Menu

Who's going to tackle Friday with me?

Jean in Newcastle

twins school work

gardening. I have almost finished getting the winter veggie garden fully planted and mulched. it has been my project for the last 2 weeks as it is the winter school holidays for Ds15. the garden is about the size of a basketball court.

somehow when I was digging a hole I thrust the shovel into the ground and it hit me in the head. I was completely stunned for a few moments. and lost my glasses. I found my glasses and my eye went all blurry. I walked  to the house and DH took my glasses to fix them as they were completely twisted. It was only then that I found out that I had cut a 2 cm gash in my eyebrow and the reason my vision was so blurry was because my eye was full of blood that was running down from the gash. it has healed itself but  around my eye is pretty swollen. Twin 2 tells me that I need to think about how to use a shovel before I use it and pay attention to what I am doing. -Great advice mate! 

• Like 6

Glad you are okay, Melissa! Advice from kids is the best.

We are going to have another hot day today. I have already watered and weeded. Not much else is on tap today. Dh has a tennis match later this afternoon.

• coffee/paper
  • ds3 to tennis
  • clean kitchen/general pickup
  • bathrooms
  • maybe some laundry
  • grocery store
  • jen things
  • finish a library book
  • Not sure what is for dinner or who will be here

Have a great day!

• Like 5

Good morning! 

Hi Melissa! Nice to "see" you here. Sorry about the shovel and your eye! Ouch!  

City Meet today! Hundreds and hundreds of swimmers. Thankfully,  ds is now in the oldest age group and their session goes reasonably fast. Heat index today near 100.  

Breakfast and pack cooler  

Get ds set up at the meet, then serve as a timer.  

Come home and recover  

Figure out dinner.  

Dd to a friend's house for a sleepover. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 5

Ouch, Melissa! Glad you're okay now. 

Jean, hopefully this is your last day chauffeuring your DS. Fingers crossed!

My day is an easy one -- work on the quilt. Try not to stalk the tracking for the fabric that's coming in for it. Work on the quilt. This honestly shouldn't take too much time -- sew a strip set of the reds, cut, sew into borders. Continue the strips of the greens, sew into borders. Attach. (back up; finish the applique from the incoming fabric first). Then the top will be done, I can detour next week to do the house wall hanging collage with my friend, and then still have three weeks after that to finish quilting. Easy peasy. I'm thinking I won't do elaborate quilting because I really want the applique's as the focus of the quilt. But also I do want to do *good* quilting because it shows up well on Cherrywood fabrics. So, we'll see. Should be plenty of time. Ha. Move in is Aug 15.....

Other than that, today I need to work on laundry that got neglected yesterday, and figure out dinner. I know it will involve brussels sprouts, and probably chicken. 

Tonight, I get to binge ER while the guys play video games. :happy sigh: 

Happy Friday, everyone!

• Like 5

Good morning!

Hurray for Friday! It is going to be hot here, too.

(((Melissa))) That sounds painful!

I was up early dealing with mold and shrews - which sounds kind of odd, lol. We had that whopper of a storm last week, and some rain seeped under the door of my biggest hayshed. I discovered yesterday that the entire floor had gotten wet, all the way to the back, and quite a few bales on the bottom row had become moldy as a result. Ds20 and I took all the hay out last night and tossed the moldy bales ($$$ down the drain 🙁) and cleaned up the floor. I knew we had some shrews living in there, but I didn't realize until we pulled the bales out that they had built an entire shrew metropolis in the back of the shed. So they have been evicted to the outdoors, and their nests and a huge volume of shrew poop have been cleaned up. Gross. Glad that job is done! The shed is clean and my hay guys are restocking the hay today.

• school w/dd
  • office work 
  • bathe horses
  • water plants, inside and out
  • menu plan
  • go to bank
  • maybe go grocery shopping 
  • dinner: ?? 
  • read & relax tonight
  • Like 4

ummm, yikes. holy crap. Went upstairs with DH while he ironed his pants. *I left the iron plugged in!!!!***  For......3 days???? crap crap crap. I am so glad my dumb cats didn't knock it down, or it otherwise start a fire, or.....yikes. It was still warm. 

Today's first order of business then is to go buy an iron with an automatic shut-off for any future just in case. DH was very nice about it. I don't know if he knows how very much that means to me. I mean, he said, "wow, you really have to be more careful. Or maybe buy an iron with a shut off. This could have been really scary." but in a tone of voice that was very....we're on the same team, and it's okay, I've been the one to do dumb stuff too, and I'm not mad at all, just saying, yikes, we need to be careful.  

I grew up with......not that....so to have him handle such a scary scary scary bit of negligence in such a calm, not freaking out, not mad, just matter of fact way.....I really don't think he gets how huge that is for me. I've told him before, there's a Kelly Clarkson song about piece by piece you put me back together......and he's heard the stories and knows what I grew  up with.....but, like, I was holding back tears of gratitude for how calmly he reacted, because the opposite, even after almost 22 yrs of marriage to this man, is still so ingrained in me. :sigh: 

Anyway, so, off to the store to buy an iron that won't risk burning my house down. 

• Like 5

• Bring in the rest of the stuff from the garage- mostly  
  • Put away 3 boxes worth of stuff  
  • take son up to shopping area to meet with friends  
  • shop for a few items while up there  
  • Keep working on organizing spices!~ 😁
  • Pick up bed frame from FB Marketplace purchase   
  • Call insurance and find out who I can make appt with for various medical needs
Edited by DawnM
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Headed to the goat show, then on to steers, drop off a longwool fleece to a cousin, then a walk, then the grocery store, then MORE coffee, then more laundry, then pop sales with the Scouts--they're saluting the flag at the rodeo tonight, and sil is singing the Anthem! We sold an insane amount of water last night. Dh picked out a door for the new bathroom today--hoping to have a toilet today! Parade tomorrow, charge up the camera again, auction, then hit the road back to DIA with sil. And that will be another Cattlemen's Days in the bag!

Margaret, can I ask a possibly dumb question? What is a longwool fleece? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheReader said:

ummm, yikes. holy crap. Went upstairs with DH while he ironed his pants. *I left the iron plugged in!!!!***  For......3 days???? crap crap crap. I am so glad my dumb cats didn't knock it down, or it otherwise start a fire, or.....yikes. It was still warm. 

Today's first order of business then is to go buy an iron with an automatic shut-off for any future just in case. DH was very nice about it. I don't know if he knows how very much that means to me. I mean, he said, "wow, you really have to be more careful. Or maybe buy an iron with a shut off. This could have been really scary." but in a tone of voice that was very....we're on the same team, and it's okay, I've been the one to do dumb stuff too, and I'm not mad at all, just saying, yikes, we need to be careful.  

I grew up with......not that....so to have him handle such a scary scary scary bit of negligence in such a calm, not freaking out, not mad, just matter of fact way.....I really don't think he gets how huge that is for me. I've told him before, there's a Kelly Clarkson song about piece by piece you put me back together......and he's heard the stories and knows what I grew  up with.....but, like, I was holding back tears of gratitude for how calmly he reacted, because the opposite, even after almost 22 yrs of marriage to this man, is still so ingrained in me. :sigh: 

Anyway, so, off to the store to buy an iron that won't risk burning my house down. 

I'm sorry you have such unhappy memories.  Nobody deserves that.  😞

• Like 6

rebooted the dishwasher

put away the knives

hand washed a ton of knives and pans. 

wiped down every surface that I could possibly wipe down in the kitchen

microwaved all my sponges to disinfect them.  Dh had gotten this new kind of sponge.  It melted into a pile of goo in the microwave. . .   

THE KITCHEN IS CLEAN!

• Like 4

Well I am bummed today.  I had set up a special nail appointment for my girls for their annual summer treat.  The appointment was for 10am.  Then I realized I had a conference call / client board meeting (I have to present financials at these) at 10:30.  I was going to try to make it work, but I was really nervous, and when I realized an auntie/colleague was free this morning, I asked her to take the girls.  They were disappointed and so was I.  (Plus, they were late and stressed me out even more.)  Then, what do you think?  Somehow my calendar note [emailed by the client] is for the wrong date!?  The client says her calendar note says July 26, so I don't know how this is even possible.  But whatever.  I missed my kids' special appointment for nothing.  😞

Anyhoo, the calendar note did motivate me to finish some things that have been on my to-do list for a while.  So that is good.

Also, last night I got all annoyed because the maids demanded a schedule change from 1pm to 8am this morning.  Then this morning they called and cancelled.  Yet another thing to get me all stressed out over nothing.  And to be relieved about once I found out it was for nothing.  😛  Glad I didn't stay up half the night cleaning like I wanted to - that would have really ticked me off.

Done:

• Up early to send out some financial reports.
  • Kids up & ready & off to nail appointment.
  • Sat on conference call for 15 minutes and then found out I had the wrong day.  😕
  • Got some more work out.
  • Got kids busy practicing their TKD form, doing some summer bridge work, and practicing their instruments.  (Theoretically.  I haven't heard any music yet.)
  • Caught up on social media, emails, news.

To do:

• More work.
  • Try to get through lots of personal emails and filing.  AHG, summer camp, bills, etc.
  • Take kids to TKD.
  • Dinner out.
  • Shop for camping stuff.
  • Wash clothes so kids can be clean for tomorrow's belt test.
  • Exercise?
  • Whatever else gets done.
  • Like 6

Bluebell the goofy lab has been banished from the back yard. There is a cardinal's nest in a little tree and Bluebell is obsessed with it - she sits and stares at it and barks. Mama bird is unhappy about the situation, so Bluebell is back in the house.

Got two loads of laundry washed. I need to go hang those and put away a few loads of clean stuff.

Kitchen is clean.

Got our hay delivery.

Bathed the horses and did chores.

I'm not ambitious enough to go grocery shopping today, so I need to figure out what I can make for dinner.

• Like 4

Ended up taking youngest and 4 of his friends to the local theme park (they all have summer passes) and had to drive to each of their homes to collect them first.  That ended up taking quite a bit of time.

I am happy to do it, but it does take time.

I did not call the insurance company or any doctors.  That will have to wait until Monday.  Part of the issue is I can't find my insurance card.  I may have to call and get a replacement.

My goals for the summer are:

Physical (it has been about 6 years)

Mammogram (3 years)

Colonoscopy (never)

Dentist (3 years)

Eye Doctor (4 years)

Pap (over 10 years)

• Like 5

Well, I got back and bought the iron. Yay! It shuts off no matter what position you leave it in, so we should be safe. Egads. 

Also bought 2 new shirts, and 3 large storage crates (so cheap!) for trying to create order in my corner of the bedroom with all the school stuff. It's a mess, DH won't let me buy a bookshelf b/c  he says he'll build one. Which he will.....but the mess is annoying me. So, crates. Because then after the shelf, I can use them for toting things to/from school, and they are cute. Turquoise. So, totally worth it. 

Went up and sewed for about an hour; have maybe half the strip set made. Had to come down and eat a snack, then DH got home, and now sitting with my feet propped up finishing my snack (DH came home in the middle of it). I'd like to get that done today, the strip set, but being honest.....hopefully by the weekend I'll have the top done. The "deadline" for this part (self-imposed) is by the end of Tuesday, so I can clean up on Weds, and my friend comes over Thursday to do the house thing. So, lots of time, just need to do it. In between I'm working on school stuff, so it's not procrastinating, just juggling more than one to-do-list item. 

Did not touch the laundry yet, so need to do that. I need DH to carry up the basket from our room so I'll load the wash tonight when he does that. For real. 

• Like 4