Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

Do teens/kids still wrap (tp) houses?

This morning we set out to a park (It was 71 degrees with no humidity which is unheard of in coastal TX in July) to take advantage of the weather. Because of @Quill thread I was extra attentive to the roadsides looking for litter and I jinxed my town!! We saw no less than 15 full, large rolls of toilet paper all over the highway. None were unrolled (yet) but some were most definitely squished as they were on the actual roadway, not the side. Anyway, my kids were coming up with all of these crazy theories about how and why the toilet paper was there and I said "maybe some teenagers were out wrapping houses or something nearby and threw them out to ditch the evidence" and then had to explain what wrapping a house was to them.

That made me wonder- do people still wrap houses? We live in a quasi-rural so it's not a thing out here that I've ever seen, but made me curious if it still is in suburbs? I know when I was growing up people wrapped houses all the time. Do they still?  Figured you guys might know! 

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan
  • Like 1

Oh no.  🤫 don’t give them ideas or it will probably take off in popularity!

I have seen a couple TP  wrapped houses in recent years, but it’s not common.  

• Haha 1

I live in an urban family friendly neighborhood and we used to see them fairly regularly though not much in the past couple years. 

• Like 1

NOOOOO.

Where we live, many people have cameras, and judging by the comments on Nextdoor, there is the possibility of being shot :(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jen500 said:

NOOOOO.

Where we live, many people have cameras, and judging by the comments on Nextdoor, there is the possibility of being shot 😞

Oh, duh, I hadn't even THOUGHT about the cameras! That is a good point. Where we live most people are armed, but they were when I was a teenager every bit as much- when I was growing up rifle racks in pick up trucks were not at all unusual! But I do guess we (general we- I never wrapped a house myself) didn't think about it then. I guess social media has pointed that risk out a little better. 

Tp’ing is alive and well in the small town near us, but it’s done in a friendly way, not to be nasty. It’s pretty common for kids to tp each other’s houses for birthdays, homecoming, graduation, etc.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Oh, duh, I hadn't even THOUGHT about the cameras! That is a good point. Where we live most people are armed, but they were when I was a teenager every bit as much- when I was growing up rifle racks in pick up trucks were not at all unusual! But I do guess we (general we- I never wrapped a house myself) didn't think about it then. I guess social media has pointed that risk out a little better. 

When I was in high school, some friends were tp-ing a house and the owner shot up in the air to warn the kids to leave. Unfortunately, the shot came down on one of the girls and paralyzed her.

I don't see it too much here. From what my kids have told me, if a house is tp'd, they like or are friends with someone living in it.

• Sad 8

10 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Is wrapping and tp-ing the same thing?

We called it rolling. I haven't seen any evidence of rolled yards since about the mid-2000s. I suspect cameras make it harder to get away with these days. 

• Like 3

Why don't all people with guns know that shooting into the air isn't okay?  Where do they think the bullet goes?!  That's so sad 😞

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Tp’ing is alive and well in the small town near us, but it’s done in a friendly way, not to be nasty. It’s pretty common for kids to tp each other’s houses for birthdays, homecoming, graduation, etc.

Oddly, it was both here in my day. I think the recipient usually knew how it was meant. FTR, I only did it once, and that was as an assist. My friend wanted to roll her ex's house after he broke up with her by way of simply going out with someone else.

• Like 1

@theTexan, interesting...and now I gotta know - did you see trash besides the tp? 

I haven’t seen a tp-ing in many decades, and I have only heard of it as a pre-Halloween prank. I think it’s covered under vandalism laws, along with “egging” and poop bombs. 

I’m sure security cameras are a big deterrant. 

• Like 1

Before this thread, I had never heard of people doing it to the house itself.  Where I grew up, people did it to the trees, particularly on Halloween - they'd throw the roll up over branches again and again until the tree was covered.  Complete clean-up was impossible, so some of it would be up there for months.  

• Like 2

I haven't seen it in several years, though the most recent one sticks out in my mind.  Some kids tp'd my neighbor's house - she is an elderly widow, lives alone, is somewhat frail, and rarely seen outside. She certainly is not an angry old "get off my lawn, you kids!" person.  She was so distressed by it!   We went over and cleaned it up for her, of course, but she was so upset.  I recall from my teen years that it was something people did to folks they knew, so I was quite surprised - and angry - to see her house done.  

• Sad 5

I have never seen it in person, only in movies.

In the area I lived in several years ago, "flamigo-ing" a lawn was pretty popular.  http://www.flamingosurprise.com/  It went on for a bit, then kind of went away.  But that's not really the same type of thing as TP-ing, it's more like those giant lawn cards lol.  

• Like 1

Here I've only ever seen it done to trees and only on "mischief night," which is the evening before Halloween.  Usually only a few houses get hit or a specific block or neighborhood.  It doesn't seem any more or less than when I was a kid.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quill said:

@theTexan, interesting...and now I gotta know - did you see trash besides the tp? 

I haven’t seen a tp-ing in many decades, and I have only heard of it as a pre-Halloween prank. I think it’s covered under vandalism laws, along with “egging” and poop bombs. 

I’m sure security cameras are a big deterrant. 

I did! At least on the highway. The kids and I made sure we paid attention. There was a blown out tire- the main tire was on the shoulder, but there were shreds from the tire for quite a ways along in the grass. And a largish cardboard box. And of course the TP. We are waiting to see how long it takes the TP to disappear or be picked up. They'll have to shut down the road to do it, unless someone wants to play Human Frogger. They don't even let squished armadillos sit on the roads around here though, so I'm guessing it'll get picked up pretty fast. (I live in a weird mix of cattle and horse farms combined with people from the suburbs who tend to like the idea of nature much more than the reality of having so much "nature" around.  They call the city for anything and everything- from skunks in their yard to roadkill squirrels- and ask it to be dealt with.) The kids and I are betting how long it takes for the box, the tire and the TP to go. We're going to go out to dinner so I can avoid cooking so we can check. 😂

As of my trip just now, all was still there, just more toward the shoulders/grass. It was honestly an impressive amount of TP. I wish I could've safely taken a pic while driving. If it wasn't tossed from teens out wrapping houses, I'm not sure what the heck it would all be from. If a truck had lost a pallet or something it'd have been wrapped. You can tell how uneventful my life is that The Mysterious Case of the Toilet Paper on the Highway is my excitement, LOL. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, klmama said:

Before this thread, I had never heard of people doing it to the house itself.  Where I grew up, people did it to the trees, particularly on Halloween - they'd throw the roll up over branches again and again until the tree was covered.  Complete clean-up was impossible, so some of it would be up there for months.  

I'm guessing it's regional terminology! They do, or at least did, only the trees here too. Not the houses. We just always referred to it as someone getting their house wrapped. Lots and lots of oak trees most places here, so easy targets. 

1 hour ago, marbel said:

I haven't seen it in several years, though the most recent one sticks out in my mind.  Some kids tp'd my neighbor's house - she is an elderly widow, lives alone, is somewhat frail, and rarely seen outside. She certainly is not an angry old "get off my lawn, you kids!" person.  She was so distressed by it!   We went over and cleaned it up for her, of course, but she was so upset.  I recall from my teen years that it was something people did to folks they knew, so I was quite surprised - and angry - to see her house done.  

Those were jerk kids!  I'm glad y'all cleaned it up for her. That was nice of you. 

12 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Those were jerk kids!  I'm glad y'all cleaned it up for her. That was nice of you. 

Nah, any normal neighbor would do it.  I did wonder if the kids were not only jerky, but idiots who went to the wrong house.  🙂

• Like 2

At one local high school, the seniors roll the school, the stadium (which is off site,) and the superintendent’s house the night before school starts every year. Then they all clean it up the next afternoon after the first day of school. Last year they bought too much TP and left the extra rolls on the front porch of the superintendent’s house. 

• Haha 2

I've never seen it done in real life or heard of someone doing it. I've only lived in suburbs and small-to-medium-sized cities on the East Coast.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Selkie said:

I bet their parents loved that. When I was in high school, your friends plastered the bridge and doors of the school with posters of your face saying "Wish so-and-so a happy birthday today!"

• Like 3

I saw a house that was tp'ed on Halloween just last year. I was walking by with my friend in his neighborhood - our kids were out ToTing. I was like, gee, I haven't seen that in ages. He was like, savage kids and went and started pulling it down. I was like, dude, random yard. He was like, no, it's not, it's my uncle's house, he just doesn't live here anymore because he's had health issues. So I think they tp'ed a house they knew was mostly abandoned.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

This morning we set out to a park (It was 71 degrees with no humidity which is unheard of in coastal TX in July) to take advantage of the weather. Because of @Quill thread I was extra attentive to the roadsides looking for litter and I jinxed my town!! We saw no less than 15 full, large rolls of toilet paper all over the highway. None were unrolled (yet) but some were most definitely squished as they were on the actual roadway, not the side. Anyway, my kids were coming up with all of these crazy theories about how and why the toilet paper was there and I said "maybe some teenagers were out wrapping houses or something nearby and threw them out to ditch the evidence" and then had to explain what wrapping a house was to them.

That made me wonder- do people still wrap houses? We live in a quasi-rural so it's not a thing out here that I've ever seen, but made me curious if it still is in suburbs? I know when I was growing up people wrapped houses all the time. Do they still?  Figured you guys might know! 

LOL... They must.  A neighbor about a half mile away (we live rurally so that's a fairly close neighbor) seems to be tp'ed a lot during football season.  I assume they have high school football player.  I'll bet he just loves it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Selkie said:

Yes - this.  Common but I don't know that anyone does it to be nasty-  just a prank on friends usually.  I remember being in high school and my dad being especially "thrilled" when it was our turn one night.  It was genuine friends who did it, lol.

• Like 2

I've definitely seen some recently.

We call it "toilet papering" though.  Maybe "wrapping" isn't the in term?

(Also, I am not sure if my kids know about this ... and if they don't, I'm not sure I want to tell them ....)

• Haha 1

Not long after my XH and I divorced one of the neighbor kids 'forked' XH's yard.  And stuck a knife in a tree in his yard.  He accused me of doing it.  Like I would be wandering around my old neighborhood poking plastic forks in his lawn.  SMH

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Not long after my XH and I divorced one of the neighbor kids 'forked' XH's yard.  And stuck a knife in a tree in his yard.  He accused me of doing it.  Like I would be wandering around my old neighborhood poking plastic forks in his lawn.  SMH

Wow this is a new one on me! Forking, huh?

8 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Wow this is a new one on me! Forking, huh?

Ha, well it was done 10 years ago.  I had not heard of it before or since. The 12 year old who did it just got  married last weekend....maybe she made it up.  She was always creative.

• Haha 2

On 7/24/2019 at 11:32 AM, Lady Florida. said:

We called it rolling. I haven't seen any evidence of rolled yards since about the mid-2000s. I suspect cameras make it harder to get away with these days. 

I agree.  I last saw them I think when we lived in Florida so same time period.

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Ha, well it was done 10 years ago.  I had not heard of it before or since. The 12 year old who did it just got  married last weekend....maybe she made it up.  She was always creative.

Yes, it would be slightly over 10 years ago-- 11-13.

What has replaced it, however, is worse--but not usually done to friend's car--- egging cars and not only parked car.  A few years ago, one of my dd's almost had a bad crash because of being egged when she was about to crest a steep hill since it was night, and it was several eggs so covered her windshield.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On a funny note, when we lived in FL, we went on a vacation to Georgia and nearby was Auburn University.  Auburn has a very long tradition of rolling what used to be the Toomer's Oak (poisoned a few years ago).  That daughter just finished 9th grade at it was her first college visit.  She hated it- partially because of their school colors (she is not a fan of Orange), partially because the student guide only talked about football and social stuff, nothing about academics or research being done there, but what absolutely sealed her dislike was how proud that girl was of rolling that Oak tree.  Getting back to the straw thread, she thought it was just a stupid, pointless, waste of paper and was also pollution.

Is forking just sticking s bunch of plastic forks in the front yard? If so, I might prefer to be forked instead of tp'd. It would seem to be a lot easier to clean up!

On 7/24/2019 at 2:27 PM, happysmileylady said:

I have never seen it in person, only in movies.

In the area I lived in several years ago, "flamigo-ing" a lawn was pretty popular.  http://www.flamingosurprise.com/  It went on for a bit, then kind of went away.  But that's not really the same type of thing as TP-ing, it's more like those giant lawn cards lol.  

Oh yes, that happened both in Fl and here in Al probably about 7 years ago here.  I was surprised that it happened here since we are 6 hours away from the ocean.