Menu

Website Grocery Shopping with drive up pick up

Mbelle

How do you make this faster? 

I have tried to do it several times and there are usually at least a dozen pages per category.  It seems to take forever to click through them to shop.

I do have things I regularly get, but a lot of time seeing stuff reminds me that I also need something or even that I want to try something new.

I am determined to do this today and right now I have about 6 things in my cart and I've been shopping for 30 min.  If I went to the store I'd be checking out with a buggy full of stuff already.  

Give me your tips for speedy shopping, which is why I want to do this.  

I make a list and then I specifically search: red onion or tomato sauce. Then if I want a certain brand I get it, otherwise I see what's on sale that week. 

I shop Harris Teeter online every week. They have an option like mentioned above, to choose from last week's order. I do that for my staples that I get each week: milk, eggs, creamer, etc. I just fly down the list and click-click-click. Then I do recipe specific items. 

• Like 1

Oh my gosh, this is frustrating.  I was hoping to nail this new shopping thing down today before the school year starts next month and save myself time, but I can see it might work for staples, but for finding things that appeal to me it would take forever.  

I will add the app and add things that we are out of, hopefully that will save some time.  

I'm laughing at myself about how upset I am at this not working as quickly as I would like.  This is the 3rd time I"ve tried this.  

I do make lists as well, but I am an undershopper, so I need to SEE what is in the store for extra stuff so I don't have to keep going back.

I did search for Grapefruit Bubly and it came up with so many buying options.  Like buy 2 or buy a mixed pack and save.  

It gets easier each time you do it because you can select items from your past orders. However, I don't think it saves time for me personally. It takes awhile for me to sift through my orders and decide what I need. Ordering online helps me buy exactly what I need, though, because I can check my kitchen. I also have my kids add items to the cart, so I'm getting more of what people want. I also like that I can build my order online before I go to bed and then pick it up in the morning. Also, my store is constantly being reorganized, so this saves me a lot of frustration since I no longer have to hunt things down!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I spend much less/week when I shop online. Apparently I add unnecessary items in the cart when I shop in person (like donuts... or items I already have in the pantry). Shopping online: I watch the price creep up and I ruthlessly cull my cart. 

Yes, this!

• Like 1

I use the search feature for the things I need.  I have a list made to go through.  After a while it seems like the store website puts the brands and sizes I typically buy (online and in store) at the top of the search results.

• Like 1

When I decided to give the Walmart pickup a try I spent down time over the course of a week browsing and adding favorites (like while waiting for my dd at dance, while watching tv at night, etc). 

I had honestly always resisted because I thought the initial time spent getting going with it would be too much. It has gotten much faster and I’ve only been at it a couple weeks. I don’t do it all at once though. I add items as I realize I need them and then before I place the order I do a quick run through of the staples and make sure I have everything. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

When I decided to give the Walmart pickup a try I spent down time over the course of a week browsing and adding favorites (like while waiting for my dd at dance, while watching tv at night, etc). 

I had honestly always resisted because I thought the initial time spent getting going with it would be too much. It has gotten much faster and I’ve only been at it a couple weeks. I don’t do it all at once though. I add items as I realize I need them and then before I place the order I do a quick run through of the staples and make sure I have everything. 

I think this is what I'm going to have to do.  Otherwise it's way too overwhelming.

I just got back from grocery shopping with my daughter and I think we will have to combine the pick up and the actual going to the store.  We would have had no idea that the peaches and plums are perfect right now and a few other items we didn't know we needed until we saw them.

What I'm hoping for is that during fall semester with DE, hybrid school class and X-country we can depend a bit more on pick up to save us time and sanity.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 1:28 PM, Mbelle said:

I do make lists as well, but I am an undershopper, so I need to SEE what is in the store for extra stuff so I don't have to keep going back.

I did search for Grapefruit Bubly and it came up with so many buying options.  Like buy 2 or buy a mixed pack and save.  

If nobody puts it on the list, nobody needs it. And if I do have to go back in a few days, it's no big deal, I'm just making another online order and driving up again, lol.  

You'll see those same options in the store itself, so just pick what you want. Or search for what you want to begin with. Like I don't search for bread, I search for "Sara Lee multigrain" and so on. And yes, it will remember what you buy and it becomes easier in that way. 

I regard not being reminded of other things I might want as a feature, not a bug, lol. 

• Like 2

On 7/11/2019 at 3:03 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I have noticed that with the Walmart Grocery site for instance, the more I shop, the more the AI *knows* what I need/am missing. As I go to check out the "Are you missing anything?" page pops up with a helpful list of our most usual buys. But I've been doing this for a couple or years now, so it's got a lot to work with, LOL. Depending on where you're shopping that part might get better in time for you. 

I really wish under-shopping was my problem! I think I hate going back so much I end up over-shopping instead. 

Yeah, the Walmart app is really getting to know me.   But I’m a detailed list maker (whether I’m going to a store or shopping online), so it’s pretty rare for me to forget something. I generally stick to the search button and cross off each item on my list in person or while entering my order.

My preferred grocery store has a terrible online system. Their search key doesn’t really work on my iPad.  It does let me shop right from the circular if I so choose, though. I find myself doing more in-person shops for the regular grocery store and most of my online shops with Walmart. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

This is how I do it, too.

Plus, even if I were to spend *hours* putting the list together, it would still be faster than spending two or three hours in the grocery store each week.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mbelle said:

I think this is what I'm going to have to do.  Otherwise it's way too overwhelming.

I just got back from grocery shopping with my daughter and I think we will have to combine the pick up and the actual going to the store.  We would have had no idea that the peaches and plums are perfect right now and a few other items we didn't know we needed until we saw them.

What I'm hoping for is that during fall semester with DE, hybrid school class and X-country we can depend a bit more on pick up to save us time and sanity.

I’ve used the online ordering from Kroger on busy weeks.  You can look through the sale ad and digital coupons to get the best prices and you can usually tell by the ad that it’s a good time to buy certain fruits.  My mom won’t use online ordering because she worries about getting not so great produce, but I’ve never had a problem with an online order.

I am 8 weeks post concussion and remain unable to drive a car or shop in a grocery store. 

INSTACART.  Right after my injury, we did the 2 weeks free trial and quickly saw what a game changer it would be for us (given the circumstances) so signed up for a year.  It works out to $8 a month (for a year)and a minimum $35 order.  

They shop and deliver from Costco, Sams Club, both major grocery stores here and Sprouts.  Tips are optional. Usually delivered in 2 hours.  Costco has an upcharge on a few items- everyone else is normal and sale pricing.

Its amazing.  They are not great with all produce but overall it’s still amazing. A life changer for me but a very helpful time saver- especially when needing specifics from a few stores.  

Yesterday I had deliveries from King Soopers/Kroger, Costco and Sams club to get ready for weekend. Three different people so $10 TOTAL on tips as they were very small orders.  

I order simply by searching for specific items.  And then can look at previous orders.  They contact me (only happened once) if something is out of stock and haven’t chosen a replacement. 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone!f  I'm going to keep adding to my cart for next Friday.

I did not know about the Costco and Instacart and we do 50% of our shopping at Costco.  With homeschooling the little one and Senior year for my middle son we are about to have a crazy year.  

Instacard is crazy expensive in my area, but I'm out a bit from the metropolitan area.

I use a local chain grocery store and Wal-Mart. Such a timesaver. I go through what I've bought before to get the staples I buy every week, and then shop the sales.

On 7/12/2019 at 2:56 PM, Mbelle said:

It does take practice.  Sometimes I forget to add something, but I just run in and get that real fast and then drive around to the pick up area.  I am determined to do it this way.  I am also hoping to do my boss's shopping this way too.