Menu

For those who have used Hake Grammar...

maptime

About how long would you say each grammar lesson takes?  I'm looking at this for my 5th grader, and would have him write directly in the textbook instead of copying into a notebook to save time.  I'm toying with the idea of having him go through Fix-It Grammar at the same time, as he could use the targeted editing practice.  Would the two together be complete overkill?  

We used Hake grammar. I agree, Hake is enough on its own. (We tried Fix-It somewhere along the way but dropped it quickly, after the first or two unit, I think.) I had DS do just the odds or just the evens in Hake and I also let him write in the book. It usually took about 20 minutes per lesson, as I recall. Grammar sections only, none of the other stuff. Three days per week. We spread one level over two years, and did two levels that way, spread over 5th thru 8th grade. FWIW, DS took the ACT for the first time in 10th grade, got a perfect (36) score on the English section, and he mostly credits Hake for that. 

ETA - The reason we spread each level of Hake that we used over two years is because once I compared the Table of Contents from each level, it became clear that the levels are repetitive/similar and build slowly due to the spiral review. So we used level 5 for 2 years, and level 7 or 8 (can't remember which now) for 2 years.  You could do the same with level 6 and level 8, we just used level 5 because I had already purchased it before I thought to compare the levels to each other.

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1

I agree that it took somewhere in the 20-30 minute range for my girls, although they did all the work (but we’re fairly quick workers). 

I would definitely not advise doing Hake AND another full program like Fix-It. I’d say neither would get done well and there would be redundancy between the two. Hake is much more comprehensive.

• Like 1

Such helpful feedback, thank you everyone.  We will just stick to Hake!

12 hours ago, TarynB said:

ETA - The reason we spread each level of Hake that we used over two years is because once I compared the Table of Contents from each level, it became clear that the levels are repetitive/similar and build slowly due to the spiral review. So we used level 5 for 2 years, and level 7 or 8 (can't remember which now) for 2 years.  You could do the same with level 6 and level 8, we just used level 5 because I had already purchased it before I thought to compare the levels to each other.

I know I remember reading somewhere that two of the levels are almost identical to each other, but now I can't remember which ones (I think it was either 4/5 or 5/ 6).  Do you happen to know?  That would be helpful info to have in case we need to slow things down and/or decide to skip a level. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maptime said:

I know I remember reading somewhere that two of the levels are almost identical to each other, but now I can't remember which ones (I think it was either 4/5 or 5/ 6).  Do you happen to know?  That would be helpful info to have in case we need to slow things down and/or decide to skip a level. 

I can't remember specifically - it has been 5 or 6 years ago now for us. You should be able to see the Table of Contents in a preview at Christian Book Distributors' website. (CBD usually does a great job in general of putting up good book previews.) Here's a link to level 5:  https://www.christianbook.com/grammar-writing-grade-5-1st-edition/stephen-hake/9781419098369/pd/998369?event=ESRCG

Also, this scope and sequence on the publisher's website might be helpful, although it is at a pretty high level: http://www.hakepublishing.com/support-files/grammar_and_writing_scope_and_sequence.pdf

ETA - I also just noticed this blurb at the bottom of the S&S (bolding by me):

Please Note: No prior grammar instruction is required to begin at any grade level. Older students beginning the curriculum in later grades will not miss any grammar content, since prior-year topics are fully reviewed in the upper grades. The grade levels are differentiated by reading level, vocabulary difficulty, curriculum standards, and the overall pace and depth of instruction. For best results, we recommend that students start at their comfortable reading level, but not higher than their current grade level, and complete a minimum of two years of the program.

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1