Menu

Why is it “morally” wrong...

Garga

4 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

that is so bizarre cars are coming without a spare.  I'm in process of buying a new one - and it's a nice one, but it has surprised me it has a compact spare.  1dd bought a car in march - also a compact spare. (not sure about 2ds's car - I think compact?)  both things I thought "ick".  my current car came with a full size spare - but I can see the reasoning for the compact spare.

dh used to drive his miata leaving the spare in the garage - it took up the entire trunk.

If you decide to replace the donut, check to make sure the full size tire will fit in the same space. It fits (barely) in my Accord, but doesn't fit very well in my dd's Civic. The tire it too high to fit well. 

I wouldn't like it if I didn't have a spare. I had a flat after hitting a large rock that blew out the tire. I couldn't have repaired it and would have had to call a tow. I've driven places where there was no cell reception and would really be stuck if I couldn't put another tire on my car.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, shawthorne44 said:

I used to have a Miata.  They don't have a trunk.  They have a rear glove box. 

I have been driving a van for 30 years - I can put just about anything in it.  I love it.

dh is notorious for "oh, I just need to stop at ___ " to run some errand when we're on a date.  (big eye roll.).  well, we stopped at the hardware store and they had light fixtures on sale.  I needed five outside lights for an addition we were building.  I gleefully bought them - oh, it's the miata.  where am I supposed to put them?  managed to get two of the three boxes in the trunk (no spare tire), and I had to hold the other on my lap.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 9:28 PM, wilrunner said:

If you decide to replace the donut, check to make sure the full size tire will fit in the same space. It fits (barely) in my Accord, but doesn't fit very well in my dd's Civic. The tire it too high to fit well. 

I wouldn't like it if I didn't have a spare. I had a flat after hitting a large rock that blew out the tire. I couldn't have repaired it and would have had to call a tow. I've driven places where there was no cell reception and would really be stuck if I couldn't put another tire on my car.

I agree.

I have a friend with a minivan that left no spot for a spare so they rigged up a roof rack and drive around with a spare tied up there. 

• Like 1

So I have a confession. I’m a farm lady who has a mental machinery Hangup. My brain for whatever reason cannot Remember the steps to driving the tractor. Along with my dhs perfectionism about his equipment where in I was criticized and griped at when I tried to learn, I’ve never learned. 

So no I can’t drive a stick.

mock away boomers.

can you reposition and  pull a calf from a laboring cow?

can you milk by hand? With a machine?

can you vaccinate an animal?

can you trim sheep feet?

can you castrate cattle and sheep?

can you move a herd of cows, separate out the ones you need with out getting hurt? 

i can do a heck of a lot of things out here as long as long as it doesn’t involve machinery.

• Like 4

On 7/16/2019 at 2:55 PM, LMD said:

I just went looking for stats in Aus and we're around about 9/10 new cars autos, 1/10 new cars manual.

Wow, really? So you guys predominantly drive automatics in Australia? I always assumed it would be the opposite like in the U.K! 

I drive a manual. I prefer driving a manual over an automatic. My dh has a manual, and my oldest does as well (hand me down car). Youngest has an automatic, but she is learning to drive a manual. It's tricky when you take the car in for inspection or tire mounting as many workers do not know how to drive a manual. 

I don't think it is morally wrong to not know how to drive a manual. I view it more a useful skill. Many don't know how to start a fire without matches/lighters, but it is a useful skill. Many don't know how to sew, but it can be a useful skill - someone last week asked my dd to sew back on a button on a shirt, otherwise they would have to throw it away. There are lots of other skills that aren't needed for life today, but some of use still learn them. Nothing morally right/wrong with either knowing them or not, it is just a personal choice. 

6 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Nope, never used a milking machine--we always milked by hand!

Can you sort out a tangled set of triplet lambs? Now THAT takes skill and small hands! I'm the only one here who can. 

I can do twins. But none of our sheep ever had triplets.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:34 AM, Melissa in Australia said:

Here we have manual and automatic licences as well. A manual licence holder can drive both. An Automatic licence holder  can only drive an automatic.

Many jobs require a manual driver licence. so if you do not put the extra effort in to getting a manual licence it can limit your job options.

Same in Perth.  But not south Aus.  I can legally drive a manual even though I really can’t.

• Like 1

I can only hand milk as well.

I don't have a milking machine.  It isn't worth the hassle to clean with only one cow.

I can pull a calf, but have no experience with sheep at all. 2 of my DS can shear , crutch, dehorn, drench  and trim feet of sheep- they can also milk a whole heard of cows in dairies. That is because they have both spent time working on farms when in their teens.

17 hours ago, Mabelen said:

Wow, really? So you guys predominantly drive automatics in Australia? I always assumed it would be the opposite like in the U.K! 

well there is an awful lot of Australians who don't have a new car -  and have Manuals. I don't really know anyone who actually buys a brand new car. everyone I know buys second hand . We don't have the huge rust problems that people who have snow get.

Edited by Melissa in Australia