Menu

What's with the ads?

heartlikealion

Twin xl bed (updated, sorta)

Latest update pg 4

In one of my dr hive threads we discussed new beds for my son. There was a good option, but the thickness/length I had in mind is out of stock. Sam’s Club has a decent option, but they don’t seem to offer a payment plan. Amazon has a 5 month payment plan. Dh has to spend money each semester on his online doctorate classes and we’re trying to avoid using our credit card where possible. That means I really need the payment plan options. Really I don’t think dh wants to buy a bed yet because of the cost, but I think it needs to happen soon. I’ve found affordable bed frames & dorm bedding as well. 

Any thoughts on this bed or another xl twin? 

Best Price Mattress 8-Inch Memory Foam Mattress, Twin XL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFE0A2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CycnDb2856WRJ

Ds is tall and I’m nervous to buy a twin seeing as the bed I buy may be used for ten years. I had him lie down on our CA King and I drew very loose estimates of where the measurements for twin and twin XL are. Yes, you have more space if you bend your legs or sleep on your back (feet pointing up) but I’m not banking on that. I didn’t have a tape measure handy when I took the pic. Dh is 6’ 5.5” and thinks he outgrew his twin around this age. His feet hang off our CA king. 

7F551EAD-7678-4FF1-8790-BAF6AD63FE8F.jpeg

Edited by heartlikealion

Wow, your kid is super tall!  If you're thinking to keep it for 10 years I might go for a twin XL, sure.  Is the cost much more?  It seems like you're just talking $15 extra or so.

I wouldn't buy new bedding (a full or queen or regular twin comforter should work fine still), except a new fitted sheet; those are not too much.  I like the ultra soft fitted ones from Target because you can buy just a fitted (we go through more fitteds than flats and often don't use flats at all) and they're, well, soft.  

I also wouldn't worry about a frame right now.

But, here is what I would do in your case probably; I'd save absolutely all unnecessary expenditures for a month or two and then buy the bed cash.  If he has a bed now and hasn't been sleeping on it (from a previous thread), I think you can wait a month or two for the new bed while insisting that he sleeps on his bed every night, unless it is making him very sore in the morning or something.  

• Like 1

Agree with Moonflower. Make a budget - by the week - on paper.  You've got to prioritize the vision care...going to school with up-to-date glasses is going to be a big help for your dd's learning. 

• Like 3

I’d be concerned about the comments saying some people experienced a chemical smell from it.

My dh is 6'5".  As a kid growing up in the 80s, he had a twin bed because that's what his parents had for him.  His first twin xl was in college.
Ds1 is 6'3".  He had a twin until towards the end of high school, when he got a queen and his twin was passed down.

It won't hurt anything to wait, even the 5 months, and put the money in a separate, specific savings account that would probably be a good thing to open anyway.  You may also find better sales during the dorm rush time/clearance after.

• Like 2

Any chance you could put the word out there with local friends and see if there is something "almost new" that would be available?   Good memory foam does last a while, so buying something a year or so old (or maybe in a guest room that was almost unused) would be fine.  

I agree with waiting and putting money aside for now.

And, just for the record, my college boys both have twin beds.  I asked when we moved if they wanted full or XL and they said they were fine with a twin.  

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

He refused to sleep in his bed last night so I think to him the living room is more comfortable but I think he should be on a floor not in a chair. 

The bed frame I found on Amazon was $35 

Zinus Shawn 14 Inch SmartBase Mattress Foundation / Platform Bed Frame / Box Spring Replacement / Quiet Noise-Free / Maximum Under-bed Storage, Twin XL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006MIQKJE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CJfnDbG95MHWD

I could hold off on the bedding idea and just get sheets. I’m not keeping his current quilt. It barely fits in the washer and we have an agitator. He kicks everything off the bed in his sleep, too. We could maybe just use blankets we have, though. 

To be honest I’m torn on how long to wait to schedule dd’s and ds’ vision appt. I may have no choice but to wait til Sept when the flex spending card renews. They would go together to this optometrist. She’s a behavioral optometrist they were both seeing. She moved away from her closest office and is now 2 hours away. I may or may not be able to schedule her appt the same day as an APD appt. The hearing people didn’t return my voicemail so I’ll call them soon to confirm date. 

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Any chance you could put the word out there with local friends and see if there is something "almost new" that would be available?   Good memory foam does last a while, so buying something a year or so old (or maybe in a guest room that was almost unused) would be fine.  

I agree with waiting and putting money aside for now.

And, just for the record, my college boys both have twin beds.  I asked when we moved if they wanted full or XL and they said they were fine with a twin.  

Are they tall? Our pediatrician was in favor of the twin xl for ds based on his height. 

1 minute ago, heartlikealion said:

Are they tall? Our pediatrician was in favor of the twin xl for ds based on his height. 

How tall is your son?  My boys are about 5'10".

He refused to sleep in his bed?  Remind me (sorry, I can't always keep everything straight) is he on the Spectrum or have sensory issues?  

My husband is 6’5” and we have a queen sized bed.  He would prefer a king but we don’t really have room for it, but his feet don’t hang off if he keeps his head toward the top of the bed.

My 11 year old is 5’4” (95th percentile) and still sleeps in a regular twin. His best friend is 5’7” and 6 months younger, he’s still in a twin. I’m not saying you shouldn’t get an XL twin, just that you have time to wait until you have cash. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

To be honest I’m torn on how long to wait to schedule dd’s and ds’ vision appt. I may have no choice but to wait til Sept when the flex spending card renews. They would go together to this optometrist. She’s a behavioral optometrist they were both seeing. She moved away from her closest office and is now 2 hours away. I may or may not be able to schedule her appt the same day as an APD appt. The hearing people didn’t return my voicemail so I’ll call them soon to confirm date. 

Does your flex card have a 'pay me back' option?  

You have to take care of your dd's vision needs, for her safety and for her learning.  Her glasses need to be the right prescription.  Have you discussed this need and prioritized this need with your spouse?

33 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

He refused to sleep in his bed last night so I think to him the living room is more comfortable but I think he should be on a floor not in a chair. 

If he's sleeping in the living room instead of his bed, it's not the size of the bed that's the problem.

• Like 3

No, the size isn’t the problem, but while shopping I think the xl makes a bit more sense. 

To clarify, dd is no longer going to brick & mortar school in the fall. They canceled the PreK program. 

He is experiencing back pain and the bed is one thing to address. It’s old. It my former full size when I was living alone. His pediatrician referred him to another dr. He has an appt in August. 

Dd and Ds both wear glasses and we usually use the flex spending card for their vision appointments. 

Ds has not been diagnosed with much. Supposedly ADHD (dr but not from school eval). Doesn’t have sensory issues necessarily. 

It does not matter if dd is not going to public school in the fall.  She needs  the right glasses so she can be safe and continue healthy development.  

What you 'usually' do is not working; its time to allow your spouse to help you get the need budgeted and done before the wants.

Vision expenses are annual.  They need to be included in your budget each and every year.  They aren't optional, and they aren't surprises. You must plan for them.

Edited by HeighHo
  • Like 6

Buying the bed now is going to put you in more debt.  That's not a good thing, especially when a few months' wait to pay cash would do just as well.

In my family, we've found that the more that the core muscles are worked (biking, yoga, planks..) the less strain on the back muscles.  DH has had surgery and intensive physical therapy for his issues and all his docs have focused on exercises that really work the abs and get them to carry more of the body instead of depending on the back muscles to do it.  5 years ago, dh could not have gone camping with us when we went in a tent, even with cots.  Next month we're doing it for 10 days.  Getting out of bed was painful for him no matter what mattress he was on.

In your shoes, I'd prioritize the spending and upcoming direct needs, doing what you can for free/really cheap, then ranking the spending.  Glasses or things not covered by the flex spending may need to be in there as well.  When it's all laid out it's easier to see what needs to be done, what can be done, and what is not as pressing as the others.

• Like 3

My 6'2" and 6'3" sons slept/sleep on regular twins until moving out. As did their 6'7" (as a teen- 6'8" as an adult) dad. 

• Like 1

I just bought microfiber twin xl sheet sets at target for like 8.50.  They have stuff out for college dorms.  So cheap!  

In a kid that age, I doubt the bed is causing back issues and I doubt it's an emergency to replace it if you need some time to save up.  I'd look at building up core muscles.  I'd also consider if he might be constipated.  I have IBS and sometimes that manifests as back pain.  And it might not mean he's NOT going at all.  

ETA here is that sheet set at Target
https://www.target.com/p/microfiber-sheet-set-twin-twin-xl-sudden-sapphire-room-essentials-153/-/A-53116622?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Bedding%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Bedding&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9019541&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1247068&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=CjwKCAjwmtDpBRAQEiwAC6lm4x2ubf2GZamYw_hPoS6Y1lwobBoya-ZrR9u30x9RbbcfXt2WgOvmLhoCFA4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 3

A friend of mine with childhood back pain slept on sheets / blankets laid on floor (for a tiny bit of padding and cleanliness)  on her back with knees bent so feet were flat on floor.  

Later when she was older she went to a similarly hard option but more adult-like as a floor tatami mat or a thin cotton futon on a platform bed. 

• Like 2

I suggest you find Esther Gokhale’s book about backs at library, or inter library loan—take a look at it. A memory foam mattress may not be what’s needed.

and proper exercise may help a lot

8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back: Natural Posture Solutions for Pain in the Back, Neck, Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Foot https://www.amazon.com/dp/0979303605/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gNhnDb1CR5SFA

• Like 2

If he has not outgrown his bed but it is getting a bit worn, you could try putting a piece of plywood under the mattress to firm it up and make it last a while longer. 

A good mattress dealer will not sell you memory foam for a dc. They need support and a very firm mattress, much firmer than you think. I have a mattress store in town that I really trust because the guy is always STRAIGHT with me. I've bought beds for both my kids there after the handmedowns were done, and both times he went MUCH FIRMER than you would have thought.

Also, some tall people like to curl rather than sleeping straight. How does he sleep? What position is he in in the morning? My dd LOVED her twin XL. She's 5'9" and it was terrific for her. Ds is not going to be terrifically tall, but he's a curler. For him I got a full size. He super loves it because he can curl and put the dog beside him. Length doesn't do him any good because he wants width. 

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

He is experiencing back pain and the bed is one thing to address.

So put plywood under it to make it more firm. Also flip and rotate the mattress to get it to a spot where it's less worn.

What is he sleeping on in the living room? A recliner or couch will be less firm than the bed.

• Like 1

I bought Twin XL, but my sons only turned out to be about 5'10, which surprised us. They have not even moved to the twin XL. But on that note, with how tall your DH is, I would buy him a Twin XL for sure. And, I bought ours from Nebraska Furniture Mart and it was not that much more expensive than regular twin.

The bed is probably 13 yrs old. I got it when I was single. Ds is 11. It can go. 

I only looked at the memory foam because of the other thread.

I think shoes are another thing for me to evaluate. 

The 5 month payments would be about $30/month on the debit card, not credit card. So I don’t see how saving up cash is better. Debit is cash to me. 

I hear you on the eyes but paying for an eye exam now vs Sept? I’m not sure that’s a hill to die on. 

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I suggest you find Esther Gokhale’s book about backs at library, or inter library loan—take a look at it. A memory foam mattress may not be what’s needed.

and proper exercise may help a lot

8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back: Natural Posture Solutions for Pain in the Back, Neck, Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Foot https://www.amazon.com/dp/0979303605/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gNhnDb1CR5SFA

Absolutely. This book's method of walking was life (back) changing for me.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

The 5 month payments would be about $30/month on the debit card, not credit card. So I don’t see how saving up cash is better. Debit is cash to me. 

Your living room furniture is on a payment plan.
Your dh's classes are on a payment plan.
You're going to put a bed on a payment plan.

You're not letting yourself get ahead.  Putting $30/mo into a separate savings account seems silly to you, but 5 months builds a habit while purchasing something that is outright yours (and maybe finding a better deal in the meantime).  So you do it for 5 months.  You earn a wee bit of interest on it.  You think, on the sixth month, why not just do it for this month, too?  And the next month.  And then maybe again.  And if anything comes up, you don't have to worry about pulling out the credit card because you're not caught with nothing in savings.  And it's in your name, for the purpose of this bed, but then the habit develops and it's still in your name, so the next financial disagreement with your dh doesn't have to turn into a catastrophe.

That's why it's better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

28 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

The bed is probably 13 yrs old. I got it when I was single. Ds is 11. It can go. 

?

My bed is 25 years old.   My son’s bed is also 25 years old and he really may need a new futon for it now. 

Beds don’t need to be bought every few years, nor necessarily go bad in a decade.

Have you done basic things like rotating and flipping the mattress?

Maybe put the mattress direct on the floor? 

• Like 3

I guess to me it was because he could be using the bed during that time... whereas if I’m squirreling away money he’s still sleeping on the living room floor or whatever. And if Amazon is taking the money each month I don’t gave to explain how I magically had money for the bed or other thing that came up when I go to pay in a lump sum. It will be noticed and it will potentially become a new fight but I don’t think you’re wrong. 

9 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Your living room furniture is on a payment plan.
Your dh's classes are on a payment plan.
You're going to put a bed on a payment plan.

You're not letting yourself get ahead.  Putting $30/mo into a separate savings account seems silly to you, but 5 months builds a habit while purchasing something that is outright yours (and maybe finding a better deal in the meantime).  So you do it for 5 months.  You earn a wee bit of interest on it.  You think, on the sixth month, why not just do it for this month, too?  And the next month.  And then maybe again.  And if anything comes up, you don't have to worry about pulling out the credit card because you're not caught with nothing in savings.  And it's in your name, for the purpose of this bed, but then the habit develops and it's still in your name, so the next financial disagreement with your dh doesn't have to turn into a catastrophe.

That's why it's better.

Absolutely!!!!   ITA!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pen said:

?

My bed is 25 years old.   My son’s bed is also 25 years old and he really may need a new futon for it now. 

Beds don’t need to be bought every few years, nor necessarily go bad in a decade.

It’s actually older than 13 yrs. but not 20. Nowadays they do seem to need replaced more and warranty is usually 10 years. That’s my impression. We can try rotating etc but the firmness is not there and frankly I don’t feel like looking for plywood or whatever. The pediatrician said he needs a firm bed. That bed is not, and I don’t think plywood under it will make it so. We may wait til we see the pediatric orthopedic dr to figure out bed recommendations. 

He slept on the living room floor last night. Said it was comfortable. Guess he can keep sleeping there but dh stays up late watching tv and it irks me to no end having them up late watching tv. Let’s see... last night they started a Supernatural tv episode after midnight and we went to Mass early this morning. It was a nightmare, obviously. 

Regarding payment plans — He pays for each class as he takes it. He’s been using the debit card for that and text books as much as possible. It’s hardly a payment plan. $600 each class vs $1200 at the beginning of the summer. 

If you’re planning to get rid of his current bed why not have him sleep on floor in space where it is now

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

But if you are buying on a time plan, you are still in debt for that much, even if there’s no interest being charged for the delayed payments. 

And you don’t even know that it’s what would help his back. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pen said:

If you’re planning to get rid of his current bed why not have him sleep on floor in space where it is now

We could try. He’s got a shag carpet on wood in living room. I could lay down a rug or exercise mat in the bedroom. Wooden floor. I need to figure out how to dispose of old furniture though. We still have a box spring in our semi enclosed carport along with a broken queen spring coil futon. Dh supposedly had someone to help him haul it off. That was many months ago. Ugh. 

As for the eye dr I need to drive 2 hrs each way to go so it’s a gas cost plus bill and I’m recovering from a head injury so driving 2hrs is not on my mind. 

@FuzzyCatz re: sheets. Thank you, those look great. Our CA king sheets came from Target’s website. 

I’ll look into the book. Dh is placing a book order for me this week. Things got messed up so he wasn’t able to order books I requested months ago including one recommended here on sleep. When they fit in his library collections he can order and I check them out. 

Edited by heartlikealion

24 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I guess to me it was because he could be using the bed during that time... whereas if I’m squirreling away money he’s still sleeping on the living room floor or whatever. And if Amazon is taking the money each month I don’t gave to explain how I magically had money for the bed or other thing that came up when I go to pay in a lump sum. It will be noticed and it will potentially become a new fight but I don’t think you’re wrong. 

I wouldn't magically explain.  I'd be upfront about it so we can fight right now. "Dh, I'm opening a savings account and putting aside the money for a bed for ds, $30/mo, same as the monthly payment plan would be."  That's worth fighting for and doing it, if you're going to do a payment plan.

However, a kid liking to sleep on the living room floor or in the living room chair sounds like a television issue.  That's the first thing to tackle.  Sleeping in his room, ab exercises if needed, and bed when it comes down to it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I wouldn't magically explain.  I'd be upfront about it so we can fight right now. "Dh, I'm opening a savings account and putting aside the money for a bed for ds, $30/mo, same as the monthly payment plan would be."  That's worth fighting for and doing it, if you're going to do a payment plan.

However, a kid liking to sleep on the living room floor or in the living room chair sounds like a television issue. 

Or anxiety about being in his room?

That's the first thing to tackle.  Sleeping in his room, ab exercises if needed,

👍

and bed when it comes down to it.

11 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

We could try. He’s got a shag carpet on wood in living room. I could lay down a rug or exercise mat in the bedroom.

Exercise mat with blanket on top then sheet above that sounds like it would smooth smooth out the floor.  

11 yo boys sometimes have significant fears like of monsters in closets or under bed, but won’t say so because they know it’s not logical. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

The pediatrician said he needs a firm bed.

Definitely! Someone might have the plywood lying around if you just ask. Freecycle, just asking friends. It's the kind of thing people have just lying around and would cut for you and make happen for free. It might by you a month or two while you get the finances or even just a couple weeks while you get the bed.

I'm not sure how $30X5 or whatever gets you a new bed. I think you're looking at $450-ish.

Do any of your friends have an unused bed they would give you? Like maybe someone who has a dc in college who doesn't need it? People change things and sometimes the things aren't worn out. I'm with you that 13 is old and that it's probably worn. I get it. Just trying to think within your budget. Or Habitat for Humanity or a similar service? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

As for the eye dr I need to drive 2 hrs each way to go so it’s a gas cost plus bill and I’m recovering from a head injury so driving 2hrs is not on my mind. 

You might not feel up to it by then. It would be nice if you did, but you might not. You'll know when you get closer. Are there no good docs any closer if you make a change?? Is this a really hard to find specialist??

40 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

He slept on the living room floor last night.

Wow, his back must be really hurting! Well what you might try is putting the mattress he currently is on (the one with too much give) on the floor and see what happens. It might firm it up enough to help a dab. Is his pain while he's in the bed or once he gets up? Is it waking him up during the night? 

So if you put his current mattress on the floor in his room, he'd have no tv exposure. Honestly, I can't fathom what kind of man doesn't get his kid a bed. Just saying. Like if it's that bad, the father should be giving up anything optional and making it happen, mercy. And I agree, because of that, with you saying you have to start saving money. You're having these expenses over and over and living at the edge. So say you go into debt (debit, credit, it's debt) with this bed set, then you're going to be STRESSED with the next expense that comes along in a month! It will never end. That's where the savings would help. Debt, even with no interest, is still stressful. 

• Like 1

I am saying this as a mom of two kids with APD (one is severe)-  the eyes come first before the APD testing.  If when your card refills you don’t have money to do the eye appointments with glasses and the APD testing, the APD can wait.  He is being homeschooled next year so it is not an emergency to get the proper accommodations for a classroom setting ie an FM system.  The eyes are no matter what.  Put the APD testing on the calendar for a few months down the road.

Put the mattress on the floor of his room for now.  Save up for a bed.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pen said:

?

This is what my parents always did at my grandma's. It is worth a try! Or just sleep on the floor. That is what my teen is doing this summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

It’s actually older than 13 yrs. but not 20. Nowadays they do seem to need replaced more and warranty is usually 10 years. That’s my impression. We can try rotating etc but the firmness is not there and frankly I don’t feel like looking for plywood or whatever. The pediatrician said he needs a firm bed. That bed is not, and I don’t think plywood under it will make it so. We may wait til we see the pediatric orthopedic dr to figure out bed recommendations. 

He slept on the living room floor last night. Said it was comfortable. Guess he can keep sleeping there but dh stays up late watching tv and it irks me to no end having them up late watching tv. Let’s see... last night they started a Supernatural tv episode after midnight and we went to Mass early this morning. It was a nightmare, obviously. 

Regarding payment plans — He pays for each class as he takes it. He’s been using the debit card for that and text books as much as possible. It’s hardly a payment plan. $600 each class vs $1200 at the beginning of the summer. 

Shoot.  I have a firm twin IKEA mattress that no-one likes.  Wish you were closer, he could give it a try and I would give it to you.

• Like 2

Ok guys, I’ll remove his under bed bind and try the mattress on floor. 

As for money and logic, it’s not there. I’ve argued with dh umpteen times about these topics. The writing class Ds is taking in fall just added a requirement out of the blue. Literally emailed all parents yesterday that based on how class was this summer they’ve revised it for fall. I was like ?! I think the best option is the electronic pdf on this site. It’s Writing with Skill 1. Well it’s on sale now on this site and dh was like wait til after I get paid. End of month. Yesterday he did his monthly gaming event with his friend and this time both kids because I asked for a break from dd as my body heals. He came home and they had eaten out not once, but twice. It was his friend’s birthday so they went to eat with him at one place then later stopped for fast food. But they give you free drinks and pizza at these events so I don’t get it. I got invited to a ladies’ brunch next Sunday. He told me I can go because it’s after pay day. I’m always like really?? Can I afford to spend money on that while saying my kid needs to see the eye dr? We clearly do not think alike. 

The flex plan covered the hearing test last cycle. It’s taken a year or more for dh to agree to the test at all. It’s happening!! I’m not screwing that up. But yes, it doesn’t have to happen in Sept. I just want to do it then when I know the money is there. 

I can look again, as the COVD site does update doctors. But I know it’s hard to find the right kind of eye dr for the kids. Dd is the main concern. Ds could maybe get away with a regular optometrist but she gave both kids exercises to do and I like and trust her. Her son had the same issue as dd with the eye turn. Note I said “had.” I met him and he doesn’t even wear glasses.

Edited by heartlikealion
Underbed bins!! Not buns!
  • Like 1

nope dh thinks he has final say on money so that dynamic doesn’t work... 

He constantly moves money out of savings. I have no idea how much should be in ds’ folder anymore. I told my parents not to send money for him if it’s for savings. I said they can set it aside for him in their own account. We’ve had fights about separate accounts and I won’t elaborate a lot on this post. 

• Like 1

Oh I take that back. They told us to pay the hearing bill during the APD test. He went there for the hearing test in May? But they misquoted us, too so I will have to address the discrepancy and get a quote in writing this time. 

17 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

To answer the question how would payments be around $30? 

17AE1381-5C91-4442-8346-E58452AB5E72.png

Can you do 5 month payments on both?  That would be $38.80.

But the Memory Foam isn't firm is it?

Memory foam may need a more supportive base than that.

Even if it is a right sort of mattress for his back — which it may not be. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Can you do 5 month payments on both?  That would be $38.80.

But the Memory Foam isn't firm is it?

No, the payment plans only appear on certain items. I feel like I’m back to the drawing board. I will likely have to shell out substantially more money and buy from a furniture store. In the meantime I’ll try to accommodate him with what we have and tell him not to sleep in the oversized chair which he does sometimes. It’s not a recliner, it’s called a chair and a half. 

I’m not sure if I should reschedule the referral dr to Sept. 

To be clear I was not suggesting that eye sight only matters in a classroom setting but that if the urgency was seen due to b&m classroom setting that’s not applicable. As of the other night, dd popped her lenses out of her glasses and I’ve only found one. Next time maybe we’ll buy two pairs. But I digress. 

Last time we drove to see the audiologist dh drove. He will probably want to come to the APD appointment and possibly eye dr. I was just trying to be practical about how to fit them all in. I hate that drive. 

This is the child with asthma and allergies so I’m sure the old mattress is not good for those reasons. This also is why another used mattress does not seem ideal. 

Edited by heartlikealion
Typo

4 hours ago, Pen said:

?

Wow - no, mattresses are NOT supposed to be used that long. The dust mites alone...wow. No. 

Now if you mean the frame, yes, that's normal. But not the mattress!!! 

The Zinus memory foam mattress I have is not soft like you think of with memory foam...it's quite firm.