Menu

Beast Academy

QueenLiza

I am new to home schooling, but not to after-schooling:) Looking to add more math to my daughter, who is 7. I see a lot of people on the forum recommending Beast Academy. What format are you using - online or workbooks? Is the textbook necessary? thanks!

I have no experience with BA online, or with the BA 2 level.

If you decide to go with the paper format you will need the guide book (comic book), which includes all the teaching and the practice book, which includes all the practice problems along with a few more pointers as to how to use the information that was just taught. If you do decide to go the book route, make sure you look at the assessment tests for the different level books to make sure you purchase the one where your daughter is at. 

Just remember that BA is not a good fit for every kid. That is one reason why there are so many math curriculum to choose from. There are samples of every guide and practice book online. It might be worth it to show some to your daughter and see if she likes the format and can do some problems. 

I used BA 3-5 for DS10, starting with physical books and moving to the online when it came out, at book 4C. I've just started level 2 with DS7, and we are going back to physical books for him. 

While I enjoyed the way the online program is set up, these two kids tend to easy frustration when getting problems wrong. The computer just seemed to amplify DD10's frustration and he wouldn't move on until I explained how he had gotten a problem wrong. I may move to the online version eventually for DD7, but for now we will stick to physical books. And yes, you do need the guide books, that's where the concepts are introduced and where the fun is!

We used BA 3-5 books before the online version was out. I think my daughter probably would have preferred the online version, with one problem on the screen at a time and teaching videos to watch, but she still loved the offline version. If you do use the books, I would definitely get the guides; they’re the fun, colorful teaching part. Plus, the beasts are great at modeling getting problems wrong, trying different approaches, and continuing to work through hard stuff.

I don’t have one of the magical WTM kids whom I hand over the work and they go off and finish the whole thing before breakfast for fun and ask for more more more. Which is to say, math, at this age (8) is very hands on. I have both the online version and the books, and I much much prefer the physical books, for this hands on thing we have going here. As a matter of fact I bought the online and it just didn’t work, had to order the books. As another reference point my dd’s friend for whom I bought the online as well and who is probably math gifted, hasn’t touched it either (bc I get the weekly reports). So online was basically a waste of $ here but she has enjoyed the videos occasionally. So I’m glad it exists 🙂

Edited by madteaparty

I've used BA through 4c with my kids (so far, that's where dd8 is). I use both online and books. I have dd8 do 30 minutes in the book and 30 minutes online. Online, she's allowed to work in any chapter, starting at the beginning of the chapters. I use this as review and further practice. She really enjoys it. Dd7 does the book for 25 minutes and online for 20 minutes. Dd10 doesn't do BA at all, as it would be a horrible fit for her. Dd8 and Dd7 both have an easy time with math and need only little help from me. I read them the guide because they like that and help with occasional problems, usually star problems.

If you get a year subscription online, you can get a full set of books, guides, and online for $150. That's what I've done so far. I believe there is some sort of free trial for online, so you could try it and see if you like it before committing.

Edited by MeaganS