Jump to content

Menu

Rod and Staff Science


Recommended Posts

It is easy to use, the demos are decent (around the house kind of stuff and nice nature study-ish kind of things),

BUT

it is dry.  Very dry.  Breakfast toast left out on the counter dry.

Which is fine if you have a kid who doesn't want or need all the bling.  But my kids needed a little more bling to keep them reading.  One of mine who was gasping for air with R&S science did much better with Abeka science for elementary.

Here's a sample of R&S's 3rd grade book...https://samples.milestonebooks.com/1-14391/#11

Here's a sample of Abeka's 3rd grade book... https://www.abeka.com/abekaonline/bookdescription.aspx?sbn=104612

ETA:  I mentioned Abeka because it is similar to R&S in having a Creator God standpoint is its presentation, and because I have experience with it. Not because I think it is the only thing that could work for you. 

 

 

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the K workbooks too; I'm about to order the set for child #6.  🙂

But their science just didn't click with two of my kids. 

Maybe some other threads might help you get more opinions...

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/494230-rod-and-staff-science/ 

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/576370-rod-and-staff-science-or-bju-science-4th-grade/ 

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/61357-rod-and-staff-science/

 

 

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2019 at 2:27 PM, lulalu said:

Looking at 3rd grade R&S science. Anyone use this and have thoughts? 

Is it easy to use? Simple demonstrations? Good for a boy that loves science? 

It's a textbook, so it will be drier than, say, a science written by a homeschooler. 🙂 But it's decent for a textbook. There are some hands-on activities, and it's easy to use. I think it could be a good base science.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 6:37 AM, Ellie said:

It's a textbook, so it will be drier than, say, a science written by a homeschooler. 🙂 But it's decent for a textbook. There are some hands-on activities, and it's easy to use. I think it could be a good base science.

What would you add to it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lulalu said:

What would you add to it? 

I'd have to have it in my hand to make specific suggestions. 🙂 I'm sure when you read through it you will have some ideas. It's a complete science; you just might--or might not--want to add field trips or something.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ellie said:

I'd have to have it in my hand to make specific suggestions. 🙂 I'm sure when you read through it you will have some ideas. It's a complete science; you just might--or might not--want to add field trips or something.

Thanks. We do lots of field trips. And I really want an easy to do science with activities. Activities that don't need much for supplies or time. 

Trying to decide between R&S or just getting Janice Van Cleave books and Let's Read and Find Out. And picking a few areas for the year. But putting together my own and I want it all! I see a bunch of fun books and I want all of them. 

So I am thinking R&S might be more practical and down to earth for elementary age. But I don't want it to be boring. DS loves all things science and this is his fun area for school work. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lulalu said:

Thanks. We do lots of field trips. And I really want an easy to do science with activities. Activities that don't need much for supplies or time. 

Trying to decide between R&S or just getting Janice Van Cleave books and Let's Read and Find Out. And picking a few areas for the year. But putting together my own and I want it all! I see a bunch of fun books and I want all of them. 

So I am thinking R&S might be more practical and down to earth for elementary age. But I don't want it to be boring. DS loves all things science and this is his fun area for school work. 

Have you seen the curriculum samples?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lulalu said:

Yes I have looked at the samples. From what I can read it doesn't look too boring. But many reviews say it is so dry. 

If it doesn't look bad to *you*, then that's what matters. 🙂

You can always return it to the publisher (or wherever you buy it; I always buy from the publisher) if you don't like it once you get the whole thing in your hands and read through it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ellie said:

If it doesn't look bad to *you*, then that's what matters. 🙂

You can always return it to the publisher (or wherever you buy it; I always buy from the publisher) if you don't like it once you get the whole thing in your hands and read through it.

We live overseas which makes returns a headache! I feel so much pressure to get all our curriculum just right and all in one shipping so I only pay shipping once! 

I am going to order it, and try it out. 

Thanks for your help. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually love Rod and Staff Science 2nd grade and 4th-8th....my kids absolutely LOVE it here.  It becomes pretty independent for them from 4th grade on.  BUT...for some reason we all thought the 3rd level was a bit boring compared to the rest of the series....so dont judge the program by the 3rd year.  My recommendation would be to do the 2nd year Patterns of Nature-it is awesome and add Abeka Science 3.  The lower level Abeka Science is great for kiddos, but Patterns of Nature is just not to be missed.

Brenda

P.S. Did I say that the first books my kids want to do during our reading hour is Rod and Staff Science and Social Studies books....they just love them.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 6:59 PM, Zoo Keeper said:

I like the K workbooks too; I'm about to order the set for child #6.  🙂

But their science just didn't click with two of my kids. 

Maybe some other threads might help you get more opinions...

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/494230-rod-and-staff-science/ 

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/576370-rod-and-staff-science-or-bju-science-4th-grade/ 

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/61357-rod-and-staff-science/

 

 

We are also doing Rod and Staff K books this year plus CLE K2 program...they seem to have different focuses...I love them both!

Brenda

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...