Menu

Credits question

My first post in the HS forum. Yikes! I hope it’s not a dumb question, and please direct me elsewhere if it’s been covered already. I’ve read the forum but couldn’t find this answer. Re: English/LA

Normally ‘English’ is one credit, correct? But if my 9th grader uses IEW’s SWI Level C and does a literature course (probably Essentials in Literature 9), wouldn’t this be two credits since they’re both full year texts?

IMO you need both lit and writing in a 9th grade course, so I'd still count it as one credit.  My current 9th grader is doing some lit and some writing everyday.  

Essentials in Literature is made to be done alongside Essentials in Writing, so both components used in the English course for 1 credit.  

• Like 1

Welcome to the "big board", LOL!

EiL has a LOT of writing in it, so I don't know as though you will need or want to also do IEW on top of it. Yes, if doing all, or most of, EiL, award 1.0 credit of English.

If your student still needs direct instruction in Writing, then the student is likely a weaker writer, and I would be very careful to not overload the student, but instead, do IEW, and every so often, set IEW aside and do a writing assignment out of EiL. And in that case, I would only award 1.0 credit for English.

If your student does all/most of EiL AND *also* does a large amount of, or all of, IEW, then I would award 1.0 credit of English (for the EiL), and at least partial credit in English: Composition for the IEW, based on hours spent on IEW. (Since English credits are heavy with time-intensive activities of reading and writing, many people go with 150-180 hours for awarding 1.0 credit to English -- for partial credit, that comes out to 75-90 hours for 0.5 credit, 50-60 hours for 0.33 credit, or 38-45 hours for 0.25 credit).

Totally just me, but if only using a portion of IEW and not all of EiL, even if the hours went a bit over the 180 hour maximum for 1.0 credit, I would still award it as 1.0 credit of English. Perhaps, if doing the Honors portion of EiL, consider calling it 1.0 credit of Honors English.

Just my thoughts. YMMV. BEST of luck as you start wearing your administrator hat! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 2

@Lori D. I think you are thinking of Excellence in Lit. OP's EiL is Essentials in Lit. OP's EiL is "lighter."

@mmasc Common question, but a good one! I'd monitor you kid's time for a few weeks to make sure you aren't overwhelming them time-wise, but usually English is a time-heavy credit. I would try to have half spent on writing & half on Lit.

Some of my kid's years were more writing-focused & some more literature-focused. I did give more than one credit the year my eldest did an online writing class plus a separate online lit class (plus other stuff at home).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

@Lori D. I think you are thinking of Excellence in Lit. OP's EiL is Essentials in Lit. OP's EiL is "lighter"...

::doh!:: [forehead smack] Yes, you are right RootAnn! Thank you for catching that for me.

Excellence in Lit. is writing heavy -- Essentials in Lit. is NOT heavy in writing, and in that case if doing both Essentials in Lit + IEW, I would only award 1.0 credit.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much! I do think my DS still needs direct writing instruction. He did Essentials in Writing and Essentials in Lit for 7th, but got tired of the same format and teacher for both. It was a good fit, he just got bored with it a bit. That’s why I thought we’d go with IEW for writing. (He went to public 8th...I don’t think his writing really progressed much there). 

I did look at Excellence in Lit, and it looks great, but I don’t think my DS is quite ready for it yet.

@Lori D. thanks for the welcome! I’ll admit, this is scary!😁

• Like 1

150-180 hours is typical for a credit. Sometimes you might spend a bit more on an English credit, but I wouldn’t give two full credits unless you are spending at least double that. I would monitor your student’s hours for a few weeks and see how it goes. You could cut back on the work if it’s too much for one credit. Welcome!

Edited by MerryAtHope
  • Like 2