Menu

What's with the ads?

Harpymom

Starting over with one of my Honorary Kids

My Honorary ds19 has just today (!) decided he'd like to go back to school this fall after Green Mountain College closed up shop.  He'd like to go to Warren Wilson where he was accepted last year.  I'm proud of him for finally making the decision and emailing the admissions office and the soccer coach, but of course concerned (!!) that he's a bit late.  They say they have rolling admissions, so here's hoping.

• Like 4

Timing is everything!  He submitted his Common App Transfer application today, a few hours before it was taken down for this cycle.  And the coach emailed him back!  I'm holding him and his "real" family in the light.

• Like 4

Hmmm, last night his sister - another Honorary - told me he hasn't checked his email all week because he's too nervous to see whether he's been accepted/rejected.  My former career as a midwife gave me a lot of skill at helping women figure out how to work through fear, but I'm a little stumped here. Any advice from been-there, done-that parents?  My usual approach would be to chat with him and ask what was the scariest thing he's done yet (probably functioning through his parents' divorce) then point out that this isn't as hard as that...but a 19 year old man just isn't facing the shadow of labor when he's too scared to check his email, so this may not work as a tactic. My biological kids would get an earful of Be Grateful, but that might be a little heavy-handed for this one. He's more like a scared deer.  I'm thinking soothing conversation about other things, cups of tea and apple-cheddar pancakes, then a casual suggestion we check it together.  It would be funny if it weren't so concerning!

Edited by Harpymom

They don't mail an acceptance/rejection letter? See if he wants to call admissions and ask while your there. Ask if it's okay for you  to check his student portal with or without him there. If he does get in ask if he wants you to go to help sign up. Really you'd just be there for moral support or if your child knows the proccess have them go with your Honorary Child

Thanks, that's just what I did (asked if he wanted me to check the portal) and he said he was able to now.  It's all about the moral support.  No news yet!  

Got the news yesterday that his dad never sent the FAFSA when he received the email prompt, because he thought the son had been ungrateful and won't do well in college.  Sigh.  Also, GMC has given all the records to Prescott College, so HDS will come eat pancakes this morning and I'll help him navigate the need-my-transcript-right-now phone call to Prescott - the Warren Wilson admins say it's probably too late at this point.  I'm also going to help him brainstorm Plan B.

And Plan B: he applied and was accepted to a NOLS semester course - confidence-building, adventure, and a whole semester's worth of college credit.  His professional goal is to do adventure education, so he'll be learning hands-on from the best.  I am thrilled but will be holding my breath until he leaves the base for the course.

• Like 2