Menu

Accountability Thread 7/114-7/20

Okay, am getting a handle on the week. 

Today (it is a somewhat-school day here): minimum work for each child.  Elder: piano, math, composition.  Younger: piano, math, Latin. 

This week's big goals:

1. Power through school planning
    1. finish drafting "Christian Studies" lesson plans for our current round
      1. schedule Bible readings along the lines of the MP materials for both boys (older and younger) -- I like the way MP covers the historical element of Bible, but not their children's Bible or lack of Wisdom books in the OT studies.  So I need to line the work up with our resources. 
      2. create lists of memory work, including geography
      3. decide how to do church history: bundle in each child's Christian Studies or do as a family?  (do as family using History Lives series)
      4. look over memory verses and edit the Christian Studies plans as fit
      5. sketch out resources/general plan for elder DS's next chunk of studies  after he finishes this one
      6. draft CS course plans for both boys; include church history, hymn study as CM feast? 
    2. Do scut-work for younger DS's summer Minimus Latin.
      1. make flashcards
      2. make vocabulary lists for him to do as copywork
      3. schedule the vocab work so that it "stands alone" from the book -- isn't ideal, but we need to go "get'er done" on this thing
    3. Next on school planning would be practical art, artist study.
    4. (other topics to go here)
  2. For boys' school: maintain last week's work, try to read aloud during day 2x (up from 1x) and add art.
  3. Increase my exercise, daily exercise with boys, 2x daily with elder.
  4. Acquire mulch, get plants in ground, do 3 things to beautify interior of house.
  5. Gracefully supervise an unexpected & short visit by friends of my MIL Tuesday AM
  6. Make cookies to bring by our former church's Sunday morning coffee hour: part of my effort to be a blessing to the community. (deleted from list)

I think I'll fill this in & cross off as we progress.  !!!

ps -- wishing you river-only water, Critterfixer!

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Morning! We had an awesome, fabulous river day. Drove through hurricane generated mist bands to get there, but once we were there, it stayed cloudy, cool, and mostly dry, with only the lightest of mists that didn't get through the tree leaves where we parked our chairs to rest. The boys paddled and played with the fish. I mostly rested, and then got out in the river and swam for a while. The water was crystal clear to about six feet deep. 

After our paddle, it started raining. but we went and scouted out a few new areas to paddle while were were up there and found one really nice site. The road to get to it is terrible, but it's fairly secluded, which suits us well. 

Today's goal--clean up all the muddy mess from yesterday (several saturated humans produced lots of muddy clothes) and get some writing done. The hurricane has arrived, and it showering us with the kindest of rain, perfectly fine mist that is heavy. It's the strangest rain we ever get.  A good day to stay inside, think, read, and write.

• Like 1

Morning. Standard school things this morning, but I've got an afternoon of some preserving to do, and I may haul both boys in for the canning process. Other than that, it's all writing and revising for me today. I'm trying to get everything cleared out by August, so I can kick back and spend a few weeks plotting school and setting schedules for a more balanced writing life. 

• Like 1

Afternoon! 

Well, today hit like a kick in the pants!  but we are Still Here.  For the rest of the day:

• water plants/get myself outside a bit
  • exercise; ideally get a run in too
  • exercise for elder ds
  • dinner
  • piano practice for boys
  • do "lesson plan lists" for my Christian Studies courses.  !!!  I hope that will end the planning of them ..,

• Like 1

@serendipitous journey

You stay so on target, it's an inspiration! I got sidetracked by peach preserves, and made a few pints of it. Been a long time since I canned anything, but the lids all sealed, so I hope I did it right. 

Today: writing and revising. Boys have school. I have to go renew my driver's license, and the boys can pick up what they need for permits maybe.

• Like 1

Morning. Yesterday was art, and then I wrote for most of the afternoon. The boys did algebra and Latin, and one of my sons is having a really difficult times with inequalities. I expressed sympathy (I didn't like them either) but also reassured him that we'll be getting them again in a different format this fall so he'll have ample opportunity to work with them until they click. That seemed to soothe him a little.

Today will be more writing, and they will do their usual summer work. Tomorrow I get to go to the library, but I still have a lot of writing to do when I get back. Still. Library!

• Like 1

I hope that summer work &c goes well, and hurrah for libraries! 

On 7/17/2019 at 5:20 AM, Critterfixer said:

@serendipitous journey

You stay so on target, it's an inspiration! I got sidetracked by peach preserves, and made a few pints of it. Been a long time since I canned anything, but the lids all sealed, so I hope I did it right. 

Today: writing and revising. Boys have school. I have to go renew my driver's license, and the boys can pick up what they need for permits maybe.

This was so kind of you to say!  teary hug ... things have been so hard, you know?  and I carried your words with me all day.  Plus: peach preserves?!?!?!  so yummy!!!!

Well, the Christian studies plans are finished: hurrah!  Elder DS' health stuff is up and down, a bit of a roller coaster there.  DH returns earlier than expected from a trip today ...

Today: house, garden, math & Latin & composition, exercise, run by grocery stores, make sure boys get a good amount of "feast": some good stories, some new information about the world, something beautiful, good music.  And have us happy and mellow as can be when DH gets home -- it's a stretch goal, but why not? 

• Like 1

Morning! 

Today: work on my D&D character (fun!); run my Official Planning Routine on the stuff we are doing already and add summer Latin for elder child, then begin art plans; various chores around the house, figure out what needs to get done to make some friends' overnight stay next weekend be easy & restorative all around.  Spend time with my family. 

• Like 1