Menu

Nail salon experience

SKL

No experience here - I opt for natural, short-clipped nails myself ... but my kids wanted a special manicure for their annual summer treat.  My eldest researched and found a nearby salon that would do what she wanted within my price range.  I sent them off today with an auntie and they came back with the nails they wanted.

But they reported kind of bad treatment.  For one thing, the filing or whatever was painful.  For another, when done with one hand, the guy basically flung the hand out of the way to make room for the other.  My eldest described her guy as "rude."  She also says the "rude" guy was the owner of the place.  I had read of these things in some of the online reviews, but overall reviews were positive and I thought, maybe these were drama queen / bridezillas or some exceptionally bad employee who has been fired.

My nail-savvy daughter also observed about the ethnicity of the people involved.  According to her, 95% of nail salons [including this one] are owned / operated by Vietnamese people, which she found interesting and wondered why.

I know I wasn't present, but the auntie who took them agreed with everything they said.  Also this was not their first manicure, and they have never complained about unpleasant treatment before.  So I was wondering - is this normal at a nail salon?  What's up with that?  Is it cultural?

[Before anyone jumps on "racism," be aware that both my daughters and their "auntie" are people of color and immigrants.  I don't think they are being racist, just honestly curious about their experience.]

I have had mani/pedis at high end salons and at busy high volume lower price point places, generally Vietnemese owned and the higher end places do just generally have better customer service.  But they also run about twice as expensive.   Services are slower, more methodical, I get offered coffee or tea, etc.   Cheaper places have really tight stations, people in and out, staff not chatty or friendly, etc.  

I found that story Selkie super interesting.  I always wondered about that.   I wish I could get a decent pedi for $25.  Even the cheaper places are more here. 

If something hurts, I would encourage your daughter to speak up in the future.  I think it's fair to leave a cool review and not return.  I just think in general you'll pay more for a "spa" experience.   

Edited by FuzzyCatz

I only go to the Vietnamese run places because they do a better job for less money.  i can get a mani/pedi for $30 including tip at the one next to dh's work.  I've never had anyone ever be rude to me but they certainly aren't chatty, which is fine by me because I don't like small talk.