my money. Would you just walk away if it were your money?

• Like 6

I’d call her on it and say, “you did NOT hear from God to steal my money.  God never goes against His Word.” And cite the 8th commandment.  “Give me my money back immediately.  Here is my paypal account.”  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 17

1 minute ago, EKS said:

Sorry!  I obviously didn't read carefully enough!  I get it now.

She told me she could not hold the spot for anyone, first person to pay would have the spot. I paid before 9:30am. She told me to use e-check to ensure my son would get the spot since their credit card system was not working. More than four hours later, she gave away his spot to a staff member who changed her mind about her child's schedule and wanted that spot for her child. Then refused to refund the registration fee which was $175.

Well I'm thankful you aren't going to be involved in that coop.  IME toxic narcissists who use Jesus as their cover identity are pretty pervasively toxic in everything they touch.

Yes, stop payment.  If you can't in time, first write a letter of warning and then take legal action if you don't get back the money.  Small claims court is annoying but worth it, and you can charge the coop for the fees and that idiot will not be able to repeat the same thing with anyone else.

• Like 6

*headdesk*

Thinking about something REALLY HARD doesn't make it okay, even if you call it "prayer". I would definitely report this to the Better Business Bureau, and yes, send them a letter stating that if you do not get the FULL refund by the end of the week you will be taking this to small claims court.

(And as far as I am concerned, it's worth the stress and aggravation.)

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Janeway said:

decided to be prayerful and then realize she needed to replace my child with this other child. She goes on to explain since she prayed about it, she knows this is okay. A

I feel she is using Christ as an excuse for her bad behavior.  - ya think?

Then, she sends me a receipt for the refund stating she has to send me a check for the refund, but it is only for a partial refund and she is keeping my $175 registration fee. She claims this is okay because I could have enrolled my 4th grader in to a class for older kids. She mentioned she prayed about this three times in her short email and ends with "blessings" and her name.

The bank is going to try to stop payment. If that does not work, I will have to take legal action. 

-if the bank isn't able to stop payment, I'd be tempted to respond with "since you kept my registration fee for a class you were not able to provide my son - I will see you in court/you can talk to my lawyer.  I've prayed about this three times and feel it is the right thing to do.  blessings.

i'm sure the sarcasm will go over her head.

My grandmother was from the Midwest, and used religion as a weapon frequently.    (her favorite was - you'd better treat me right (re: don't object to me treating you like garbage), or God will smite you.  (don't think God takes instructions from you grandmama...….).  If part of me hadn't rejected her, I'm sure it would have put me off Christianity too.  I certainly understand why my mother wanted nothing to do with it.

• Like 2

I also would suggest reporting this to the BBB.  and consider your local tv station "people helper".   not sure what part of the country you're in, some places would love to go after them. (who knows how many others they've ripped off.) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

Dear Director,

I prayed about this situation, and God told me to put a stop payment of the check.  I called the bank and it's taken care of.  

Blessings!

Unfortunately, an e-check generally goes through immediately. 

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I know you are angry- and I think rightfully so- but I'd think long and hard before going down litigation road. You're going to have to go to small claims court and is it going to be worth your additional time and stress for $175? I know it's a principle thing, but you've already invested so much time. I would just question if it's worth it. She's the one who has to answer for it in the end. So if you could let it go, I would. Is $175 worth the additional strain and stress to do so if the bank stop alone doesn't work? 

I doubt she will actually wind up in small claims court; threatening it and alerting other employees will probably do the trick. But I'd have to say that yes, I would be a person who would likely pursue it to the ends of the earth, lol, so I can relate to the OP. This doofus put everything in writing, so she would have to be a true idiot to hold out on the refund once OP makes it clear she will pursue it. I would inform her that keeping the fee was not acceptable and that I would pursue other options as needed. If she didn't back down, I'd consider vague posting on the biggest local homeschooling forum around for 'more information' on whether this was considered acceptable, because that is likely to resolve it as well. But yeah, I think it would be worth the while to go to small claims court and I think she would certainly win. Because again, doofus wrote all of this down and gave it to the OP with a ribbon wrapped around it. If it progresses to the point of getting served to appear in small claims court, they have to know that they're not only not going to win, they will be embarrassed and have to pay the court fee on top of the refund. 

If this staff person is not the actual owner, I think that alerting the owner is all it will take. If she is the owner, then I'd follow the above steps. I can't stand for people to get away with stuff like that. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Katy said:

IME toxic narcissists who use Jesus as their cover identity are pretty pervasively toxic in everything they touch.

Preach. (pun intended). This has been my experience every single time. "I can do no wrong because I have Jesus in my heart".  Hmm. 

Just a small warning, even if you do win in small claims court, they do not collect for you. You are left to do that yourself and it has been my experience that people who are unwilling to do the right thing in the first place are no more likely to pay after a court case.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

Just a small warning, even if you do win in small claims court, they do not collect for you. You are left to do that yourself and it has been my experience that people who are unwilling to do the right thing in the first place are no more likely to pay after a court case.

Seriously!? What the heck is even the point of a civil court system then!?

Does this coop have a board? Many of them do, and you can go over the director’s head and appeal to the coop’s board to refund your registration fee. 

If not, is there an assistant director? Her reasoning is absurd and unprofessional  if there is someone else you can talk to, it would be easier than small claims court  

This has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with poor business practices and manipulation. 

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I know you are angry- and I think rightfully so- but I'd think long and hard before going down litigation road. You're going to have to go to small claims court and is it going to be worth your additional time and stress for $175? I know it's a principle thing, but you've already invested so much time. I would just question if it's worth it. She's the one who has to answer for it in the end. So if you could let it go, I would. Is $175 worth the additional strain and stress to do so if the bank stop alone doesn't work? 

I do think it would be worth it here and here's why: when I'm looking up something to enroll my kid in, I do a search online.  In my county civil suits are public - they come up when I google a company name.  $175 is small potatoes in the grand scheme, but if it did come to a civil suit that would tar that group for a long, long time. 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Janeway said:

Seriously heard this today. Long version..enrolled my child in two classes through a local place that does outsourced classes. I had trouble getting my payment to go through. I went looking and found the phone number for the person in charge. I called her (9:20am about) and spoke to her on the phone and she explained the credit card payment system was down and she would email someone to get it fixed. I asked her if in the meantime, could she hold the spot for my son. She said no, she cannot, she cannot hold the spot for anyone. The first person to pay is given the spot. Then she suggested I used e-check to pay. I did not want to, but she said if I did not and someone else did, then the spot would go to the other person. So I did it while on the phone with her and she verified that the payment went though and my son was in the classes. Fine. Then, at 1:50pm, she sends me an email stating that she got an email from a staff member at the outsourced place who has changed her mind about the classes she put her child in and wants my child's class, so therefore, she is removing my child from that class and I am welcome to pick a different class. She offered me a class for 5-8 graders. My child is in 4th grade and has ASD.  I told her I would talk to my husband. I posted about it here. And, I felt I should sleep on it as I think decisions need sleep. In the morning, discussed with my husband again and then sent her an email telling her no thank you, we do not want our child in a class for the older kids and would like a full refund. The woman waits until this afternoon and then sends me an email saying she was stuck in a hard spot and I just need to understand how hard it was on this new teacher when who only wants the best for her child and that she realized later that she wanted another class for her child and so she (the woman in charge) decided to be prayerful and then realize she needed to replace my child with this other child. She goes on to explain since she prayed about it, she knows this is okay. And then throws in and the end "I will pray that you find something else for your child." Ummm......well..I find her email to be super offensive. I feel she is using Christ as an excuse for her bad behavior. Then, she sends me a receipt for the refund stating she has to send me a check for the refund, but it is only for a partial refund and she is keeping my $175 registration fee. She claims this is okay because I could have enrolled my 4th grader in to a class for older kids. She mentioned she prayed about this three times in her short email and ends with "blessings" and her name. This just disgusts me. I feel like she is slandering the Lord. I feel like she she using Christ as an excuse for her bad behavior and for stealing $175 from me. I hear so much from some people that they have left being a Christian over seeing this behavior over and over again. 

Also, my husband is pointing out to me that we have never heard that sort of excuse, blaming Christ for bad behavior, claiming to have prayed about it, therefore, it is okay, before we lived in this part of the country. An old family friend called, she is in her 70's and very faithful and religious and very involved in her church, and I asked her what she thought. I read the email to her and she said she has never heard such a thing. She thinks it is terrible. I am disgusted. I already called the bank and told them what happened. I saw they did not actually put in the e-check until today even though they told me yesterday that my son was not in the class. The bank is going to try to stop payment. If that does not work, I will have to take legal action. 

I am seriously miffed. I am wondering if this is a thing in the part of the country I live in now. It really bothers me.

edited to clarify the time

To be frank, I think I might legit ask that question, "So, because you prayed and feel good about it, it's okay to blatantly disregard your word?  I think Christ has this thing about lying..."

But I tend towards aggressive-aggressive rather than passive-aggressive....

• Like 8

6 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

The amount of help you get collecting varies by area. People with a business and reputation to protect are going to be more willing to pay a judgement, and every system has some procedures to follow that will make it more likely to collect (either in a practical sense or because it has an embarrassing or otherwise unpleasant effect).

The hope is that the other side gives in before actually going to court. Why would they? Because they have the money to pay but are simply hoping the other person doesn't pursue it. Because small claims court is open to the public and judgements are a matter of public record. It's simply bad for reputable businesses to clearly and publicly attempt to get one over on a  customer. 

Why would they pay if they go to court and lose? Failing to pay can result in interest piling up, turning a small judgement into a much larger one. Filing  your judgement will often place a lien on their property. Judgements no longer show up on your credit report, but will easily be uncovered if you ever try to buy or sell property, get a loan, an so on. And there are ways of forcing payment if money is available. Wages can be garnished. The sheriff can show up and seize a piece of property. These are not things a reasonable person wants to happen, much less a business. 

9 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Seems like increasing the class size by one student would have been an easy fix. Not giving your registration fee back is robbery.

I do wonder why they just didn't go with this.  At that age, one extra student is unlikely to be a real hardship. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

$175 isn't chump change for most people though especially when you've gotten literally nothing in exchange for it.

• Like 3

I would pull out all the diplomacy you have before contacting a lawyer. I would contact her again by phone and explain that not refunding your fee is unacceptable, explain the mere hours it was before she booted your kid from the APPROPRIATE age level class, and in a real "bless your heart" way explain that she will rue the day she stole your money. If she did not respond to my "diplomacy," I would pull out the christian male-head of household thing and have your dh call her and let her explain it to him. I would also spread it all over social media, in a logical and reserved manner,  just to be *itchy if she didn't respond to either of your requests. Then, I would contact a lawyer. You can't use Jesus to justify stealing money, I think he would be totally against that. *sigh*

• Like 6

And Since a major reason your son cannot go into the 5-8 grade group is ASD, you could contact the state office for your state that handles ADA violations and ask for help.  You may need to send a demand for compliance certified letter first, to effect that either your Ds be put into the class you signed him up for and paid for, or give back your registration fee. 

Sadly in my area this sort of thing is very common.  Your title resonated. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 6

I'm so sorry this happened.  I agree with the prior poster--if this co-op has a board, which it should, I would go to them and explain what happened and that you want the refund. Then, if they are not responsive, you could suggest legal action.  My guess is this person is handling this inappropriately/misapplying some "rule" they have. That does not excuse the behavior, but it may mean you will be more successful in talking to the others.  

• Like 3

I’d hope that with the realization that you actually have grounds and documentation for an ADA complaint that could put her completely out of business, they’d hand over your refund in a hurry. 

It wouldn’t necessarily put her out of business, but it adds a bit of clout to the argument—and an interesting aspect to it for reports to BBB and local paper.  

Definitely make reports very factual.  Not only is that stronger, but as well you don’t want to her to accused you of defaming her. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

To be frank, I think I might legit ask that question, "So, because you prayed and feel good about it, it's okay to blatantly disregard your word?  I think Christ has this thing about lying..."

But I tend towards aggressive-aggressive rather than passive-aggressive....

I'd probably ask: how does this fit into the whole "thou shalt not steal"?

10 hours ago, kiwik said:

Yeah no. Choosing not to move your child to an unsuitable class when they went back on their word does not mean they get to keep your money.  You should get a full refund and a discount if you do enroll again.

does the person who is, basically, stealing the money - an employee or the owner?  if she's the owner, this will be a place from which to stay far far away.  I wouldn't trust them to provide a quality education, even in a class.  

if there is a board - go there.  if she's an employee - go to the owner, and let the owner know.  if there is still no satisfaction - then I would pull out the bigger guns.

I would leave, factual and objective, bad reviews everywhere it can be done.

• Like 5

I'm sorry this is happening. She'll be the type to also pull out verses about how Christians shouldn't sue Chriatians. 

In the very early 2000s I'd hear, "I'm saying this in love *enter mean comment here*".

I was listening to a Christian podcaster who said that was an "acceptable" way for a Christian to be a b#tch... 

Kelly

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I do wonder why they just didn't go with this.  At that age, one extra student is unlikely to be a real hardship. 

I think because going down that road sets a precedent. Our homeschool center had a very firm 15 person max for every class.

When you say “person in charge”, do you mean she is top of the organization? If she has a supervisor, I would start with a call to that person. Be clear that you want the $175 back, as your registration was for a specific class and your child was removed from it against your wishes. 

I would not address the prayer part at all. That is annoying, but to bring it up distracts from the primary issue.

If a call does not work, or your money is not refunded promptly, I would follow up (shortly thereafter, within a couple weeks certainly) with a strongly worded, but direct and specific, letter/e mail to the director and any other pertinent leadership. I would be clear in what I want the outcome to be, and state that I would be referring the matter to an attorney if I didn’t get a response by a certain date.

I think all of that will get your money back. Ultimately you are unlikely to need small claims court, though I would personally go that way if necessary.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

My point is that her odds of getting it back if they don't willingly do so without going to court, are between slim and none. She's going to spend even MORE to attempt, and in TX, it is just that. An attempt that is more often that not fruitless as @KidsHappen mentions. I am saying what I'm saying to keep her from losing more. People on this thread are giving her an inaccurate picture of collecting from a small claims court in TX. Again, assuming she still resides in TX. If she's in another state, of course disregard. But in TX, the debtor has far more rights than the creditor. 

See, I disagree. I think the vast majority of people, especially those in in a job that depends on a good reputation, are going to cave before getting to court. And a person who talks so much about praying over their business decisions is not going to want to be exposed for the greedy little git that they are. It's not that I think they are willing, but I do think they can be persuaded. If it gets to the point of court being the next step, she can always choose to stop, but absolutely I would recommend she speak to other people at the business, send a demand letter, post questions on social media, and so on. Most courts require or highly recommend the demand letter before filing. You would have to be determined as heck to cut off your nose to spite your face to ignore a demand letter in this situation. 

There are plenty of demand letter examples online. 

• Like 1

I'm just...wow. I told dh about this, and he's outraged on your behalf.  He just walked off talking about lawyers.

I do not consider it unfair to post negative reviews. I'd consider it a good deed for the community.  How many other people does she do this to?  For example,  I recently found out that a local hairstylist charges Americans higher prices than locals; I'm grateful to have heard before I went to his shop.

I'd leave the prayer part out of the review and just stick with the plain facts, but the use of God as a bully on her side is really obnoxious.  She's trying to shut down your objections with religious bullying. 

• Like 5

I agree with contacting her again and laying out the reasons why it is inappropriate and morally wrong for her to keep the registration fee. And with contacting anyone who is above her -- owner or board.

But I think you should do it via email, not over the phone, so that you have a written record of all of the interactions.

We just disputed a credit card charge for an online purchase last week, because we canceled the order but could not find a way to contact the company or get a confirmation that they were not going to bill us. The credit card company asked us if we could document what had happened (we could). So I think having the conversation in writing may be important.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 9