Menu

What's with the ads?

gardenmom5

moving a car?

anyone have a suggestion for moving a car from one state to another?  (without it costing a small fortune?)

• Like 1

Other than by train? Find someone going there anyway (student?) and pay them to drive? Pay someone to drive it, then fly them back? What have you looked into already that costs too much?

We've used hauling companies when we've purchases used cars out of state.   It's a about $1 a mile.  Maybe a local dealership can help you find someone.   ETA:  That's always been an open hauling trailer and not enclosed. 

Edited by Starfish
more info

I am assuming that it is only the car and not a household, because it could go inside a moving van, if a household was being moved.  Many years ago, there were companies, Auto Driveaway or something like that, where the owners of a car wanted/needed to get them relocated,  and they paid the company, and the company tried to match the car with someone who wanted to go to that place in a car. I wonder if those companies still exist?

Paying $1 a mile as someone upthread mentioned is probably a reasonable cost if they are hauling a car on a trailer, because their fuel consumption is going to be high doing that.

Driving it there and then flying back is another option.

Approximate one way distance? Are both cities  located near large airports?

We rented a trailer and pulled it behind our camper when we picked up a car from a relative to transport to a different state.  The car couldn't be driven at that time.  I think the trailer was maybe a little over a hundred dollars to rent.  I can ask my husband.

I don't know what the cost is but my step-father used to drive cars from PA to FL for the snowbirds. They would pay him to drive the car down & then a one-way plane ticket home.

We moved two cars from upstate NY to southeast FL six or seven years ago using a car carrier trucking service.  It was called Magic Carpet Auto Transport.  Total cost was cheaper than I thought.  Maybe $600 each?  

Be sure to turn off any Easy-Pass or toll thing.  

• Like 2