Menu

S/O: US News reports for Engineering Schools

DawnM

My son is now a pre-engineering major. ¬†This month anyway.¬†ūü§£¬† (shhh, don't tell him I said that.)

I decided to check his school's ranking.  I know it isn't super high, but it isn't awful either.  He is going to UNC Charlotte.   I clicked on "best undergraduate engineering schools" to get rankings, but they show up as doctorates?

What am I doing wrong?

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate

• Like 1

From your link. So this ranking is a subset of engineering schools.

‚ÄúThe programs below are schools whose highest engineering degree offered is a doctorate.‚ÄĚ

This one has both rankings https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering

‚ÄúThese programs are split into two groups: schools whose highest engineering degree offered is a doctorate and schools whose highest engineering degree offered is a bachelor's or master's.‚ÄĚ

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

From your link. So this ranking is a subset of engineering schools.

‚ÄúThe programs below are schools whose highest engineering degree offered is a doctorate.‚ÄĚ

This one has both rankings https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering

‚ÄúThese programs are split into two groups: schools whose highest engineering degree offered is a doctorate and schools whose highest engineering degree offered is a bachelor's or master's.‚ÄĚ

Ah thanks.  Definitely not enough sleep last night.  

• Like 1

It is tied for #87 for "Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs".   IMO that is THE most important ranking you can look at.  Also, the rankings for individual engineering disciplines, if available to you, would be very interesting.

Some  schools (UNC CH is one) are highly ranked for "Best Undergraduate Teaching" which IMO is VERY critical.  Many universities are focused on their Graduate students and Undergraduate students and their education are not their #1 priority.

Sounds good.  (I am assuming the Major he is interested in is ABET accredited)

• Like 1

To compare, this is for UNC CH:  "#59 (tie) in Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs"

My guess is there isn't a lot of space between #59 and #87.   However, based on my knowledge of UNC (because DD will be a "Tar Heel") I don't think of it as an "Engineering School" although they do offer some Majors. 

ETA: And here are the rankings for North Carolina State in Raleigh:

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/north-carolina-state-raleigh-2972/overall-rankings

So, of those 3 schools, State is ranked  highest for Undergraduate Engineering programs. 

Depending on the Discipline he will probably be fine at UNC Charlotte. Good luck to him!
Edited by Lanny
add ETA
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lanny said:

To compare, this is for UNC CH:  "#59 (tie) in Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs"

My guess is there isn't a lot of space between #59 and #87.   However, based on my knowledge of UNC (because DD will be a "Tar Heel") I don't think of it as an "Engineering School" although they do offer some Majors. 

ETA: And here are the rankings for North Carolina State in Raleigh:

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/north-carolina-state-raleigh-2972/overall-rankings

So, of those 3 schools, State is ranked  highest for Undergraduate Engineering programs. 

Depending on the Discipline he will probably be fine at UNC Charlotte. Good luck to him!

it is a fairly new engineering program school, and yes, NC State is "the best"  for engineering in our state, but that isn't crucial to him.  

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

Dawn, Imwouldnt worry about the ranking. It is the degree, experience, and work performance that will matter. My ds attend a Unwith RNP for his chemE degree. He has a fabulous career and makes a very high income for his yrs of experience. Ranking is USNWRs bread and butter, not employers'.

• Like 4

I just read the OP again and picked up on the "pre-engineering" so that doesn't sound like he has a Discipline declared at this time.

I went to ABET.ORG again and changed the name of the school a bit and PRESTO here is the URL. He is good to go if his Major is on this list:

http://main.abet.org/aps/AccreditedProgramsDetails.aspx?OrganizationID=75&ProgramIDs=

Good luck to him!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I just read the OP again and picked up on the "pre-engineering" so that doesn't sound like he has a Discipline declared at this time.

I went to ABET.ORG again and changed the name of the school a bit and PRESTO here is the URL. He is good to go if his Major is on this list:

http://main.abet.org/aps/AccreditedProgramsDetails.aspx?OrganizationID=75&ProgramIDs=

Good luck to him!

Well, that is all the engineering they offer, so yes.  He is looking at Mechanical.  

I was really just curious how they ranked.   We have friends whose kids went to engineering schools not even in the top 200 and have jobs and are doing great, so I wasn't really "worried" I was more just curious.  In fact, one of our friends' kid double majored in mechanical and electrical and got two summers of internship at Kennedy Space center.   He loved it.  And they loved him.  

And yes, pre-engineering because he didn't take Chem and Calc in high school, so he is signed up for those and we will see how he does.  If he doesn't get certain grades in those he will most likely be choosing a new major.  But he is a "not sure what I want to do" kid more than a "passionate about engineering and will be crushed if I don't get in" kid.  

All part of the journey at this point.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Dawn, Imwouldnt worry about the ranking. It is the degree, experience, and work performance that will matter. My ds attend a Unwith RNP for his chemE degree. He has a fabulous career and makes a very high income for his yrs of experience. Ranking is USNWRs bread and butter, not employers'.

it honestly was just curiosity.  I don't care about the ranking overall.  I had heard that it was ranked 2nd of the NC State colleges, and I wasn't sure about that.  Just curious.  Heck, I am not even sure he will pursue Engineering after this semester!  We will see.

And yes, many of our friends went to "lower ranked or not even on the list" schools and are engineers and doing just fine.  

• Like 1

IMO he  will be much better off taking Calculus in the university. The Engineering school/college will teach it the way they want it taught...

I hope he does well with Chem and Calc and gets into the Mech Engineering program!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lanny said:

IMO he  will be much better off taking Calculus in the university. The Engineering school/college will teach it the way they want it taught...

I hope he does well with Chem and Calc and gets into the Mech Engineering program!

Thanks.  I think he would be good at it, but he just doesn't seem sure of what he wants.  Somehow, they all find their way though.  

We aren't a STEM family overall.  DH is in Accounting and I am in Psychology and Education.  My oldest is in the Arts.  If middle son doesn't end up in Engineering,   I think he will end up in Entertainment as well.  He loves doing music and video editing.  I told him he should make a career of it, but he is wanting to try Engineering.  

The nice thing about Chemistry is that the professor offers a 30 hour pre-class for only $250.  It is the entire week before school starts, all day long, every day.  He basically goes over exactly what to expect from the class, tricks and tips on how to pass, and a preview of everything that will be taught.   We signed him up!  Now, it is entirely possible that he does that week and says, "Oh, wait, never mind, change my schedule completely, this isn't for me" but it will be a good way to introduce him to the rigors of the program.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lanny said:

The Chem pre-class sounds good.  A Calc Pre-class like that would also be good.  If that's not available, reviewing an Algebra 1 textbook would be a good idea. One can forget many things over the years. 

There isn't one.  He has already been going through the book though and talked to a friend who took the class over the summer.  The math he thinks he has got, the science I am a little concerned about.