Menu

What's with the ads?

SS in MD

Precalculus & AP Govt online recommendations

I'm searching for a thorough online pre-calculus class that prepares the student to take the SAT math level 2 subject test. Any recommendations?

Also, for the same child (10th grade) considering taking AP govt - any online providers or teachers you would recommendation that prepare the student well for the AP govt test? 

Thank you!

I think most Precalculus classes would prepare for the Math 2 to some extent. I don't know of any that offer specific prep. Are there any you are specifically interested in? Derek Owens would be on your schedule so you don't have APs and SAT Subject tests hitting all around the same time as you finish courses.

Khan Academy has AP (US) Government for free: https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/ap-us-government-and-politics

There is also an AP Comparative Government class that PA homeschoolers has that is well-regarded last I heard, but finding a test site is a another matter.

I would add a test prep book to either.

Edited by MamaSprout

We used Derek Owns for precalc and Thinkwell US Govt. My daughter had great test results. That said, I always recommend getting a test prep book to help fill in any holes left by any given curriculum prior to the test.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 10:26 AM, GoodGrief1 said:

We used Derek Owns for precalc and Thinkwell US Govt. My daughter had great test results. That said, I always recommend getting a test prep book to help fill in any holes left by any given curriculum prior to the test.

Thanks. Di you dd use Thinkwell AP govt or regular govt course? I went to their website, but didn't see any details or info on how long it takes (1 or 2 semesters) or pacing guide, do they is there any tests/quizzes... not a lot of details listed. Can you provide any insight? (maybe I wasn't looking in the right place? hmm..?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, SS in MD said:

Thanks. Di you dd use Thinkwell AP govt or regular govt course? I went to their website, but didn't see any details or info on how long it takes (1 or 2 semesters) or pacing guide, do they is there any tests/quizzes... not a lot of details listed. Can you provide any insight? (maybe I wasn't looking in the right place? hmm..?

Thanks!

Here’s a 36-week lesson plan provided by Thinkwell. Looks like there are 7 chapter tests plus a mid-term and a final exam. Not sure if there are quizzes. Obviously there is nobody to give feedback on free response questions/essays. I assume it could be completed in less than a full year, but I haven’t heard anyone say so! I’m also considering it for my DD .

AP_American_Government_Lesson_Plan_2018_

25 minutes ago, fourisenough said:

Here’s a 36-week lesson plan provided by Thinkwell. Looks like there are 7 chapter tests plus a mid-term and a final exam. Not sure if there are quizzes. Obviously there is nobody to give feedback on free response questions/essays. I assume it could be completed in less than a full year, but I haven’t heard anyone say so! I’m also considering it for my DD .

AP_American_Government_Lesson_Plan_2018_

Thank you!!  I can't seem to click on the attachment. Can you resend? Also where did you find the lesson plan? 

1 minute ago, SS in MD said:

Thank you!!  I can't seem to click on the attachment. Can you resend? Also where did you find the lesson plan? 

Oh darn, I was worried that would happen. I just googled “Thinkwell homeschool” and scrolled down to the AP Govt course. Click on Lesson Plan. FYI Thinkwell courses are in sale via HSBC 7/25-29. They usually go down to something like $75 dollars. Great deal if you’re in the market.

Oh, and I agree with GoodGrief1 re: Derek Owens. DD did his Physical Science and Pre-Algebra. We did live Algebra 1, Geometry, and (will do) Algebra 2 with WHA. But for Pre-Calc onward, I think we’ll need an asynchronous class so we’ll migrate back to DO. I’ve heard especially good things about his Pre-Calc.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, fourisenough said:

Oh, and I agree with GoodGrief1 re: Derek Owens. DD did his Physical Science and Pre-Algebra. We did live Algebra 1, Geometry, and (will do) Algebra 2 with WHA. But for Pre-Calc onward, I think we’ll need an asynchronous class so we’ll migrate back to DO. I’ve heard especially good things about his Pre-Calc.

Yes, we used DO this year for Honors Alg 2. It was very thorough but ds said videos took a long time and he ended up getting waay behind. He also did all the practice problems, which I recently heard he didn't have to do? Do your kiddos do them all?  Since you did it live, do you live in the Atlanta area?

Also, DO said he doesn't teach the probability & statistics part that's on the Math Level 2 subj test. So, I was looking into WHA or Potters School since both of their PreCalc classes prepares students for Sat subj test. (He could learn it on his own, but he wants to take 3 APs next year and I would rather have it taught to him then leave it up to him when he'll already be studying for APs, though he will likely take the Math 2 subj test June 6)  Any thoughts? 

1 hour ago, SS in MD said:

Yes, we used DO this year for Honors Alg 2. It was very thorough but ds said videos took a long time and he ended up getting waay behind. He also did all the practice problems, which I recently heard he didn't have to do? Do your kiddos do them all?  Since you did it live, do you live in the Atlanta area?

Also, DO said he doesn't teach the probability & statistics part that's on the Math Level 2 subj test. So, I was looking into WHA or Potters School since both of their PreCalc classes prepares students for Sat subj test. (He could learn it on his own, but he wants to take 3 APs next year and I would rather have it taught to him then leave it up to him when he'll already be studying for APs, though he will likely take the Math 2 subj test June 6)  Any thoughts? 

Oh, sorry if I was unclear. I meant my DD did Algebra 1 and Geometry live with WHA and will continue with Algebra 2 at WHA this year. No, we’re not near Atlanta. I really don’t know much about the SAT math 2 test, so can’t advise. We’ve been very happy with WHA math courses; DD is thrilled to have Mr. Reini again this fall. Mrs. Smith was excellent, too, if not quite as goofy/fun!

10 hours ago, SS in MD said:

I have three precalculus books on my shelf (one is pretty new), and none of them have statistics included. Larson has a web section to cover that. It's not to say you won't find a class that will cover stats, but I would get a hold of a test prep book and see if it's maybe taught at more of an Algebra 2 level? Maybe it isn't really a precalculus-level topic? I think it's on our state's Algebra 2 standards, which is why they don't cover trig until precalc here.

ETA- it looks like the stats section might take 3 days to cover at the most. I guess I would find a class that works for your ds overall. Most precalc classes (including DO) cover some probability. I know you don't want him to self-study anything, but I think some subject test prep will need to happen. Very few classes prep for the subject tests (I've looked for Bio). Maybe choose the June date for the subject tests and focus on those after the AP exams in May? We're kind of in the same situation, but decided to do dual enrollment instead of APs this year.

Edited by MamaSprout

My dd#1 took PreCalc at WHA & I'm pretty sure they did not cover prob/stats in any significant way. (I personally dislike WHA's choice of textbooks for both PreCalc & Calc but this particular daughter loved Mrs Smith so I put up with them.) 

SAT Subject tests were not a requirement here, but I agree some test prep would be helpful if you are looking for a top score.

5 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

I have three precalculus books on my shelf (one is pretty new), and none of them have statistics included. Larson has a web section to cover that. It's not to say you won't find a class that will cover stats, but I would get a hold of a test prep book and see if it's maybe taught at more of an Algebra 2 level? Maybe it isn't really a precalculus-level topic? I think it's on our state's Algebra 2 standards, which is why they don't cover trig until precalc here.

ETA- it looks like the stats section might take 3 days to cover at the most. I guess I would find a class that works for your ds overall. Most precalc classes (including DO) cover some probability. I know you don't want him to self-study anything, but I think some subject test prep will need to happen. Very few classes prep for the subject tests (I've looked for Bio). Maybe choose the June date for the subject tests and focus on those after the AP exams in May? We're kind of in the same situation, but decided to do dual enrollment instead of APs this year.

Thanks for the post. Its good to know prob & stats won't take that long to self-study :) 

Honestly, I guess I'm hesitant with son doing DO for pre-calc because he got so ridiculously behind in Alg 2 this year! It might have been a combination of things (many videos, doing all the practice problems, self-pacing/getting sidetracked on the internet, etc) I've heard pre-calc is has many practice problems (too many?) Have your kids done DO for pre-calc? Did they do all the practice problems (along with homework problems?) What are your thoughts? Did they take the math level 2 subj test? How did they score? I don't mind him self-studying for the subj test. I just figured if I could find a precalc class that had that included it would be a bonus lol 😉

30 minutes ago, SS in MD said:

Thanks for the post. Its good to know prob & stats won't take that long to self-study 🙂

Honestly, I guess I'm hesitant with son doing DO for pre-calc because he got so ridiculously behind in Alg 2 this year! It might have been a combination of things (many videos, doing all the practice problems, self-pacing/getting sidetracked on the internet, etc) I've heard pre-calc is has many practice problems (too many?) Have your kids done DO for pre-calc? Did they do all the practice problems (along with homework problems?) What are your thoughts? Did they take the math level 2 subj test? How did they score? I don't mind him self-studying for the subj test. I just figured if I could find a precalc class that had that included it would be a bonus lol 😉

My dd took Precalc (and Alg2) with DO.  She watched virtually none of the videos as far as I could tell (only ones where she couldn't figure out a problem - but sometimes she was so lazy she'd ask DO himself which video to watch so she didn't have to go through them herself...), she also did exactly zero of the practice problems.  All she did was the homework that had to be passed in and the tests.  She made an A- in the Honors level and got all kinds of nice comments from him on her final grade report (of course he had no idea she hadn't watched videos or done practice problems).  And then couldn't pass the placement test at the CC to get into Calc because - surprise! - even though she's obviously quite good at math, only doing the homework meant she did something like 1-3 problems on each concept, which is *not* enough to retain it long-term.  And she refused to study *at all* for the placement test, which just might have made a difference...  🙄  She ended up re-taking a CC PreCalc class (easier than DO, honestly) to fulfill the pre-req for Calc, which she's finally taking now (this summer) at a 4-year.  But not at the 4-year she's attending in the fall, because they wanted another placement test, which she wanted to avoid at all costs...  The local 4-year would accept the CC PreCalc as a pre-req.  They've confirmed that Calc will transfer, so that should be the last math class she'll ever have to take (though she's an Accounting major, so she'll have to apply math all the time...)  Sorry, I think I went on a venty tangent... 😒

I think some healthy balance of your ds's and my dd's approach would be best.  Somewhere between no videos or practice at all and absolutely every one!  Everyone else I've heard of here who's done well in DO's classes has had great test scores.  Apparently my dd's the only one who gamed the system to that extent.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, SS in MD said:

Thanks for the post. Its good to know prob & stats won't take that long to self-study 🙂

We are also finishing up DO Algebra 2. We did a different A2, but had IRL friends who really struggled jumping into DOs Precalc from another program, so I had dd test through and then do the chapters on conics and trig that weren't in her previous A2. She doesn't do all of the practice problems unless she doesn't "get" a topic. (She did everything in the conics section plus a couple of outside worksheets I found). Precalc has a textbook that I just ordered, so I suspect she may not need all of videos for Precalc, although I really like DOs explanations.

My plan for Precalc is to have her do DO "self-grading", but have set up a once-a-week session with a friend who was a math teacher before homeschooling to keep her on schedule, answer questions, maybe help with test prep, etc. Given the cost of a class like WHA, it won't be outrageous.

2 hours ago, SS in MD said:

Thanks for the post. Its good to know prob & stats won't take that long to self-study :) 

My son has done Geometry and Algebra 2 with DO. Our experience was complete opposite. Geometry took him forever and he breezed through Algebra 2 finishing the year early. He did every video and every problem that DO required but not anything extra. I’m not sure what you mean by “he did all the problems”—my son did the ones in the workbook and then the ones to turn in. Were there others  your son did?

were doing pre-cal with DO this fall and reviewing Algebra 2 this summer via Khan Academy. He’ll take Math 2 Subject test in the spring 

6 minutes ago, shburks said:

My son has done Geometry and Algebra 2 with DO. Our experience was complete opposite. Geometry took him forever and he breezed through Algebra 2 finishing the year early. He did every video and every problem that DO required but not anything extra. I’m not sure what you mean by “he did all the problems”—my son did the ones in the workbook and then the ones to turn in. Were there others  your son did?

were doing pre-cal with DO this fall and reviewing Algebra 2 this summer via Khan Academy. He’ll take Math 2 Subject test in the spring 

So he is doing all of DO precalc  in the fall? 

6 hours ago, shburks said:

He did Honors Alg 2 so yes, he watched all the videos, every practice problem, all homework assignments along with all the extra honors assignments and honors test pages. His final grade was 96% so he did fine, but it took a long time for him. He doesn't want to do honors precalc next year! lol...