Menu

Protecting mattresses

DesertBlossom

We have at least a couple children's twin mattresses that desperately need to be replaced. Every single mattress has a waterproof mattress protector on it, but leaks still happen. I don't know if I am just buying cheap mattress protectors, or if I expect to last through more washes than they are intended to, but between potty leaks and midnight pukes I find my mattresses aren't nearly as protected as I thought they were and moisture still makes it through to the mattress. 

Before I buy new mattresses, I need serious protection. Is wrapping them in plastic a realistic long term option?  I seriously need to know.

42 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yeah, we just use mattress condoms.  The serious waterproof membranes.  Some of my older kids still have occasional accidents and there is the random bedtime puke, too, so it’s a better option since mattresses aren’t cheap.

The really nice, waterproof allergy covers are what we use.

https://www.amazon.com/Tastelife-Queen-Waterproof-Mattress-Protector/dp/B0722WRYVB/ref=lp_10671064011_1_8?s=bedbath&ie=UTF8&qid=1563339030&sr=1-8

So you use a plastic cover underneath this mattress protector?

I can't seem to find a mattress cover that I love. But for potty training (or any leaks that happen regularly) I love the bed pads that are generally used for the elderly. They lay on top of the fitted sheet (or some have attached panels that tuck qround the bed) and can easily be removed, washed, replaced. I've never had one leak and they have protected my mattresses better than any mattress protector has.