Menu

Self-paced math program recommendations

DS11 finished MM5 last year. He is good at math and I think could move through things quickly. But I am also trying to lighten my own personal load. Is there an online program that would teach him what he knows, let him skip what he already knows, and also keep track so I know what he's doing? Is that what Khan Academy does? We have happily stuck with MM for years because it works and have no personal experience with anything else. I did not plan to homeschool him this year but he is begging. 

The self paced apps PA is good.  Ds did MEP 7 which has an on line version at the end of 5th grade  MEP 7 doesn't assume you have done MEP before and reminded me a bit of the maths I did in the 1970's with lots of set theory etc.

Edited by kiwik

The reality is most math curriculum can be self teaching to the right student if the plan is for the student to do everything and have to convince you when they just want to do odds, or skip something.  My Dd ended up begging to have the number of problems reduced for one of the upper NEM courses because it was a huge number of repetitive problems. My dc’s basically self taught from 10ish by their own choice, we really didn’t factor in that they needed to self teach so we would get x curriculum..........mainly used what we knew NEM, Abeka, LoF until the MOOCs.  Personally I would have him continue for a year at least with the program you both know simply because that will be the easiest way for you to offer a bit of direction when needed and do spot checks.

Btw, Alek’s is a subscription based online system that is adaptive to the learner.  We had it via a free trial and my kids enjoyed it, we even paid so they could run through most of the classes as a review......end of high school timeframe. 

I think that MM can be very independent.  It is written with the instruction to the student right in the lesson.  If it's been working, I would stick with it.  Can you "lighten your load" in other subjects but still be available for math?  I've been gradually giving my kids more independence and responsibility with their schooling but math is one thing that I do think should be supported or at least very much supervised.