Menu

California Homeschool Public Charter Info

I am trying to decide what public school charter to use for my kids who will be in 5th and 7th grade. There are so many choices available and not all the information I need to make a decision is readily available by looking online at the website of each school. I am going through and making a chart detailing how much money in instructional funds are given each semester, if there is a curriculum library available, is a chrome book given out, feedback on EF, etc. Is there an advantage with going to the one that is closest to the house for testing purposes? The ones I am looking at are:

iLead

Inspire

Golden Valley

Sage Oak

Compass

Is there a website or previous post that has current information on charters? I tried searching but just found bits and pieces of info and not all the info is current.

This might be a question directed to your local homeschooling group.  I homeschooled in California, using a charter part of the time, but not one of the ones you listed (Ocean Grove).  You'll get a better sense of the pros and cons by finding locals who are enrolled.  (Another good question to ask:  how much money are you allocated for each student?)  There's a FB group called "CA Homeschool College Seekers" which is dominated by charter school parents.  Good luck!  

It doesn't matter about location, since they'll have remote testing locations available.  The best fit totally depends on why you're choosing a nonclassroom-based charter over private homeschooling.  I'd make a prioritized list of things you need from the charter school and just make some phone calls.  Then among the schools that fit the bill, choose the one whose charter renewal date is the farthest out. 

Edited by shinyhappypeople
  • Like 1

I thought charters were location based so I think it does matter where you live. Our charter, Ocean Grove, is part of a larger umbrella school but they have like three different schools for different locations throughout the state. I would start by finding out what is available for your county and go from there. Then you can start comparing schools. Do your kids have any activities they like or that they want to start? You could check to see if the vendor is part of the charter school’s approved list and how hard it would be to get the vendor you want enrolled. Where I live there are only two schools that parents seem to use so finding out your options might make it easier. If you know anyone using them it can help you get a feel for the differences. 

• Like 1

We’ve been with Inspire before, and I’m moving my kids back there for the upcoming school year. They are pretty easy to deal with. I have a friend with Sage Oak, and from what she says they are a little bit tighter with what you can purchase with funds. I’ve heard great things about iLead. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those 3. 

Are you in SoCal, by any chance? I recognize all but one of those charters from living in that area. If so, there’s a Facebook group called something like So Cal Homeschool Charter School Info Group that has the information you are seeking.

10 hours ago, mamakelly said:

We’ve been with Inspire before, and I’m moving my kids back there for the upcoming school year. They are pretty easy to deal with. I have a friend with Sage Oak, and from what she says they are a little bit tighter with what you can purchase with funds. I’ve heard great things about iLead. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those 3. 

Thanks for this info. Today I spent a long time looking at the Inspire and Sage Oak websites. Do you know when you can start accessing funds once you enroll in Inspire? Do you have to wait until the first day of school, August 20th, to start ordering? It seems like the material wouldn't come until a month after school starts.

On 7/14/2019 at 6:16 PM, daijobu said:

This might be a question directed to your local homeschooling group.  I homeschooled in California, using a charter part of the time, but not one of the ones you listed (Ocean Grove).  You'll get a better sense of the pros and cons by finding locals who are enrolled.  (Another good question to ask:  how much money are you allocated for each student?)  There's a FB group called "CA Homeschool College Seekers" which is dominated by charter school parents.  Good luck!  

Since I haven't homeschooled I don't know anyone local who currently homeschools. I haven't even gotten as far as finding a local homeschool group. have met several homeschooling families in the past whose kids have been in the same activities as my kids but I didn't keep in contact with them. I will check out the Facebook group. 

53 minutes ago, Jackie said:

Are you in SoCal, by any chance? I recognize all but one of those charters from living in that area. If so, there’s a Facebook group called something like So Cal Homeschool Charter School Info Group that has the information you are seeking.

I am in SoCal. I will try to find that group. 

What part of So Cal? There are tons of city specific groups on FB. I already have access to my kids funds and can place orders, and they are new this year. I just registered my son 1.5 weeks ago. If you want to go with Inspire, enroll right away. They are changing rules and will no longer be allowing orders for season passes after July 31. After Aug 1 you can only use funds for tickets, no passes.

16 minutes ago, mamakelly said:

What part of So Cal? There are tons of city specific groups on FB. I already have access to my kids funds and can place orders, and they are new this year. I just registered my son 1.5 weeks ago. If you want to go with Inspire, enroll right away. They are changing rules and will no longer be allowing orders for season passes after July 31. After Aug 1 you can only use funds for tickets, no passes.

Thanks! I am not sure what kind of season passes you mean. Like a season pass to a zoo or aquarium? 

I'm with iLead. From my experience, the EF's are very kind and knowledgeable.  I have never had problems submitting PO's for classes and curriculum.  I like that curriculum is shipped directly to me, rather than my EF first.  It makes receiving our curriculum happen very fast.  One of my kids has speech therapy through iLead and they have been great with that too.  I used to be with Sage Oak, but I found once my kids hit high school they were far too restrictive.  iLead has been wonderful for us.