Menu

What's with the ads?

I need to get couple of Chromebooks for next year. The price point is very appealing to me and given my past unpleasant experiences with PCs, i want to stay away from the latter.

Any recommendations?

i am thinking about this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J42JPJG/?coliid=IOJEDWUWMQ3ZB&colid=2GRG3YFWDTCL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Like 1

I've had my Acer Chromebook for over three years now and I still puffy heart love it. It does everything I need a laptop to do. It's simple and hassle free (unlike the Windows computers I've had). Battery life was awesome when it was new and is still very good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had an Acer as well and it was very good to me.  I got a hand me down Macbook Air which of course I love MUCH more, but for the price the Acer was awesome. 

• Thanks 1

I just checked our Amazon order for my kid's Acer Chromebook 14; we bought it almost exactly 3 years ago.  His only complaint has been with papers for school - when converting from a google doc to .pdf or .docx, some of the formatting gets messed up. So he is considering whether or not he needs a windows laptop for school in the fall.  (He had been using the chromebook while at community college but he would also use the home desktop; he's going away to school next semester.)

No idea if that is a possible issue for you, just mentioning it as the only drawback he has found.

I kinda hope her gets a new PC; I want the Chromebook.  I don't have any need for one; I just want it.  🙂

• Thanks 1

I think we should be OK with formatting issues, but thank you for pointing this out. I have been wondering how Google Docs comptes with word. 

Can he save Google Docs file on UBS drive? 

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I've had my Acer Chromebook for over three years now and I still puffy heart love it. It does everything I need a laptop to do. It's simple and hassle free (unlike the Windows computers I've had). Battery life was awesome when it was new and is still very good.

42 minutes ago, marbel said:

I just checked our Amazon order for my kid's Acer Chromebook 14; we bought it almost exactly 3 years ago.  His only complaint has been with papers for school - when converting from a google doc to .pdf or .docx, some of the formatting gets messed up. So he is considering whether or not he needs a windows laptop for school in the fall.  (He had been using the chromebook while at community college but he would also use the home desktop; he's going away to school next semester.)

No idea if that is a possible issue for you, just mentioning it as the only drawback he has found.

I kinda hope her gets a new PC; I want the Chromebook.  I don't have any need for one; I just want it.  🙂

(Sorry to butt in, roadrunner) Would one be able to download software such as OfficeLibre onto this Acer, you think? 

Does it have a thumb drive port? Sorry if these are the most idiotic of questions...

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

(Sorry to butt in, roadrunner) Would one be able to download software such as OfficeLibre onto this Acer, you think? 

Does it have a thumb drive port? Sorry if these are the most idiotic of questions...

I have been researching this myself and it looks like those Chromebooks who support Linux can download OfficeLibre (whatever all that means I don’t know 🤔)

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/02/06/best-linux-apps-chrome-os/

now if i could figure out if my chosen Chromebooks is capable of it, I might just push a buy button. 

Found another article that explains how to do it

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3314739/how-to-use-linux-apps-on-chrome-os.html

Edited by Roadrunner

With regard to the ACER brand. I think this was 3 or 4 years ago. My wife bought a very low end Acer (Windows) Laptop for her DIL to carry around in her backpack all day so she would have it available for classes at night. I was skeptical of the ACER brand, but, as far as I know, it is still working well. I haven't heard any complaints.

About the ability for a Chromebook to Download Applications such as LibreOffice.  I suspect there are Chromebooks that can do that now. They would need at a minimum on-board storage and an OS (Operating System) that can run the Application. If one needs to do that, one needs to *carefully* research the ability of any given Chromebook to be able to do that.

A possible alternative to using LibreOffice or Google Drive, etc., might be to use the Free version of Office Online from Microsoft, which would eliminate any possibility of compatibility issues.  I use that for critical documents.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lanny said:

About the ability for a Chromebook to Download Applications such as LibreOffice.  I suspect there are Chromebooks that can do that now. They would need at a minimum on-board storage and an OS (Operating System) that can run the Application. If one needs to do that, one needs to *carefully* research the ability of any given Chromebook to be able to do that.

How do I do that? The one I linked in the first post is supposedly a newer version. I thought all newer versions can support Linux and therefore officelibre. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madteaparty said:

Ah... I have no idea. All my chromebook  knowledge was encapsulated in my post.  🙂   

• Thanks 1

Just now, Roadrunner said:

How do I do that? The one I linked in the first post is supposedly a newer version. I thought all newer versions can support Linux and therefore officelibre. 

I am not sure how you can do that, because we have never had a Chromebook or seriously considered purchasing one.  LibreOffice is, I believe, the Free Office Suite I have installed on this Dell Laptop, which was a Windows Laptop for most of the years, but is now running MX Linux.   Yes. I have now confirmed that LibreOffice is the Office Suite Application that was included when I installed MX Linux on this box.

NOTE: I just Googled OfficeLibre and the first result is for LibreOffice.

I don't think, but I am assuming, which I try not to do, that all Chromebooks can support Linux. They would seem to need Hardware capabilities that the original basic Chromebooks do not have, so I'm thinking they are more "upscale" models with better configurations.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I am not sure how you can do that, because we have never had a Chromebook or seriously considered purchasing one.  LibreOffice is, I believe, the Free Office Suite I have installed on this Dell Laptop, which was a Windows Laptop for most of the years, but is now running MX Linux.   Yes. I have now confirmed that LibreOffice is the Office Suite Application that was included when I installed MX Linux on this box.

NOTE: I just Googled OfficeLibre and the first result is for LibreOffice.

I don't think, but I am assuming, which I try not to do, that all Chromebooks can support Linux. They would seem to need Hardware capabilities that the original basic Chromebooks do not have, so I'm thinking they are more "upscale" models with better configurations.

I just  found a story dated couple of months  that all of them will be Linux supported going forward. Now I just need to figure out which ones currently are. 🙂 

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/291185-all-chromebooks-will-support-linux-going-forward

• Like 1

I have an Acer chromebook 14 and I love it. It is my second one, my 1st one started having battery issues after years of perfect use. We ordered another chromebook, it was different, smaller screen and I sent it back and asked dh to order the same one I had. It has a 15' screen and has some download space, so I can download some things.  I love it. I do photography and do that on my desktop Mac, use photoshop and stuff there.  I love the chromebook because it always just works, no virus problems, it's small and lightweight.  I had a macbook pro for years before the chromebook but when it died I just couldn't get myself to spend the money.  I purchased from amazon. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hen said:

I have an Acer chromebook 14 and I love it. It is my second one, my 1st one started having battery issues after years of perfect use. We ordered another chromebook, it was different, smaller screen and I sent it back and asked dh to order the same one I had. It has a 15' screen and has some download space, so I can download some things.  I love it. I do photography and do that on my desktop Mac, use photoshop and stuff there.  I love the chromebook because it always just works, no virus problems, it's small and lightweight.  I had a macbook pro for years before the chromebook but when it died I just couldn't get myself to spend the money.  I purchased from amazon. 

Is this the one?

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-Intel-Quad-Core-Processor-Refurbished/dp/B078WZLFDB/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=chromebook+14+&qid=1563137512&s=electronics&sr=8-2

do you know if you can load officelibre on it?

• Like 1

Roadrunner,  yes, that is the chromebook I have.  I don't think you can load any programs onto it, you can load apps from the google store, I believe, if you have the space. It's basically like having a big smart phone, you can run apps and online programs but not actually load programs.  I haven't every loaded apps from the google store, so I am not sure. I have loaded extensions onto my google docs, like special templates and  document converter. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 10:15 AM, marbel said:

Okay, I am a little confused. I save my google doc to .docx for easier editing by others and relax about formatting. When I want my google doc to keep its formatting, I use .pdf. That doesn't always work???

50 minutes ago, KathyBC said:

Okay, I am a little confused. I save my google doc to .docx for easier editing by others and relax about formatting. When I want my google doc to keep its formatting, I use .pdf. That doesn't always work???

Here comes another stupid...do you have Office in your chromebook? How are you able to save in docx? I guess I need the ability to type in WORD, either the official one or LibreOffice. I don’t want just google docs bc most the time this thing would be offline.  Is this possible? 

You could try out Office Online, and see whether it is suitable?
You just need to have Google Chrome installed, and also a Microsoft Account (email address).
Then you just add it as an extension to Google Chrome.
Here's a link where you can read about it and set it up.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/office-online/ndjpnladcallmjemlbaebfadecfhkepb?hl=en

10 hours ago, KathyBC said:

LOL, I don't know, I was just relating what my kid said to me. For his purposes (writing papers for school, with footnotes and certain formatting requirements and having to be submitted as .docx or .pdf), the Chromebook was not the most convenient. I probably should have kept quiet since I could not expand on that comment.  🙂  He is not around now to ask.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I just ordered one. For $199 I don’t think I can go too wrong. I am really hoping they aren’t buggy like PCs. 

Today is my shopping day. Heading to the back to school sales isle as well 🙂 

Now I only wish they will have a deal on graphing calculators as well.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I just ordered one. For $199 I don’t think I can go too wrong. I am really hoping they aren’t buggy like PCs. 

Today is my shopping day. Heading to the back to school sales isle as well 🙂 

Now I only wish they will have a deal on graphing calculators as well.

Good luck with the Chromebook!   As long as you have WiFi I believe you will enjoy it. Many people here on WTM have them and love them.

My favorite OS as far as long term use is Android in my phone. Usually stable and solid.  Recently, I began using MX Linux on this Laptop and so far it seems very stable and solid and I'm a happy camper.

With regard to Graphing Calculators being on sale.  This was 4 or 5 years ago. I signed up for a Prime Account. On Prime Day I watched and watched for the TI 84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator.  They'd become available in the USA earlier that year for the first time.  Nothing...

I kept watching and a week or 2 after Prime Day (I don't remember the time lag) it became available for Prime members and I bought one for DD.

Hopefully you will find it quickly.  Look on Wal-Mart and Target also.

ETA: Not sure of the URL I use to log into my Free Microsoft account that has access to Office Online, among many other things.  I just Googled and found this link. You will need a Microsoft (Hotmail, Live, etc.) account to log in.  If there is any thought of incompatibility issues, I use WORD there...

https://products.office.com/en-ww/office-online/documents-spreadsheets-presentations-office-online

ETA #2: I explored the above link on office.com   That's not the correct URL for you to sign up for Free use of Office Online.  If you have a Microsoft account now (Hotmail, Live, etc.) log into your account and the access to Office Online may be there. If not, hunt for it. It is online and it is free. I use it occasionally.

Edited by Lanny
add ETA #2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Good luck with the Chromebook!   As long as you have WiFi I believe you will enjoy it. Many people here on WTM have them and love them.

My favorite OS as far as long term use is Android in my phone. Usually stable and solid.  Recently, I began using MX Linux on this Laptop and so far it seems very stable and solid and I'm a happy camper.

With regard to Graphing Calculators being on sale.  This was 4 or 5 years ago. I signed up for a Prime Account. On Prime Day I watched and watched for the TI 84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator.  They'd become available in the USA earlier that year for the first time.  Nothing...

I kept watching and a week or 2 after Prime Day (I don't remember the time lag) it became available for Prime members and I bought one for DD.

Hopefully you will find it quickly.  Look on Wal-Mart and Target also.

ETA: Not sure of the URL I use to log into my Free Microsoft account that has access to Office Online, among many other things.  I just Googled and found this link. You will need a Microsoft (Hotmail, Live, etc.) account to log in.  If there is any thought of incompatibility issues, I use WORD there...

https://products.office.com/en-ww/office-online/documents-spreadsheets-presentations-office-online

ETA #2: I explored the above link on office.com   That's not the correct URL for you to sign up for Free use of Office Online.  If you have a Microsoft account now (Hotmail, Live, etc.) log into your account and the access to Office Online may be there. If not, hunt for it. It is online and it is free. I use it occasionally.

No luck on prime deals. It was yesterday and today. 😞

But I am heading to Target, so we will see. 

22 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Here comes another stupid...do you have Office in your chromebook? How are you able to save in docx? I guess I need the ability to type in WORD, either the official one or LibreOffice. I don’t want just google docs bc most the time this thing would be offline.  Is this possible? 

My kid also has Chromebook, no Office. In Google docs, when you highlight Download as ---> or Email attachment...   it gives you a list of ways to save or attach your document (or spreadsheet or slideshow).

Edited by KathyBC
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, marbel said:

LOL, I don't know, I was just relating what my kid said to me. For his purposes (writing papers for school, with footnotes and certain formatting requirements and having to be submitted as .docx or .pdf), the Chromebook was not the most convenient. I probably should have kept quiet since I could not expand on that comment.  🙂  He is not around now to ask.

No, that makes sense. If you had to submit as .docx and lost your formatting, that would not be the most convenient.  Those are the times I really miss Office.