Menu

If you have all-white bedding, are you happy with it?

Ali in OR

We just got our first real bed frame (after 28 years of marriage!). It's a whiskey brown panel bed. We thought about going with a trendy upholstered bed, but watching what our cat does to our sofa, we thought the wood would hold up better. I think a white duvet cover and pillows/shams would look beautiful, but wondering if anyone regrets going that way. Said cat sleeps on our bed, sheds a bit of gray hair and the occasional whisker. May barf on the bed every couple of years. 8-9 months of the year we have a fleece blanket on top of the duvet and I guess that could be a pattern or color, but preferably not cat-barf-colored. Still, it's the easily-washable blanket that catches most cat detritus. Would we regret a white duvet cover?

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 1

I don’t regret white bedding, but don’t know for your situation— but keep in mind that white can be bleached.  Several animals get on the bed, but some black or other colored fur doesn’t bother me. 

we have iron in our water so our whites gradually become natural, tan, light rust...  bleach doesn’t work on iron— oxalic acid does but I’ve never bothered with it

one issue with white can be wall color— if walls are a different shade of white the whites can look nice together   Or one could make another look “off”.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

We just got our first real bed frame (after 28 years of marriage!). It's a whiskey brown panel bed. We thought about going with a trendy upholstered bed, but watching what our cat does to our sofa, we thought the wood would hold up better. I think a white duvet cover and pillows/shams would look beautiful, but wondering if anyone regrets going that way. Said cat sleeps on our bed, sheds a bit of gray hair and the occasional whisker. May barf on the bed every couple of years. 8-9 months of the year we have a fleece blanket on top of the duvet and I guess that could be a pattern or color, but preferably not cat-barf-colored. Still, it's the easily-washable blanket that catches most cat detritus. Would we regret a white duvet cover?

I have white with a small printed feature on it.  It hasn’t been that bad.  I probably have to wash it slightly more often but then if something is physically grimy I’d rather see that it needs washing and do it than have the dirt blend in and sleep under it unawares.  

• Like 1

I have white sheets on our bed, and white washable quilts on both ours and my daughters. Have never regretted it. I wash both covers regularly and only occasionally do they need bleach. We don't currently have pets, but I have lived with pets and my answer would be the same.

• Like 1

Why would you get any other color/print?? You're clearly washing pretty frequently and needing the convenience to remove stains, bleach occasionally, have other pieces intermatch if something gets ruined. I use all white/cream on my bed, and I keep super thick fleece blankets on just my side year round. I just went down to a double layer instead of my usual 4, haha. Love it, very practical. The blankets are the great color pop and the rest is all peacefully white/cream.

Fwiw, I have violet walls. Are your walls pale and that's why you're uncertain? I wouldn't do it with white walls, true. The white/cream is just really pretty contrasting with the violet of the walls.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1