Menu

any bloggers out there?

omishev

Anyone generate income blogging? I am considering starting an academic blog geared towards exercise science majors (quite a niche, I know!) to introduce students to the current literature. To replace my current job I would need to make about $1000/month. I would absolutely be worthwhile even if I made nothing because it would keep me accountable for staying up to date on the happenings in my field while I'm home with the kids, which I have not done these past 7 years. I just don't see myself having time to do both. I would love to hear from anyone who has done this successfully!

I dabbled in it several years ago, but my impression of the current market is that the income blogger ship has sorta sailed. (I’m happy to be corrected if someone here has a different experience.) Vlogging (video bloggin), Podcasts and live stream on SM seem to be the more current deal. 

Someone else may have more encoraging experience, though. 

I've been in and out of the blogging world for 10ish years. The money now is being made either in affiliate sales or selling your own products. You use the blog to draw traffic to your website. Blogging itself probably won't make you much money. But if you have products you can create and sell, like digital products, you can do very well. Assuming there's a market. (edited for punctuation.)

Edited by guilfordlake

I have a Blog but I am not making any money.  Mine is for wives/ex wives left behind by sex offenders.  That is a niche market and while an income would be nice to have, I am not out there to make money off terrible situations.

Therefore, I am not posting ads, etc. Which, if the blog grew a great deal, might bring in some money.

I just know that I hate blogs where every fourth word is a link to an ad, there are ads between every paragraph, etc.

• Thanks 1

I’ve actually done some research into the blogging business with some future ideas in mind.  My conclusion is that it is absolutely possible... with the right topic, the right content, the right strategies, and SERIOUS hustle. The way I used to blog years ago would not make any money.

YouTube is now generally expected to be a part of blogging, or at least a podcast, as Quill mentioned. Things like digital downloads are a chunk of Big Bloggers’ income. Traffic from Instagram and Pinterest is almost an imperative. Relying on just ad income or basic affiliate links doesn’t bring in a whole lot unless there’s a viral-level following.

A lot of bloggers make money teaching people how to blog. I’ve done a handful of inexpensive courses and books and watched some YouTube videos to get a little inside look, and it’s kind of fascinating to me. I’m not going to start blogging anytime soon, but it’s become a bit of a sociological research project for me. I respect the hustle.  People are out there busting their humps and making some great content.