Menu

Science for 6th Grader

My4arrows

I'm struggling finding a science for my sixth grader.  He is not one that enjoys science at all.  But he loves reading!  I wanted to find a literature based science for him that would require little experiments or worksheets.  He has done Sassfrass in the past and enjoyed it, but I read it aloud and fixed errors in grammar and such.  

Any suggestions as to where to look?  I'd also like for it to be fairly independent.

Also if he enjoyed Sassafras he might like the Quark Chronicles put out by Barefoot Meandering.  From what I understand it’s similar in that it’s science embedded in a story, but the quality (and level of content) is higher.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, maptime said:

Also if he enjoyed Sassafras he might like the Quark Chronicles put out by Barefoot Meandering.  From what I understand it’s similar in that it’s science embedded in a story, but the quality (and level of content) is higher.  

Thank you!  Yes, I should have mentioned that we have actually already done these before.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem that they've continued writing them.  It's been a few years without any additions.  That's why we picked up Sassafras for other topics.

• Like 1

The Scientists in the Field series books are great. We use library books and articles from National Geographic and other magazines for Science. 

My kids dislike textbooks, so we don't use them until high school.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

I decided I was going to piece together a 2 year general science(gr 6-7)  Ds will do EE for 8th.

Take a look at Guest Hollow's schedules. Lit based.  Very nicely done.

I am using a modified GH Jr Anatomy with books I have/library books/bought a few fun ones.  I will use HO Medicine-Tiner also.  If we get bored, we will do EM Rocks and Dirt and I have some life science videos ready.  

We are also working our way through the Story of Science books in middle school. It's a lot of just reading.

• Like 1

My kids (currently 9yo and 12yo) have done well with read-aloud based science units.  We just finished one for Earth Science, and there is a full book list here (plus field trip and project ideas):

https://www.nourishedandnurturedlife.com/post/earth-science-unit-study

I also have a list of books and simple projects for Astronomy here:

https://www.nourishedandnurturedlife.com/post/astronomy-unit-study-resources

I hope this helps!

• Like 2

On 7/11/2019 at 9:04 PM, ScoutTN said:

The Scientists in the Field series books are great. We use library books and articles from National Geographic and other magazines for Science. 

I haven't heard of these before!  Thank you for sharing.  If these don't work for DS they will work for another who is doing an Around the World Study.  Plus the library has a ton!

On 7/11/2019 at 6:16 PM, Amateur Actress said:

We have liked Apologia's Exploring Creation Books with the Student Notebooking Journal.  Lots of activities and experiments.  We've done the Swimming Creatures of the 5th Day and Anatomy.  Definitely can be done independently.  

I haven't dived into these yet, but I do have one child who loves science and textbooks who will start using it.  Unfortunately, ODS already looked at them and gave a flat out no.  He is the exact opposite!

13 hours ago, SarahNN said:

My kids (currently 9yo and 12yo) have done well with read-aloud based science units.  We just finished one for Earth Science, and there is a full book list here (plus field trip and project ideas):

https://www.nourishedandnurturedlife.com/post/earth-science-unit-study

I also have a list of books and simple projects for Astronomy here:

https://www.nourishedandnurturedlife.com/post/astronomy-unit-study-resources

I hope this helps!

Thanks for sharing!  These are great!  I'm definitely saving this as a great resource while I dive into planning his science specifically.