Menu

What's with the ads?

happysmileylady

What euphemisms do your 10yr olds know?

You know, *euphemisms*  Like specifically of course sexually related euphemisms such as "beaver."

ETA: A situation came up today that kind of bothered me but as I posted in my other thread tonight, I hate everyone today.  So my bother might be driven by hormones and not reasonableness.  

Edited by happysmileylady

My kids don’t know any of them, as far as I can tell.  I think they figured out that adult time doesn’t mean movie watching and a twig and berries aren’t, well, plants...?

I don't think my 10 year old knows any.  Maybe he knows 'doing it.' I'm pretty sure he knows what our bedroom door being locked means.

Mine only know that Dick isn’t just a nickname for Richard. I have no clue how they know that one though. 

26 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Mine only know that Dick isn’t just a nickname for Richard. I have no clue how they know that one though. 

yeah, my kids know this as well.  I actually don't think they even know it is a nickname for Richard, ha.

• Haha 3

Ok so it sounds like I am not totally off the wall.

My 10 yr old has probably figure out that "mom and dad are going to talk about grocery shopping " doesn't really mean talking about grocery shopping lol.  When I was a kid, I was at least 12 before I figure out that "we are going to take a nap" didn't really mean *taking a nap.*

Today, I was hanging out with a family with 2 kids (fraternal twins) about DD10's age, turning 11 in like 2 or 3 months or so.  I didn't have much interaction with the son, but mostly interact with the daughter and her mom (since my son is much younger.)  I don't remember what turned the conversation in this direction but the mom said something like "I am glad she's getting to an age where we can explain what we are giggling about." And then they proceeded to trot out multiple euphemisms that the mom has apparently intentionally taught her daughter.  And of course, the 10yr old girl giggles with each one.  There were at least 3 that even I didn't know.....at 41.

Now, you know, maybe there's a specific reason I am unaware of for intentionally speaking these terms.  But the only ones I can come up with (besides "it's funny") that I can come up with involve abuse situations that, at least to the best of my knowledge, don't fit this family.  And the way it was trotted out was more "it's funny" than "I want her to know these things just in case."  

I dunno...it just kinda bugged me.  

(Just FTR, when the mom said "an age where we can explain" she was using a general we, as in her and her DH.  The conversation she and I were having was very much NOT at that level.  I have known her about a year, but we NOT besties lol)

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

My 10 yr old has probably figure out that "mom and dad are going to talk about grocery shopping " doesn't really mean talking about grocery shopping lol.  When I was a kid, I was at least 12 before I figure out that "we are going to take a nap" didn't really mean *taking a nap.*

Today, I was hanging out with a family with 2 kids (fraternal twins) about DD10's age, turning 11 in like 2 or 3 months or so.  I didn't have much interaction with the son, but mostly interact with the daughter and her mom (since my son is much younger.)  I don't remember what turned the conversation in this direction but the mom said something like "I am glad she's getting to an age where we can explain what we are giggling about." And then they proceeded to trot out multiple euphemisms that the mom has apparently intentionally taught her daughter.  And of course, the 10yr old girl giggles with each one.  There were at least 3 that even I didn't know.....at 41.

Now, you know, maybe there's a specific reason I am unaware of for intentionally speaking these terms.  But the only ones I can come up with (besides "it's funny") that I can come up with involve abuse situations that, at least to the best of my knowledge, don't fit this family.  And the way it was trotted out was more "it's funny" than "I want her to know these things just in case."  

I dunno...it just kinda bugged me.  

(Just FTR, when the mom said "an age where we can explain" she was using a general we, as in her and her DH.  The conversation she and I were having was very much NOT at that level.  I have known her about a year, but we NOT besties lol)

I can't imagine purposely wanting to explain what I'm giggling about to my child if it is sex related.  

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

None. We don't talk about or imply sexual things around our kids. I think that's totally icky. 

• Like 8

I mean, was it like "glad we could explain those phrases...when we heard them on tv"?

We recently watched Mrs.Doubtfire and there are a TON of euphemisms that I only understood because of context. A few surprisingly raunchy. (Now, I didn't teach them to my kids...I spent the whole time thinking "pleeease don't ask what that means..." but maybe their situation stems from something like that?)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I mean, was it like "glad we could explain those phrases...when we heard them on tv"?

We recently watched Mrs.Doubtfire and there are a TON of euphemisms that I only understood because of context. A few surprisingly raunchy. (Now, I didn't teach them to my kids...I spent the whole time thinking "pleeease don't ask what that means..." but maybe their situation stems from something like that?)

This I could completely understand because there are things I'm completely comfortable letting my kids know if they ask. Side note,  they learned what sex was when they asked what artificially inseminating a cow meant in the context of me walking about something I had done during college.  Explaining things when asked seems normal.  Mentioning them completely out of context to your children, like when OP mentions seems abnormal.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Actually, now that you mention it, yes, it was related to TV.  But, it wasn't tv they watched as a family.  Rather tv that mom and dad watch when the kids are in the other room.  So, not necessarily watching adult shows with the kids (GoT was mentioned, but I can't remember the others, something about Alaska and a few others) but rather choosing to watch adult themed shows while not making the effort to shield the kids from it, and then going further to explain those adult things.

4 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

This I could completely understand because there are things I'm completely comfortable letting my kids know if they ask. Side note,  they learned what sex was when they asked what artificially inseminating a cow meant in the context of me walking about something I had done during college.  Explaining things when asked seems normal.  Mentioning them completely out of context to your children, like when OP mentions seems abnormal.

No, THIS sort of thing would make sense to me.  I have done with this both with DD10 and with DD23 when she was in the process of learning all those things.  We were dealing with secondary infertility when DD23 was that age and there was lots of the process explained.  But when explaining it to my 23yr old, terms like d***o cam were not used to reference internal ultrasounds.  Even if I might use such a euphemism while out to dinner with another mom who is also experiencing such issues.   

My kids are younger (oldest is 7), but I don't think my opinion on this will change in the next couple years.

I would definitely explain a term they'd heard elsewhere, at least to whatever point it is reasonable for them to understand it. We're pretty open and matter of fact. I can't imagine introducing them to euphemisms myself, unless for some reason I expected them to hear it and wanted to prepare them. 

Parents choosing to watch adult themed shows without kids makes sense to me. It also makes sense to me that I would explain to my 10 year old that adult themed shows may include talk about sex in a way that kids aren't yet ready for (or something like that, as in explain why we are choosing not to allow kids to watch it. I'm not sure what my wording would be, we don't tend to watch explicit shows ourselves, but I can understand if parents choose to.)

But I cannot envision myself then explaining the euphemisms and content of those shows to my 10 yr old. Never say never, I suppose, but if some weird circumstance arose where I find myself introducing such euphemisms to my 10 year old . . . well, I feel fairly confident I will not then be giggling about it with her. 😳

• Like 1

4 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

terms like d***o cam were not used to reference internal ultrasounds 

It took me quite a while to figure out this euphemism, and I've had one. 

• Haha 3

Yes, if my son asked I'd explain what things meant. But he picked up my time travel novel _Just One Damned Thing After Another_ and actually got fairly far through (because he reads faster than me AND has more time to read) before I went "HEY! that's an adult book. I need to read it and check if its okay for you to read)... and I'm just as glad he didn't understand that was an attempted rape.  But if he'd been confused I'd have explained it. He's more than old enough.

"You're too young to know that" is not something said very often around here, but nobody is doing any giggling about any of it. 

As far as I know my 11 and 9 year old don’t know any. I mean if they asked, I would explain. My daughter heard a commercial for the little blue pill and asked what ED was. I told her I would tell her if she really wanted to know but it might embarrass her, she said she would ask again when she was older. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Jentrovert said:

But I cannot envision myself then explaining the euphemisms and content of those shows to my 10 yr old. Never say never, I suppose, but if some weird circumstance arose where I find myself introducing such euphemisms to my 10 year old . . . well, I feel fairly confident I will not then be giggling about it with her. 😳

This is kinda where I was at. 

It was a bit weird to have a 10yr old explaining to me that she knows what "taco" means.  

• Confused 1

Edited by bolt.
double post

I think knowing "balls" is pretty normal. I think it probably depends on whatever specific euphemisms are being bantered around their peer group.

I wonder if you are uncomfortable because of the sex-positive tone of the conversation -- more so than the actual number or specific meaning of the euphemisms that were mentioned during the conversation. As a culture, we are just getting used to the idea that it's normal for 10yos to know what sex is, and to talk about it openly with friends and family. (For the record: we made that change on purpose. It's a good one.)

The idea that sex can be playful, and that it can be referred to playfully is something we are comfortable with as adults -- but it's a bit uncomfortable thinking of kids thinking of it that way. We'd rather them think of it in a remote, clinical, sex-ed way because we very much want the actual experience of sex to be 'remote' from children.

That's true -- but it isn't what people who are sex-positive with kids are trying to do. They are concerned that we can't really teach one view of sex to kids (it's impersonal) and expect them to change easily as adults (it can be playful). That's the main reason we had to stop teaching kids that sex is 'dirty' -- it turns out that's a hard idea to abandon. So, I respect the motives. I think it's a good thing to let kids know that sex is not only normal, but fun. I think sharing the silly euphamisms might be part of that... even though I don't want to do it that way myself!

Edited by bolt.

3 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I was a bit weird to have a 10yr old explaining to me that she knows what "taco" means.  

I'm almost 43 and had to google to confirm I was right. I've not actually heard this irl, just guessed. 🙀

3 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

This is kinda where I was at. 

It was a bit weird to have a 10yr old explaining to me that she knows what "taco" means.  

I'm too scared to google it. I have no idea what this means! 

• Like 6

I don't know what euphemisms my kids knew at ten, but by 13, they were explaining some to me....

12 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I'm too scared to google it. I have no idea what this means! 

It is a reference to a particular part of female anatomy.  

5 hours ago, Jentrovert said:

I'm almost 43 and had to google to confirm I was right. I've not actually heard this irl, just guessed. 🙀

I didn’t know that one and my husband didn’t either. Sure gives a new meaning to Taco Tuesday!

• Haha 6

Dh and i say plenty of giggle-worthy stuff between ourselves and only ourselves.  But one thing I have told my kids is that we don't talk about Tea in a crude or vulgar way.  I will answer any question they ask usually (with a tendency to overshare) and would probably explain a euphemism if they asked about it.... but I wouldn't be using those terms casually around my kids or encouraging them to do so either. I know I can't what control what they hear from their friends or what they say to them. But some of that talk borders on disrespectful and I wouldn't encourage it.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, bolt. said:

I think it's a good thing to let kids know that sex is not only normal, but fun. I think sharing the silly euphamisms might be part of that... even though I don't want to do it that way myself!

This is a good point but the pearl-clutcher in me would tell my kids it's okay to be fun and playful and talk that way with someone you're married to, but outside of that it borders on vulgar. 

I will admit I lol'd at the above Taco Tuesday, but can't imagine hearing or using that that way phrase among friends.

• Like 3

I actually did know the term taco, but I don't typically hear it in my group in a sexual way. It's more of a way of talking about media - is this story too male-gazey, does it fail or barely pass the Bechdel test? Or does it have enough female content? Insert food items to stand in for people as necessary, I hope I don't need to spell out which food item means men. (Actually, that's even declined as we've all become more trans-friendly, but I still know the terms and what they mean!)

I'm fairly open about sex - the kids knew about babies before they knew how to read, and they were much younger than the double digits before we started explaining that there are ways to prevent babies and other forms of sexual activity and so on. (This is more because I dislike dishonesty than anything else - I also never said "you can't subtract a bigger number from a smaller number", preferring "You can subtract bigger numbers from smaller numbers, but you're not doing that yet", I emphasized that "triangles equal 180 degrees" is only true on a flat plane but that they were only working with flat planes for quite a while, I spell out definitions of words in excruciating detail, and of course we never did Santa or the Tooth Fairy in any literal sense. You may not think any or all of these examples are dishonest, but they feel that way to me, and so I try to be precise. It does no good to say that sex is about babies if it's not, and I don't think it harms kids to know the details in a clinical fashion, no more than it harms them to know that dinosaurs existed but now are extinct.)

And yes, that means we did bring up euphemisms at various points, sometimes just so they'd know in case they heard their friends use them, sometimes because it was painfully obvious that they didn't know (as in "You can't call your BFF your friend with benefits, because the benefit is sex.")

But yeah, all that openness has a limit, and that limit is where I don't joke about sex or discuss my sex life (or that of others) with them. That seems a major breach of both propriety and good sense. I don't think it's harmful for kids to know what sex is or that their parents engage in it, but I do think it's harmful to treat them like your own confidante or best buddy. They should be giggling about sex with their friends - not with their mom. And their mom and dad should be doing the same. I wouldn't ask them to listen to me fret about the bills, though they know we do pay them - this is more on par with that. (And for a greater example of the sort of inappropriate emotional entanglement I mean, you might read Summer in Orcus. Summer's mother is a terrible mother in exactly this way, even though she doesn't, in fact, talk about sex with her daughter. But she inappropriately makes her daughter act like her counselor, and I don't want to ever risk going in that direction.)

(Full disclosure, I did once use the phrase "It's all in the subtext" when referring to slash fanfic, and then carelessly finished with "...and we all know what that anagrams into!" without remembering my audience. When they asked, I told them to google it on safe search and then rapidly excused myself from the room so they could do so. Everybody in this house graciously pretends not to know what the other people like to read on Ao3, and I'd come dangerously close to breaching that boundary.)

• Like 3

More than my 12 yr old my 10yr old is just perceptive.  Like when avengers age of ultron came out she totally got what playing hiding the zucchini was referring to.

On 7/12/2019 at 9:27 PM, happysmileylady said:

Actually, now that you mention it, yes, it was related to TV.  But, it wasn't tv they watched as a family.  Rather tv that mom and dad watch when the kids are in the other room.  So, not necessarily watching adult shows with the kids (GoT was mentioned, but I can't remember the others, something about Alaska and a few others) but rather choosing to watch adult themed shows while not making the effort to shield the kids from it, and then going further to explain those adult things.

Well...I can sort of see how one might explain something so the kid doesn’t suffer social embarrassment for not getting the joke. I remember my friend telling me she said the f-word to her young kid (maybe 8 or so?) because the kid said others where joking about “the f-word” and she said, “Please tell me what they mean because I felt dumb.” So, after mentally wrestling with it, she told her daughter, to spare her social embarassment. 

I can’t really see explaining a bunch of things to a ten year old, mostly because some will become apparent once they understand nuanced details about body parts or acts people could do, but before then won’t make sense. For example, “tuna taco” for a female part. Even if I could explain, “oh, that means a lady’s ———,” I can’t imagine getting into the details of why that particular imagery is being used. I’m fine with them learning that as they get to be teens and beyond. Most will be discovered when they stumble upon them or only if they already understand the nuance. 

Funny tangent: my 14yo ds just learned about “in the closet/out of the closet” when we were staying at the beach house and all the cousins were trying to decide who is sleeping where. Ds wanted to sleep in the big walk-in closet. But it was funny because he refused to share a bed with his boy cousin and said something like, “I’m not sleeping with Bobby! I’m staying in the closet!” 😂 The older kids all had a laugh about that and explained the euphemism to him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

And yes, that means we did bring up euphemisms at various points, sometimes just so they'd know in case they heard their friends use them, sometimes because it was painfully obvious that they didn't know (as in "You can't call your BFF your friend with benefits, because the benefit is sex.")

But yeah, all that openness has a limit, and that limit is where I don't joke about sex or discuss my sex life (or that of others) with them. That seems a major breach of both propriety and good sense. I don't think it's harmful for kids to know what sex is or that their parents engage in it, but I do think it's harmful to treat them like your own confidante or best buddy. They should be giggling about sex with their friends - not with their mom. And their mom and dad should be doing the same. I wouldn't ask them to listen to me fret about the bills, though they know we do pay them - this is more on par with that. (And for a greater example of the sort of inappropriate emotional entanglement I mean, you might read Summer in Orcus. Summer's mother is a terrible mother in exactly this way, even though she doesn't, in fact, talk about sex with her daughter. But she inappropriately makes her daughter act like her counselor, and I don't want to ever risk going in that direction.)

Yes, I agree with this exactly. 

I am really curious because it's been bothering me - do parents really say things to their kids like "Daddy and I are going to go talk about grocery shopping" knowing that their kids know they are going to have sex? I find that so disturbing. Am I just a prude? 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, hippiemamato3 said:

I am really curious because it's been bothering me - do parents really say things to their kids like "Daddy and I are going to go talk about grocery shopping" knowing that their kids know they are going to have sex? I find that so disturbing. Am I just a prude? 

I don't use that phrase but I will tell the kids that we are going to our room to spend time together.  Sometime that means sex, sometimes it means talking about important stuff, and sometimes it means just reading together in bed having some time away from the kids.  But I'm pretty sure my oldest two know that it means we're probably having sex because I've heard them tell their younger siblings who are knocking on the door, "the door is locked so mom and dad are busy, lets not bother them."

What is disturbing about your kids knowing you have sex? Sex is a normal and healthy part of my relationship with my dh.  I think it is important for kids to know what a healthy relationship looks like and to know that there is nothing gross or secretive about sex. We don't go out of our way to tell them when we're doing it but we also don't sneak around to avoid them realizing that we do a normal thing that most couples do.  I had friends in high school who truly thought their parents didn't have sex anymore, even when they found condoms in their drawers.  And they were actually disgusted to find out their parents still had sex.  As a teen that was so odd for me because I knew my parents still did regularly.  They didn't tell us they still had sex but the only time they locked their bedroom door was when they were doing it, sometimes we could hear them, and my mom only wore a certain perfume when they did.

• Like 2

I guess I don't know a lot of euphemisms myself. Never have hung around much with people who used them, or read or watched things that would have taught me. I guess I'm a bit naive in that way, but that's okay. Besides, new ones come out all the time, and I don't want to be continually trying to learn the new ones, other than to keep from embarrassing myself. Since I don't hang with people who use them though, chances of that are not too big.

However, when we moved back to the U.S. from overseas, we did sit down with our boys and talk through some typical curse words and a few other words and phrases. It wasn't to giggle over them, but rather to educate them so they wouldn't embarrass themselves or use words they shouldn't be using. We didn't want them thinking they were regular vocabulary, which can happen when you haven't been raised in a certain culture.

ETA: They were older than 10.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 2

On 7/12/2019 at 7:46 PM, Arctic Mama said:

a twig and berries aren’t, well, plants...?

And that's a new one for me...

My kids were fairly innocent at age 10 ... partly because nobody does any of "those things" in our house, nor do I like to watch movies that go there if I can avoid it.

But I also agree that as we start letting kids watch more interesting movies etc., they will hear some of these things and will be confused if they don't know the meaning.  When that happens, I will just outright tell them what it means in not-funny language, then move on.  I rarely find it funny when the topic of sex comes up in an intellectually tween-appropriate movie.

Now more recently  (11/12yo), they have been taught by their peers some things that are never said at home.  Also they now read things on the internet.  My better reader knows things I did not know at her age; my elder kid, who is less of a researcher, is a little more clueless.

Funny story:  about a month ago, my kids and a friend were in the car with the grandma that I hired to do some driving.  Driver was listening to the radio and a commercial for erectile dysfunction came on.  My eldest innocently said, "what's erectile dysfunction?"  The other two girls were trying to explain without offending the granny, when finally the granny said, "It's a man thing.  Let's change the channel!"  LOL.  A little more than what my driver bargained for.   😛

• Like 2

On 7/14/2019 at 8:54 AM, hippiemamato3 said:

My parents never did and I never would.

I have no idea how my parents had 6 kids.  As far as I know they never did anything but sleep in their bedroom.  😛

• Like 2

On 7/14/2019 at 8:54 AM, hippiemamato3 said:

Well, at least in our family, there's a multi age group thing going on.

When my oldest (now 23) was like 10, 11, 12, no, we didn't use those sorts of statements.  I mean, we didn't straight up say "Hey, don't come in the room, we are having sex" but we didn't use super cloudy euphemisms like "talking about grocery shopping " lol.  IIRC, it was mostly just, 'we will be in the bedroom, we will be back in an hour or so.'  Do most parents say "hey, we are going to have sex, keep watching your show, we will make dinner when we are done."   ?

But, at this moment, my kids are 10, 8, and 6, and my 8yr old has an ASD diagnosis, the 6yr old is borderline.  I have no desire to try to explain to the younger kids, so DD10, who might probably get it, still gets lumped in when all 3 kids are all playing together.  So yes, my DD10 might hear something like that even if she knows, because her youngest brother, at 6, is going to hear and NOT know.

10 minutes ago, SKL said:

My parents never did and I never would.

I have no idea how my parents had 6 kids.  As far as I know they never did anything but sleep in their bedroom.  😛

Any time my mom makes ANY sexual reference....my sister starts plugging her ears and saying "la la la la la immaculate conception la la la la la!!!!!!"  She wants to hear NOTHING about my parents and the marriage bed....ever.  Just because a child knows their parents do "it" that doesn't mean the child.....even at age 40....wants to know lol

We were never (and still aren't mostly) purposefully raunchy around the kids, even in a veiled way. But any time something came up on TV or the like, we did explain it. And it didn't mean we wouldn't necessarily laugh if it was funny and then explain it. 

We never had a euphemism for going off to have a cup of tea. Though one time, ds read my texts and dh was... there's no other way to put this... propositioning me in the most silly language possible. There were eggplant emojis involved. Ds was clearly scarred. At least he learned not to read my texts. I had to explain that dh was being funny.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Any time my mom makes ANY sexual reference....my sister starts plugging her ears and saying "la la la la la immaculate conception la la la la la!!!!!!"  She wants to hear NOTHING about my parents and the marriage bed....ever.  Just because a child knows their parents do "it" that doesn't mean the child.....even at age 40....wants to know lol

Which may be why some people do tell their kids when it's not okay for ANY reason short of a 911 emergency to open the door. I'd rather hear about it than walk in on them doing it myself, wouldn't you? (Admittedly, that's an experience you're not likely to be careless enough to repeat!)

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 7:54 AM, hippiemamato3 said:

I wouldn't be comfortable with that, no. At this point, the kids don't realize what we're doing when the door is locked. Eventually they will figure it out, and that's ok. They should know it's normal. For me, it's not a matter of making sure the kids don't realize, it's just a matter of .  . . propriety? I wouldn't announce to anyone, of any age, that we're leaving the room to have sex. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I'm naive but I'm pretty sure my DS who is 19 still doesn't know what we mean when we say we're going to go take an afternoon nap 😛

He and the older kids know we still have tea (duh, we just had a baby lol) and we are not shy about PDA's at all, and in our tea talks we've been clear that tea is awesome and we hope they have a great tea drinking relationship with their spouse someday. But it would really surprise me if even the older ones knew that's what we are (sometimes) doing in there. Maybe because we often really do just .... nap 😂

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

Maybe I'm naive but I'm pretty sure my DS who is 19 still doesn't know what we mean when we say we're going to go take an afternoon nap 😛

He and the older kids know we still have tea (duh, we just had a baby lol) and we are not shy about PDA's at all, and in our tea talks we've been clear that tea is awesome and we hope they have a great tea drinking relationship with their spouse someday. But it would really surprise me if even the older ones knew that's what we are (sometimes) doing in there. Maybe because we often really do just .... nap 😂

This sounds like my parents. Every Sunday afternoon they took a nap. I thought it was strange they WANTED to take a nap. But I never questioned that was what they were doing.  Who knows, maybe that is what they were doing.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who does nap with dh? I mean, he works nights. If I'm exhausted, I go up there and curl up with him.

Not everything is a euphemism. Get your minds out the gutter, folks! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3