Menu

What's with the ads?

BakersDozen

Sherlock Holmes/Forensic Science match up

I could really use help with a list of Sherlock Holmes books that would correspond with topics I will cover in Forensic Science next semester. I will admit I have only read one SH when I was young so am definitely not savvy as to content. The course will span 16 weeks and will include:

Bones/Bodies
Entymology (yes, this one will be gross)
Soil Analysis
Tracks/Prints
Hair
Fibers
Glass/Plastic shards and patterns
Fingerprints
Blood
Tears/Tool marks
Chromatography
Urine
Unknown Powders
Gunshot
Dental/Lips/Nose
Forgery

You could also look at the Dr. Thorndyke novels/short stories by R. Austin Freeman.  They would pair beautifully with a forensic science class (and often get more "scientific" than SH.)  

Oh my goodness, you all are brilliant!  My dc would love a forensic science course!  Have you used a regular high school textbook for this, or just pulled it together yourselves?  

Have you used a regular high school textbook for this, or just pulled it together yourselves?

I am basing my class on this book: https://www.amazon.com/Crime-Scene-Investigations-Real-Life-Science/dp/0787966304/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1CF81V8C0F64Z&keywords=crime+scene+investigations+real-life+science+labs+for+grades+6-12&qid=1564529955&s=gateway&sprefix=crime+scene+inves%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-1

I am also using the Illustrated Guide to Home Forensics for more in-depth labs/explanation for those students desiring to take things a step further. So far I have 15 weeks of solid lab-only work which will hopefully be oodles of fun! I have had a whale of a good time tracking down some odd items (fetal/child skeleton models, blood spatter prints).

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 4:34 PM, Emerald Stoker said:

Fun! One of mine read The Scientific Sherlock Holmes (by James O'Brien) and enjoyed it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0190670916/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

This looks interesting.  I have a question for you all, though.  On the cover, it says "forensics," rather than "forensic science."  I've never heard "forensics" used before in relation to forensic science, but rather in relation to speech and debate.  Is this usage common?