Menu

Apollo 11 Anni Ideas

Anyone doing anything interesting for the upcoming anniversary of the moon landing?

Us, we’re reading a book, watching a film/docu, going to a library presentation, & will moon gaze that night (weather permitting).

Since my child’s into fake news, etc. it’d be nice to tie in something retro like that, so any ideas are welcome. 

Whatcha up to for this event?

9 hours ago, Earthmerlin said:

will moon gaze that night (weather permitting).

Unless your kids are used to staying up really late, you might want to do your moon gazing tonight or Thursday night. The moon rises quite a bit later each night, of course, and where I live, by Saturday the 20th the moon won't rise until around 11:11 pm local time, and takes a while to rise high enough for good viewing. (It will rise tonight where I live around 9:30 pm, tomorrow night around 10:07 pm, etc.) Here is a link you can use to look up the moon rise times where you live: https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/

Yesterday, July 16th, was the anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11, so just tell your kids we're celebrating the "anniversary week" of the overall mission. 😊

Our local astronomy club held a moon watching/star gazing party last weekend in honor of Apollo 11, scheduled to coincide with a more optimal moon rise time, so we went to that. We also watched the 3-part PBS series Chasing the Moon on Amazon. And also First Man, but that one might not be suitable for young kids.

Thought of another great film to watch - a documentary called In the Shadow of the Moon. EXCELLENT.

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1