Menu

looking for a "life proof" smartphone...

housemouse

My current 4S iPhone (that is almost 5 years old and in its originally purchased rubber otter case) has been sat on, stepped on, spilled on, dropped from 3-4 feet height on driveways, concrete floor, tile and wood floors and is still alive, not a scratch on it. Just getting a bit too slow. I need to get a smartphone that can handle that kind of real life usage- one for me and one for ds 16 who will be starting college classes this fall- neither one of us is super careful in handling the phones with out most care. That is why looking for a "life proof" phone. And preference is for small screen phone.

Thank you very much.

• Like 1

It’s the case that’s going to help you with that, not the phone itself. There is a case literally called Life Proof, which protects from water events and shattering. Otterbox type are usually pretty good, too. Spigen are good for shock and shattering protection, though I dont think they are waterproof. There is also a clear coat available that paints on like nail polish to protect the screen. That isn’t for the whole phone, though. 

I have an iphone 8, not a large screen, in a Speck case with a tempered glass screen protector. It is not waterproof, though. 

Edited by Quill
  • Like 6

Do you not want to just get a newer iPhone and otter box? iPhones 7 and up are supposed to be *mostly* waterproof. My iPhone 6 died when it fell in the toilet (I sometimes forget it in my back pocket). I replaced it with a 7 and, ridiculously, that one fell in the toilet too, 3 weeks after I got it. It was completely fine. 

• Like 1

I would just update your phone and get the same type of case for your new phone. I have an iPhone SE that’s almost 3 years old and have the Otterbox Commuter case and a tempered glass screen protector. My phone has been dropped and fallen many times and has no damage. It even fell about 12 feet from our stair ledge onto hardwood floor with no damage to the case or phone. 

• Like 2

I sparkly heart love otter box cases. I dropped my phone in the street while chasing a toddler. Gah. About 30 minutes later I realized it was gone. Found it, with tire tracks over the back of it, and the plastic part of the case broken, but the phone intact. 

I can't tell you how many times I have almost dropped the phone and while it's on its way down, I tried to catch it and accidentally throw it into a wall or something. My otterbox has saved my phone hundreds of times. 

Also, I am a klutz.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DesertBlossom said:

I sparkly heart love otter box cases. I dropped my phone in the street while chasing a toddler. Gah. About 30 minutes later I realized it was gone. Found it, with tire tracks over the back of it, and the plastic part of the case broken, but the phone intact. 

I can't tell you how many times I have almost dropped the phone and while it's on its way down, I tried to catch it and accidentally throw it into a wall or something. My otterbox has saved my phone hundreds of times. 

Also, I am a klutz.

This is me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I have a Life Proof case on my smart phone.  It is supposed to be waterproof, although I have not had occasion to test that.  However, I have dropped it many many times, and it escaped unscathed.

My parents tested their Life Proof cases. The first time you put the case on the phone, if you seal it well, it actually works.

I stopped using Life Proof on my phone because the case I had (for the 6s? I think) the case interfered with the "mute the phone button" such that I thought it was on but it was actually ticked over to off and the phone would not ring consistently when phones came in. 

Edited by vonfirmath