Menu

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with the online program k 12? More specifically 7th grade.

Is it strictly online? No meeting in person?

Are classes at certain times or video recorded and one can watch at their leisure?

Can one do this while say in Japan?

I am gathering info for a friend.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

One of my friends is doing this and I've picked her brain extensively.

There is a split amount of bookwork and online classes.  The child is expected to be present during the live online classes, but if it's not manageable then he/she can catch the class later on their own time.  The assignments are sent in by the parent if they're not done online (pdf scan).

I think if your friend was using it in Japan, they'd be doing Connections Academy or the paid option.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

One of my friends is doing this and I've picked her brain extensively.

There is a split amount of bookwork and online classes.  The child is expected to be present during the live online classes, but if it's not manageable then he/she can catch the class later on their own time.  The assignments are sent in by the parent if they're not done online (pdf scan).

I think if your friend was using it in Japan, they'd be doing Connections Academy or the paid option.

Thanks for the info HomeAgain.

Can one not be enrolled in K 12 while moving to Japan mid-year?

7 hours ago, desertflower said:

Thanks for the info HomeAgain.

Can one not be enrolled in K 12 while moving to Japan mid-year?

I'm not sure.  I think that would definitely be a question to ask.  If a child is enrolled through a state-run program here they're required to do the same public school testing and the program coordinators choose the site/proctors.  Since the free program is actually paid for by state dollars, and moving to Japan would either put a child under federal DoDEA or an international jurisdiction, I'm not sure how that would work and whether they would allow it.

My oldest ds did an asynchronous program when we were moving internationally.  He started TTUISD, which uses recorded lessons and has a self-paced program.  We were able to pay for classes as he took them (starting a new class each month as he finished another, so we paid $180/mo just about), and it didn't matter if he "missed" a week or two while we transitioned.  Plus, we got to pick his testing site and proctor (he used the college test proctor on base).

• Like 1