Menu

Do you and your spouse give one another anniversary gifts?

DoraBora

We don't typically do gifts, but we do go out for a nice dinner.  Our anniversary is also my birthday, so I do get a gift for that since we do birthday and Christmas gifts for each other.

A few times we have gone out of town for a night or two for our anniversary.  The first time was for our 10th when I was pregnant with my youngest.  I figured it was our last chance for a while and we had never done that before.  Now that the kids are older, and youngest's health issues are easier to manage by himself, we can go and do more.  We are talking about doing a trip to Ireland for our 25th in a couple years, but typically we do more local trips within a few hours drive.

No, we never have.  In our early years we celebrated on the day, always, by eating out somewhere special.  (We starting out living in the Middle East so we have some very special anniversary memories from there.)  

But as life goes on, the actual dinner-out might happen anytime -- even a month later.  Or sometimes, with young kids, a nice dinner at home after they were asleep.

The only time one of us got the other a present was when my dh bought me a diamond ring on our 25th anniversary (we couldn't afford one before), and then he bought me a solid gold band on our 30th after he almost lost his life. 

We never entirely forget it though.  We've been through a lot in our lives -- over 35 years now!  It is certainly something to mark and celebrate, but gifts really aren't part of that equation.

No anniversary gifts here.... or birthday or Christmas either for that matter.  We both basically get ourselves whatever we are needing/wanting throughout the year. So no need to spend extra money just to buy a gift.  And neither of us really likes picking out gifts for others or even like receiving gifts. 

We do go out to eat usually,  and occasionally take a short trip to a bed and breakfast or some thing like that,  but it's not a big deal if there's a lot going on during that time and we do nothing.  

I was trying to remember if we ever did gifts, earlier in our marriage (23 years), but I can't remember for sure.  

Edited by lispy
Weird word order

On 7/13/2019 at 3:14 PM, DoraBora said:

Our wedding anniversary (29 years) is fast approaching, and honestly, I don't know what to give my husband (and I wouldn't know what to ask him to give me).  Is that boring?

We have one in college and a rising high school senior, so our expenses/projected expenses are high just now.  Really, I am fine with going out, just the two of us, and enjoying a quiet dinner, but I wonder whether I should try to be creative about a gift.  

Truly, neither of us needs anything.

(Doubting myself...)

Do y'all get gifts for your spouse on your anniversary?  

Sometimes. More often we go out to eat together and call it our joint anniversary gift to each other.

There is not a right or wrong answer here b/c it is individual. Don't feel obligated to give a gift just for the sake of it, does he want or expect one, do you?My mil and sil are big gift givers so they do gifts for everything, it works for them. MIL and FIL were married nearly 50 years before he passed and SIL and BIL just had their 23rd. My parents on the other hand never commemorate any anniversary or bday and my mom is a bit resentful about that. She doesn't care for anything big or extravagant but some kind of acknowledgement.

We do not generally give gifts on anniversaries, other than dh buying me chocolate perhaps but he does that on every occasion 🙂 Oh, and maybe grocery store flowers, although I prefer wildflowers if they are in season. I've told him if he wants to buy me flowers than for sure don't buy them from a florist, they are just too much money, IMO.

I've always felt that anniversaries were occasions to spend time together not giving gifts, that is the celebration of our marriage. Although, plenty of years that celebration was a dinner at home together. On our 10th we did a 10 mile hike w/ a baby on my back and this year for our 20th we took a trip to Europe, 3 months prior as that is how it worked out. Honestly, we'd been trying to go on a European vaca for 15 yrs but just finally worked it out on the year of our 20th so we decided it was to celebrate our 20th. 

Our actual 20th anniversary is on Wednesday, I'm not sure what we'll do. I'm thinking maybe lunch in town, I have a gift certificate. Maybe visit the location where we got engaged, it is a scenic overlook and only about 30 min away, so that is easy enough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our 28th anniversary was this past weekend.  We usually go out to dinner and get each other cards and something small.  Dh gets me a crossword lotto ticket (because I love crosswords and because I've won a few dollars before) and 1 singlely packaged Fanny May Trinidad - my favorite candy.  I got him a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle to do with me (once I clear my sewing/mending projects off the dining room table.)  Sometimes we will agree on a concert or live theater event to go to.  For our 25th, we did a 4-day weekend away.

We do not. If we have some major type purchase we want to make that isn't essential but desired, we'll do that and say it is our 'anniversary present'. Mostly these have taken the form of a new mattress or a new computer, but in the 33 years we've been married, those have been rare.