Menu

Why is it “morally” wrong...

Garga

...not to drive a stick shift?

I keep seeing memes making fun of youngish people because they can’t drive stick shifts.  One shows a picture of a stick shift car and reads, “Millennial anti-theft device.”  Or the one I saw today, “Everyone’s talking about hijacking UFOs, but can’t even drive a stick shift.”   And there’s an undercurrent of, “Stoopid Millenials!  Can’t drive a stick!  What a bunch of morons!”  

Why is not driving a stick treated as if it’s some sort of moral failing?  Why do people who drive sticks act superior because they can and make mean-spirited fun of people who can’t?

Sticks have some advantages, but automatics have advantages, too, so it’s not like the stick is universally superior—it’s a tradeoff.  We don’t need to debate that.  And it’s not like there are few automatics, so that people are languishing at home unable to drive themselves places because they're too incompetent to learn to drive a stick.  The overwhelming majority of us will never have any true *need* to ever drive a stick in our entire lives.

I’m just wondering why people who drive sticks treat people who don’t like they’re a bunch of blundering incompetents.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7

Just now, happysmileylady said:

As someone who cannot drive a stick shift....it's not "morally" wrong.  However, it has presented a problem in our house.  

The first week of July, DH was driving my van back from picking up a piece of furniture that we purchased from CL.  We had already brought some of it back, but needed to put the seats down in the van to bring the rest of it back and that meant no kids in the van.  So I was at home, he went to pick up the rest of the bed.  He was heading back, on the freeway, and my van just stopped.  He managed to coast to the side of the road so he wasn't in the middle of traffic but couldn't get it started again.  

He called me.  Um....I can't come get you.  I can't drive your car because it's a stick shift.  I couldn't even bring him a tool box so that he could poke around under the hood.  There was NOTHING I could do.

Ultimately the van had to be towed home.  It probably would have needed that anyway.  But because I couldn't come get him, he had to sit there WITH the van, for 2 hours, no AC, in the 95 degree heat on the side of the freeway until the tow truck could get there.  Had I been able to drive his car, I could have piled the kids in, come to get him and just left the keys for the tow truck to pick it up and bring it home.  Or at least, pick him up, get something to eat, then come back and wait in air conditioning.

Now, having said that, I *told* him not to buy a stick shift.  He did it anyway.  I *ASKED* him to teach me how to drive it.  He was even OFF work that first week of July.  He still hasn't taught me.  And because of my lack of skill in that particular task, he had to sit in the heat for 2 hours.  (btw, he still hasn't taught me. )

My dh has a stick as well and I also asked him not to buy it.  And when he had shoulder surgery, he couldn't drive his own car for a couple of months because it was a stick and he couldn’t drive a stick with the bum shoulder.  

So, for stories like yours and mine, that to me shows that the dogged stick shift owners might be the “morally” wrong ones.  (Said in a joking tone—they’re not morally wrong, I’m just playing off my own title of this tread for fun).  Like you, I’ve run into problems only because a person insists on getting a stick knowing there are people who can’t drive it.  I’ve tried learning a few times, when my dh half-heartedly tries to teach me (but is afraid I’ll strip the gears, so he doesn’t really want me to learn), and I’ve come to HATE stick shifts.  I mean, hate them.  I hate the whole rolling back on a hill thing, I hate the whole extra foot thing, I hate the whole having to have an extra hand thing.  In my personal opinion, stick shifts are not as safe as automatics because you have to monkey around with an extra pedal and lever while driving.  So I’ve decided for myself that I don’t feel like I’m as safe of a driver in one and I don’t like them.  

• Like 3

I think sticks are slightly cheaper to buy and they get better mileage, but to me it's purely a matter of personal preference. I learned to drive with a very temperamental stick shift and it was not fun! The first time I drove an automatic as an adult I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, and I've only ever owned automatics since. Neither of my kids know how to drive a stick, and I can't see it being much of an issue since very few people buy them any more.

To me it's no different from choosing an all-automatic camera versus one where you control the settings manually. If you enjoy having that level of control over your camera, by all means get one, but most people just want something they can point and shoot, the same way most people just want a car they can point and drive (and not have to perform dance moves every time they stop on a hill, lol).

• Like 5

I don't think it's anything to do with morality.  It's just funny.  If you know how to drive a stick you smile.  Memes are suppose to be light-hearted.  No reason for offense.  There's also an ad campaign that uses the anti-Theft phrase.  I can't remember what it's advertising at the moment.

I wish we had a stick so I could teach my kids but we don't.  My 25 yodd bought a stick shift last year and had a time learning to drive it!  She was ready to trade it in, left it sit at our house for a few weeks because she was so frustrated then made up her mind to learn and made fast progress. 

• Like 14

Lol.  No one at our house has ever known how to drive a stick well.  I drove a freind’s stick a few time in college but I was barely competent.   My husband and I are not young!  I don’t get why it’s a thing either.  I can’t imagine buying one. 

• Like 1

I don't think it's a moral failing - and I can drive a stick, and made my kids learn on a stick. (with one complaining up one side and down the other about how it's an anachronism too.)

it's a skill - that was much more common 50 years ago than now.  like 100 years ago, we would be using a wood stove, not gas or electric.  not many of us could use a wood stove for everyday cooking and *baking* today.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VaKim said:

To me it's like going back to a wringer washer instead of an automatic one. Or any number of things like that. 

That’s what I tell my dh. 🙂

The people who love driving them, certainly do LOVE driving them.  And that’s fine.  But I don’t know why they then turn around and are weird about the people who don’t.  As @Corraleno said, I use all the manual settings in my camera and I get a great deal of joy from being able to do that, but I don’t care one whit that other people aren’t interested in that and just point and shoot.  

3 minutes ago, JanOH said:

I don't think it's anything to do with morality.  It's just funny.  If you know how to drive a stick you smile.  Memes are suppose to be light-hearted.  No reason for offense.  There's also an ad campaign that uses the anti-Theft phrase.  I can't remember what it's advertising at the moment.

You do have a point that perhaps I’m reading more into it than is meant to be read.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

One thing that is interesting...

I can't change a tire either.  I mean....I have the actual knowledge of how.  I totally understand taking off the lug nuts, take off the tire, put the spare on, etc etc.  Problem is, I don't have the physical ability.  The last time I tried to actually accomplish the task, it took me FOUR HOURS.  In that time, DH could have driven home from work, changed it for me, and then driven back to work....probably in half that time actually lol.  

But there are no memes about not knowing how to change a tire.  

Yes, this. 

AAA membership is $96 annually. We have never had a year when we didn't use it at least twice. Completely worth it, for us.

• Like 7

in Europe sticks are more common than automatics.  1dd was roflol about her (uptight) boss having to go 40 MILES away from the *major airport* she flew in and out of to find a rental car that was an automatic.

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

in Europe sticks are more common than automatics.  1dd was roflol about her (uptight) boss having to go 40 MILES away from the *major airport* she flew in and out of to find a rental car that was an automatic.

I think that's unusual, rental car agencies, especially near airports, generally cater to tourists and have automatics available. I've rented cars in both England and France several times and never had any trouble getting an automatic. Sticks are a lot more common in general over there though, largely due to the price of petrol and the fact that they get better mileage. But I lived in Europe for 10 years and it was never an issue for either myself or DH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gardenmom5 said:

Why is that funny?  Was it really about the stick or was she just amused that an annoying person had the tables turned and had to deal with something that was annoying to that person?  

Because otherwise, it’s not roflol worthy that a person from a predominately automatic-driving country who can’t drive a stick had to go out of their way to find an automatic in a foreign country with different driving customs.  At most, I can see stick drivers thinking, “Shew! Glad that’s one hassle I won’t have to deal with!” But roflol?  What’s up with that?

• Like 8

It's supposedly better on gas mileage, maybe?  😛

I think the issue is that many people don't have that "let's figure this out" reaction when encountering something they don't know how to do.  Not sure if it's been proven that this is actually more prevalent than it was when my dad drove a stick.  Gotta go get my kids or I'd give it some more thought ....

37 minutes ago, Garga said:

...not to drive a stick shift?

I keep seeing memes making fun of youngish people because they can’t drive stick shifts.  One shows a picture of a stick shift car and reads, “Millennial anti-theft device.”  Or the one I saw today, “Everyone’s talking about hijacking UFOs, but can’t even drive a stick shift.”   And there’s an undercurrent of, “Stoopid Millenials!  Can’t drive a stick!  What a bunch of morons!”  

Why is not driving a stick treated as if it’s some sort of moral failing?  Why do people who drive sticks act superior because they can and make mean-spirited fun of people who can’t?

Sticks have some advantages, but automatics have advantages, too, so it’s not like the stick is universally superior—it’s a tradeoff.  We don’t need to debate that.  And it’s not like there are few automatics, so that people are languishing at home unable to drive themselves places because they're too incompetent to learn to drive a stick.  The overwhelming majority of us will never have any true *need* to ever drive a stick in our entire lives.

I’m just wondering why people who drive sticks treat people who don’t like they’re a bunch of blundering incompetents.  

I think it stems from an unacknowledged sense of inadequacy with respect to the ability to adapt to rapid pace of technological change. 

• Like 6

Interestingly from what my oldest tells me, only a small percentage of cars for sale in the US have manual transmissions these days. I want to say only 8% of all new cars. New car sales in Europe and Japan are 80% manual transmissions. Also, in Europe, your driver's license indicates whether you can drive a manual or automatic, so if you drive auto in Europe, you are not legal to drive a manual.

Edited by Mona
  • Like 2

Ugh, this annoys me.  My sister often posts those memes; she feels very superior to others because she can drive a stick.  And I can drive one, or a least I could when I last had a car with a manual transmission, about 20 years ago.  I don't think it's funny but in general I don't find memes/cartoons that mock people for things they can't do funny.  I think it's mean-spirited and petty, as is laughing at an individual who can't drive one.

I think a manual is more fun, and I think it's convenient for people to be able to drive any car they may encounter.  Before I learned, it was sometimes inconvenient when I couldn't drive a friend's car.  I don't believe there is a gas mileage benefit over automatics anymore, and overall they are not cheaper than automatics - when we were looking for a new car about 4  years ago we thought about getting a manual and we found those old truths about sticks were no longer valid.  Somewhere I read/heard (don't remember) that they are now considered performance vehicles in the US and thus may be more expensive to insure. I am not sure about that though. 

If we had access to a car with a stick, I would teach my kids. But we don't, so that's that.  Maybe someday they will learn (I was 28 or so, I think.)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

I think it is meant as tongue in cheek humor.     

I find it hillarious how many men of my generation cannot drive stick.  Not because they can't, but because the reason I was taught was because a slightly older generation thought that young men favored manual transmissions and they didn't want me to be stuck if a date had too much to drink.   

I don't think that any of those memes are saying that it is morally wrong not to know how to drive a car with a manual transmission. I think the point they are making that those who can't are inept or dumb or inexperienced, but not morally wrong. I also think the point of memes is that you aren't really supposed to take them too seriously.

I also think it's a joke. And, I think it's partly a response to some people's vehement protests that learning to drive a stick is just so hard, impossible, why would anyone etc. Of all the things that humans can learn to do, it ain't that hard.

I see the computer use analogy the opposite way, it's like autos = just show me how to turn it on and send emails the rest is too hard and I'll call my grandkids, manuals = I can get on any computer or device and figure out how to do what I need to do. 

I love driving stick shift (we call them manuals here). I feel like I'm a safer driver in a manual, because you have to be more in tune with what the car is doing. Automatics are so boring to drive that I feel my mind start to wander... 😄

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Skippy said:

I don't think that any of those memes are saying that it is morally wrong not to know how to drive a car with a manual transmission. I think the point they are making that those who can't are inept or dumb or inexperienced, but not morally wrong. I also think the point of memes is that you aren't really supposed to take them too seriously.

I think the OP's wording (about morality) was tongue-in-cheek and her actual question was exactly what you commented — why should people be mocked as inept or dumb for lacking a skill that's practically obsolete? 

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 5

I was trying to look up what percentage of cars sold in the US are stick shifts.  Several articles said 2%.  One said around 7%,.  I am not sure which is correct, but one thing is for sure, there aren't very many!

We have always had a stick.  When I married DH I had an Acura Integra stick, then I got a Saturn SC2 stick, then a Saturn VUE stick, and now a Mini Cooper R57 stick.  But we also have automatic transmissions.

It is just a personal preference.  Growing up overseas, you couldn't get an automatic.  So driving a stick shift was a must.  My dad always told me I should learn because if I ever needed to drive overseas I may need to know how to do it.  So I did, but not until after college, living in LA, when I just up and bought one.  And that forced me to learn to drive it.

But def. not ok to shame others who have chosen not too.  It isn't THAT important.

I think that must be fairly local to you. Around here, the ability to drive stick is quite unusual -- just one of those vaguely admirable extra skills that might come in handy from time to time. Nobody is mocking or insulting people over it in my neck of the woods.

Back in the day, there was strong prejudice in the UK against automatics. They used a lot more petrol, which had environmental consequences and, given UK petrol prices, was unaffordable. Design has improved now, so the difference is not so great. 

It's still the case that if you pass the driving test in an automatic, you aren't licensed for a manual. 

• Like 3

I think it’s one more thing meant to bash the younger generation. Just like when people derisively say it’s the “participation trophy” generation. Well who gave those kids the dang trophies??? 

I learned to drive on a stick and I’m pleased that I am able to, but I don’t think it makes me superior. I also have no occasion to do it practically ever. If I were called upon to drive one in an emergency, I could probably muster up the ability from the coffers of my ancient brain, but it would be a close thing. I would much rather drive an automatic; the only thing I find manual good for is keeping me awake on a late drive. 

I do think it’s handy to know how because it’s just one more versatility that might come in handy, same as, say, knowing how to work a sewing machine or a weed-eater. But not a moral failing if you haven’t learned. 

• Like 5

I have never needed to drive a stick. 

My husband had one occasion he found himself in a tiny pickle. The church youth group was doing a car wash that involved adults moving the cars around. Dh jumped into move one and it was a stick and he had to get out and ask someone else to do it. We are both 45 yo so that is one time it has come up for both of us combined.

My oldest college kid took a job valet parking and quickly learned how to do it. Said it was no big deal. 

We don’t change tires either. We have AAA. Dh can do it and has done it but we tell our boys to call AAA. Although, one did change one once. He said he learned from Pam on The Office. So I guess in a jam we’d YouTube...or watch The Office.

We totally get laughed at when we admit we don’t do these things. Don’t change our own oil either. Walmart service center is cheap enough for us. To each their own.

• Like 1

Most of the stats I've seen say that only 2% of new cars sold in the US in 2018 were stick, compared to 5% in 2016 and 25% in the late 80s. Less than 4% of used cars sold through Car Max last year were stick. Only 20% of new cars are even available with manual transmission, and 82% of all US drivers don't know how to drive one. So a stick shift is an "anti-theft device" for the vast majority of US drivers, not just millennials. I think some people just look for any excuse to rag on millennials. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's not wrong and in our area you can hardly find a stick shift for sale, especially for new cars.

I learned on a stick shift so it's easy for me and I have taught people how to do it.  If it's an already experienced driver it's a piece of cake to learn.   I think most people can have it down in an hour and then just take a week or two to get fully adjusted.

I was in dh car yesterday and he no longer drives a stick shift but I kept trying to change gears! LOL

I guess there's always somone to make fun of.  In other countries people have automatically assumed I could not drive a stick shift because I'm Americaan, specifically an American woman.  Not sure where that myth comes from but it does exist.

I learned how to drive a stick a few years ago in the cutest little yellow Miata!  Loved that car!  It felt like a real accomplishment to get to the point that I could get up and over a hill with a stop sign without worrying about bumping into the car behind me. I may actually feel a little “moral” superiority about that... haha.. but I’m not posting about it on Facebook. Driving a manual is a skill that I have that not everyone has, maybe akin to knowing how to sew or bake bread - something “kids these days” may not know how to do.  But my kids make fun of me for not knowing what Marco Polo is it how to do Snapchat, so....

Knowing how to drive a stick allowed me to travel around Denmark with my dd in a rental with a stick shift. I could not find any automatic rentals when we were traveling there a couple years ago - they were available in theory online, but not actually available to rent. In my experience, you can’t count on renting an automatic when traveling in Europe. 

• Like 3

Yeah, my mom told the story of why she was well into her 20s before she got her driver's license.  My dad "tried to teach her," but he only had a stick shift car, and as it is a bit complicated for a non-driver, my mom made mistakes, which, according to her, my dad criticized more than she wanted to be criticized.  So she gave up.  (I can picture her colorful language as she informed him he need not give her any more lessons, LOL.)  Later she learned very easily on an automatic.

For a long time, my dad drove a stick because he preferred it, and my mom drove an automatic because she preferred that.  My mom taught us all to drive, naturally in her automatic.

My dad once tried to explain to me how to drive a stick, as he was going into a "semester is over" party for a brief time (I was underaged and not interested in drinking).  I would have done my best, but ultimately he was fine to drive home, and that was the last time anyone offered to teach me how to drive a manual.  And I am OK with that.

One of my housemates is from a country where, when she moved here at least, everyone drove manual.  She likes a manual, but she admits that automatic is much nicer on hills, so she has always bought automatic here in the states.  I do think she feels a little proud of knowing how to drive a stick.  That said, there are quite a few things I can do that she can't.  So I don't think it really says anything about a person's worth.  😛

2 hours ago, Garga said:

Why is that funny?  Was it really about the stick or was she just amused that an annoying person had the tables turned and had to deal with something that was annoying to that person?  

Because otherwise, it’s not roflol worthy that a person from a predominately automatic-driving country who can’t drive a stick had to go out of their way to find an automatic in a foreign country with different driving customs.  At most, I can see stick drivers thinking, “Shew! Glad that’s one hassle I won’t have to deal with!” But roflol?  What’s up with that?

you'd have to know her boss.  lets just say - she's not a nice person. she expects to be waited on hand and foot, and treats everyone beneath her with disdain, and as if they don't know anything.   there was zero sympathy. 

eta: she treats their vendors/merchants with disdain too.  dd ends up having to run interference so the vendors (upon whom they depend) don't cancel their contracts.  as dd has pointed out to her boss, with one vendor in particular - they need the vendor, more than the vendor needs them.

Edited by gardenmom5
grammar

I can't and I'm not a millennial. I have realized that it's a massive disadvantage in other countries though. Renting cars abroad, dh always has to drive. And there's always a moment pulling out of the parking lot with the rental where it stalls out like three times as he remembers how and the rental people just look at us aghast. Sigh.

I know it's lighthearted, but it's also mocking. If generations were generally nice to each other, then "millennial anti-theft device" would be mildly amusing. But Boomers are downright nasty to Millennials. And Millennials, in turn, have their own anti-Boomer memes (anyone seen that Facebook group where Millennials all pretend to be Boomers?) and are pretty well convinced Boomers ruined the world. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, SKL said:

Yeah, my mom told the story of why she was well into her 20s before she got her driver's license.  My dad "tried to teach her," but he only had a stick shift car, and as it is a bit complicated for a non-driver, my mom made mistakes, which, according to her, my dad criticized more than she wanted to be criticized.  So she gave up.  (I can picture her colorful language as she informed him he need not give her any more lessons, LOL.)  Later she learned very easily on an automatic.

my mother took me out on the streets before I was comfortable shifting... got me up to third, then I had to downshift for an "s" curve.  I killed the engine.

I spent a lot of time in a parking lot learning the "point" for the gas and the clutch.

So far we haven't had trouble renting whatever kind of car we waned while traveling.  Granted, we don't always drive when we travel, but we've rented cars in many places.  For us the hardest thing is that mental switch between driving on the right / left sides of the road.  That is downright dangerous.

Yet another excuse to bash millennials...

I've had four men each spend an hour or so teaching me to drive a manual (driver's ed instructor, my uncle, a boyfriend, and my DH while we were dating). The first three were over-the-top critical and laughing at my completely normal mistakes and frustrations. Only DH was kind and gentle about it (gee, wonder why I married him). Anyway, I'm overall kind of allergic to manuals after that. And I'm really glad DH sold his last year and bought an automatic, because I was able to drive his car after my accident a couple months ago.

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

I think the OP's wording (about morality) was tongue-in-cheek and her actual question was exactly what you commented — why should people be mocked as inept or dumb for lacking a skill that's practically obsolete? 

I think it is just meant to be a harmless joke. I think people are too sensitive now, get offended too easily, and take themselves too seriously. How can there be any comedians if even this type of stuff is out of bounds? As someone else said, it can be fun for the generations to tease each other - younger folks don't know how to use a rotary phone or a manual transmission and older folks don't get modern technology. Those memes are nowhere close to implying a moral failing. It's just a joke, like watching a video of teenagers trying to use a rotary phone. Yes, it is obsolete, but it is fun for old folks to watch them try to figure it out. Getting offended by this stuff is really what persecution looks like in the first world.

• Like 5

Not a moral failing.  Just a way for us insecure people to feel superior those who prefer the ease and mindlessness of an automatic.  😁  Dh loves driving a manual transmission and, for most of our marriage, we have had one manual transmission car.  Dh likes to feel like he is a race car driver rather than a boring suburban dad.  I don't mind driving a stick, unless I am in bumper to bumper traffic (leg cramp anyone?) or when I was pregnant (5th gear was a pain to reach for.) 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I don't mind driving a stick, unless I am in bumper to bumper traffic (leg cramp anyone?) or when I was pregnant (5th gear was a pain to reach for.) 

Going uphill on the denny regrade in Seattle. 

I learned how to use my hand parking brake so my left foot was free for the clutch.  

I. Do. Not. Miss. That. 

3 hours ago, Mona said:

Also, in Europe, your driver's license indicates whether you can drive a manual or automatic, so if you drive auto in Europe, you are not legal to drive a manual.

Only one or other?

not both?

4 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Going uphill on the denny regrade in Seattle. 

I learned how to use my hand parking brake so my left foot was free for the clutch.  

I. Do. Not. Miss. That. 

Except in a few bad situations like that, I prefer stick shift manual transmission— but I’ve used automatic since having health issues.  Automatic certainly takes less body involvement.

There are a couple hills where I’ve had automatic transmission vehicles start slipping and used manual type techniques .  

Here we have manual and automatic licences as well. A manual licence holder can drive both. An Automatic licence holder  can only drive an automatic.

Many jobs require a manual driver licence. so if you do not put the extra effort in to getting a manual licence it can limit your job options.

Edited by Melissa in Australia
spelling
  • Like 3

The memes are just meant to be silly.

I suppose the larger context is about the idea that it's an obsolete skill.  Lot's of people think it's a better way to drive, overall, for one (specific situations notwithstanding.)  But I think many also see it as an expression of a larger social attitude that says what is, on the surface, easier, is therefore better or more advanced, or a lack of appreciation for learning a skill, in this case one that means you have more understanding of how the car works, including automatic cars.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Pen said:

Except in a few bad situations like that, I prefer stick shift manual transmission— but I’ve used automatic since having health issues.  Automatic certainly takes less body involvement.

There are a couple hills where I’ve had automatic transmission vehicles start slipping and used manual type techniques .  

I like sticks.  I've had fun driving them.  Had one,  that was horrible  - but it was a super cheap car.

However, some cars, really do handle better with an automatic 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marbel said:

If we had access to a car with a stick, I would teach my kids. But we don't, so that's that.  Maybe someday they will learn (I was 28 or so, I think.)

yeah -1ds totaled our last stick...  (to which 2dd - who drove it all through grad school - exclaimed "you mean that was all I had to do?!?!?"  yeah -it had to be replaced.)

I'm really tempted to go find one just to teach dudeling how to drive.  he's not going to be driving my new(to me) car any time soon.  but the way he's going - he's not going to be driving anytime soon either.

My first car was a stick shift. My dad had to drive it home for me😳 I have to say I loved driving that car. After I married, we sold it, DH grew up on a farm, all machinery was manual, so he was over it. We did buy a 2002 Honda Accord with a stick shift. I drove it until just a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I never taught my daughters🙁I tried but my poor clutch🙄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I'd be willing to bet that many of the boomers complaining about these useless millennials who can't drive a stick are the same people calling their kids or grandkids for help with their computers and cable TV.

Now, see, I don't think that stereotype is any more helpful or kind-hearted than the one that Garga is calling out.

I'm a boomer, just barely. (I refer to myself as being in the echo of the baby boom.) I love my stick shift . . . love it. I flatly refuse to purchase a car with an automatic transmission, because, to me, a stick is significantly more fun to drive and gives me a lot more control. As someone else mentioned, for me, driving an automatic is so un-involving that I tend to zone out. Also, since I tend to drive teeny, under-powered cars, I like the additional pick-up I get from the manual transmission.

I also teach and write technology training classes and happen to be the one my millenial offspring call when they need help with their computers.

It seems to me that perpetuating this kind of false dichotomy is pretty much like the sour-grape-ish suggestion that attractive blondes must be dumb.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, JanOH said:

I don't think it's anything to do with morality.  It's just funny.  If you know how to drive a stick you smile.  Memes are suppose to be light-hearted.  No reason for offense.  

5 hours ago, Garga said:

You do have a point that perhaps I’m reading more into it than is meant to be read.  

To me, it's no more offensive than those videos where they show kids out-dated technology and challenge them to figure out what it is for.

(By the way, I insisted that both of my kids learn to drive on a manual transmission, because I knew they were unlikely to ever learn if they started on an automatic. My now-21-year-old son then inherited my old car -- a stick shift -- when he got his license. So I am well aware that millenials not being able to drive stick is a silly stereotype just like a ton of others.)

• Like 2

I keep thinking about this, and here's where I am coming from on it:

I don't consider it a "moral failing" not to be able to drive a stick shift. I am, however, at the very least bemused by the general lack of interest/ability I see in a lot of people (of varying ages) in being able to do things for themselves or to learn to do so. In my heart of hearts, I think I am concerned or unhappy about what seems to me to be an increasing reliance on some combination of technology and "professionals" to do what I consider normal life stuff. And one way to cope with those feelings is to use humor.

My response when I bump up against something I don't know how to do is to figure out how to do it, when possible. I pretty much walk into every situation saying some variation of, "It can't be that hard, right?" And I have been happy to see that both of my kids seem to have absorbed that attitude and to enjoy adding new skills to their repertoires as they move about the world. I'm proud to have raised young adults who are coping and resilient and able to handle whatever life throws at them. 

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 8