Menu

what's the dumbest thing you've ever heard?

gardenmom5

On 7/15/2019 at 12:31 PM, heartlikealion said:

Not the dumbest thing but frustrated me. I tried to mail a letter to my sister in England. The postal worker put the wrong postage on it (dh took it inside the post office for me) and the letter came back. I was like what the heck?! Turned out she thought New England ... ? I normally write “air mail” on both sides of the envelope and write “UNITED KINGDOM.” I am not sure about that time, but I know it had her address written correctly. She lives in London. Come on. To be honest, I was upset with both of them lol What a huge delay. 

I now have trust issues with mail lol I try to keep some stamps on hand just for my sister. 

The worst for me was the time I was changing an existing flight  from DFW to Manchester, England.   I was just changing the date.  She also changed the flight to Manchester ...  wherever that is in America.   She was so proud of herself that the flight was cheaper.  If it was a new flight, I get that it would have been my fault for not being clear.   That is why I usually used the airport codes.  Fortunately, I caught the mistake before the flight. 

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Years ago, someone asked me when I was visiting the US where I came from.  I said 'England' (which is both true and usually better understood than Great Britain or the UK).  The reply came, 'You mean New England?'.  I didn't mean to be snarky, but what popped out of my mouth was, 'No, Old England'. 

What is extra weird about that is that no one would ever say that were from New England.  They would name their state and/or city.   Someone might do a New England vacation, or say that they are thinking about moving to the New England area when they haven't narrowed it down more than that. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, shawthorne44 said:

The worst for me was the time I was changing an existing flight  from DFW to Manchester, England.   I was just changing the date.  She also changed the flight to Manchester ...  wherever that is in America.   She was so proud of herself that the flight was cheaper.  If it was a new flight, I get that it would have been my fault for not being clear.   That is why I usually used the airport codes.  Fortunately, I caught the mistake before the flight. 

I looked it up.  Manchester is in new Hampshire.  (there is also one in Indiana - outside Cincinnati ohio.)

glad you caught it.  I recall a news article about a couple going on their dream vaca to granada….  the person booking the tickets input Grenada.   they didn't realize it until they landed.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, shawthorne44 said:

What is extra weird about that is that no one would ever say that were from New England.  They would name their state and/or city.   Someone might do a New England vacation, or say that they are thinking about moving to the New England area when they haven't narrowed it down more than that. 

I also have a very obvious RP English accent, much more pronounced back then. Like the cast of Four Weddings and a Funeral.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SKL said:

Well technically it isn't "bleeding" like other kinds of bleeding. 

I don't have anything against mentioning it in school, but even if they added it to every middle school curriculum right now, everyone over the age of 13 or 14 would still have to learn it some other way.

Well, not only that, but since when does every kid remember every detail of what they were taught in *any* class at school? 

When my own dd experienced menarch, she was still confused about some of the details, even though I had thoroughly and explicitly informed her of what was to come. She still had a mistaken idea that she would now have bleeding coming along all of the time until menapause. 

It’s not difficult for me to imagine a man not understanding some finer point of how it goes. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Interesting.  I had to look that up.  I had never even noticed how MD is situated exactly.  But I also don't live there....never been there.

Eh, well, if people who actually live here can be unaware, I think you get a pass. 😄

I know Maryland is The Forgotten State. I swear people who don’t live around here think Virginia abuts Pennsylvania. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Quill said:

Well, not only that, but since when does every kid remember every detail of what they were taught in *any* class at school? 

When my own dd experienced menarch, she was still confused about some of the details, even though I had thoroughly and explicitly informed her of what was to come. She still had a mistaken idea that she would now have bleeding coming along all of the time until menapause. 

It’s not difficult for me to imagine a man not understanding some finer point of how it goes. 

Agreed.  Despite intending to prepare my kids, apparently it didn't get through to them that their period was going to be EVERY month for like 40 years.  Like they somehow got the idea it was a one time thing.  I am sure I told them otherwise.  Plus, they were aware (I thought) of me having mine periodically still, so ... and yet ....

Edited by SKL
  • Like 4

I have no idea what my dh thinks.  I’ve never once had a conversation with him about menstruation and he’s never bought products for me. That’s not on him, that’s on me.  I just don’t want to talk to him about it.  Not sure why.  I just don’t.  Poor man may be wallowing in extreme ignorance, I don’t know.  

When I taught my oldest biology and we got to the human reproduction section, I tried to think of every single nuance about menstruation that I could, even as far as things like how he might be at a pool party that was scheduled for weeks and one of the girls might suddenly decide that day that she doesn’t want to swim and he’s not to hassle her about it because she might be menstruating and not want to make a big announcement about it to everyone.  I taught him the biology of it (the uterus will shed the lining), the nitty gritty (blood comes out and you can’t stop it), the practical (these are the things women use to catch the blood: pad, tampon, cup), and the ugly (cramps, mood swings, stains on clothing, suddenly canceling things due to cramps, heavy flow, etc.).   

I may need to revisit that lesson, just to make sure he remembered it all, because we haven’t talked about it before or since.  My youngest knows some of the mechanics, but not the entire lesson with all the nitty gritty details.  That’s scheduled for this year.  (Maybe I should have my dh sit in on it, just so I know that he knows everything!  😄 )

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Garga said:

I have no idea what my dh thinks.  I’ve never once had a conversation with him about menstruation and he’s never bought products for me. That’s not on him, that’s on me.  I just don’t want to talk to him about it.  Not sure why.  I just don’t.  Poor man may be wallowing in extreme ignorance, I don’t know.  

When I taught my oldest biology and we got to the human reproduction section, I tried to think of every single nuance about menstruation that I could, even as far as things like how he might be at a pool party that was scheduled for weeks and one of the girls might suddenly decide that day that she doesn’t want to swim and he’s not to hassle her about it because she might be menstruating and not want to make a big announcement about it to everyone.  I taught him the biology of it (the uterus will shed the lining), the nitty gritty (blood comes out and you can’t stop it), the practical (these are the things women use to catch the blood: pad, tampon, cup), and the ugly (cramps, mood swings, stains on clothing, suddenly canceling things due to cramps, heavy flow, etc.).   

I may need to revisit that lesson, just to make sure he remembered it all, because we haven’t talked about it before or since.  My youngest knows some of the mechanics, but not the entire lesson with all the nitty gritty details.  That’s scheduled for this year.  (Maybe I should have my dh sit in on it, just so I know that he knows everything!  😄 )

Who knows how many future women you have impacted with your willingness to so thoroughly educate your sons! Way to go, Mom! 

• Like 1